Let’s just TALK about it...

LolJustAdmitMe

2 hours ago, eighty8keys said:

Anybody actively unsubscribing from emails and filtering emails so that they don't get notified by annoying frequent newsletters and such? I would get excited that I got an email, and then see it was just junk.

Now I hate all the letters my Department Assistant sent to us. I don't care about the stupid printer or something else, AT ALL. 

I guess my anxiety and lack of sleep these days make me much easier on the trigger.

2 hours ago, realllllJulia said:

Now I hate all the letters my Department Assistant sent to us. I don't care about the stupid printer or something else, AT ALL. 

I guess my anxiety and lack of sleep these days make me much easier on the trigger.

I literally dreamed that I was just sitting and waiting for results. Like refreshing pages and checking emails. It was horrible. But honestly, it might be better than my dreams of getting into grad school and then waking up and realizing it was just a dream.

Two rejections in, and I'm feeling like I must have been delusional or something when I applied. Trying not to let that influence the one interview I do have coming up :(

I got my rejection letter last week-- the first and only update from 9 applications. Now and then, my mind just assumes a total failure! In particular, the results page shows people applying my program get interview emails but I check several times but have nothing. It really kills me. So I really understand you, @Psygeek! And @surprise_quiche is right, hope is all we have! 

"All human wisdom is summed up in two words: wait and hope."

Another day without any information...! I know I should reach out for jobs as plan B, and try to enjoy life more, but I guess the waiting out process paralyzes me. Any advice?

On 1/23/2018 at 10:21 AM, ShewantsthePhD101 said:

YES. 

I've been asked by family, friends, my recommenders, etc. And I decided I wasn't even going to rank programs until I knew where I was accepted if I could help it.

Yea. It’s driving me crazy. Then if I talk to my mom about any of the programs, she will say, “oh looks like you are leaning towards *insert program here*”

Ugh! No, stop analyzing my random conversations. Lol 

I am stuck between two programs. One is my dream, my top choice, and the other is amazing as well, and has wonderful professors and opportunities. However it is kind of overshadowed by my dream school because they are in the same city. 

I feel stuck because if my dream school gave me even 3k more in funding a year I would send in my acceptance of their offer right now. But I feel like I don't have any way of negotiating for more money because my other offers haven't said anything about funding yet. 

and I feel like no one gets it, people just keep saying to go to the cheaper school but, like the other is my dream!!

On 1/23/2018 at 9:27 AM, biostat314 said:

I don't have a good answer to that - even when presented with admissions statistics, they still insist that I'll be fine. While I appreciate their confidence in me, I wish I could sometimes get support in the anxiety rather than dismissal!

This! My best friend thinks I'm going to get accepted to all the schools I applied to and I know that won't be the case. I just wish close friends/family could empathize. 

8 hours ago, HannahRae said:

I am stuck between two programs. One is my dream, my top choice, and the other is amazing as well, and has wonderful professors and opportunities. However it is kind of overshadowed by my dream school because they are in the same city. 

I feel stuck because if my dream school gave me even 3k more in funding a year I would send in my acceptance of their offer right now. But I feel like I don't have any way of negotiating for more money because my other offers haven't said anything about funding yet. 

and I feel like no one gets it, people just keep saying to go to the cheaper school but, like the other is my dream!!

Go for your dream school! You can always apply for external fellowships. You don't want to end up in the position of going to the cheaper school and then pondering the "what if's." That could be detrimental to your success as a graduate student if it gets the best of you. 

So happy this thread exists. This is my third round of applications and I am incredibly nervous.

Field: 20th century and contemporary American Lit, focus on ethnic American lit (identity, race, ethnicity, history, politics).

3.68 undergrad GPA, 4.04 MA GPA. TA in MA program, now almost two full years of adjunct teaching experience at a local university, teaching both Lit and Composition.

GRE 160 Verbal, 5 W, 138 Quant (terrible at math/math anxiety). Terrible on subject test,  but only two programs required it.

This round I applied to 9 programs, 7 English Lit and 2 American Studies.

Also have numerous awards, 2 academic articles forthcoming, 14 or so poetry publications, numerous conference presentations, participated at the 2017 Futures of American Studies Institute at Dartmouth College.

Got a letter of rec this round from one of my POIs at USC (met him at Futures); he helped me with app materials and strongly recommended my app to the English Dept. Fingers crossed, as USC has been my top choice for the last two years.

My top 3 programs are University of Southern California for English (USC), UC Irvine for English, and SUNY Binghamton for English, tied with USC for American Studies.

Being rejected my second round absolutely crushed me; I really hope this is when I get in. I just need a shot!

1 hour ago, LibraryLivingJT said:

So happy this thread exists. This is my third round of applications and I am incredibly nervous.

Field: 20th century and contemporary American Lit, focus on ethnic American lit (identity, race, ethnicity, history, politics).

3.68 undergrad GPA, 4.04 MA GPA. TA in MA program, now almost two full years of adjunct teaching experience at a local university, teaching both Lit and Composition.

GRE 160 Verbal, 5 W, 138 Quant (terrible at math/math anxiety). Terrible on subject test,  but only two programs required it.

This round I applied to 9 programs, 7 English Lit and 2 American Studies.

Also have numerous awards, 2 academic articles forthcoming, 14 or so poetry publications, numerous conference presentations, participated at the 2017 Futures of American Studies Institute at Dartmouth College.

Got a letter of rec this round from one of my POIs at USC (met him at Futures); he helped me with app materials and strongly recommended my app to the English Dept. Fingers crossed, as USC has been my top choice for the last two years.

My top 3 programs are University of Southern California for English (USC), UC Irvine for English, and SUNY Binghamton for English, tied with USC for American Studies.

Being rejected my second round absolutely crushed me; I really hope this is when I get in. I just need a shot!

Irvine's awesome (I say this as a senior there, though chemistry)

I wish you the best of luck!

Was talking yesterday to a friend at one of the programs I applied to and she mentioned the faculty had a meeting that day and she thinks it was about applications. I was with my mom at the time so I mentioned it offhand. Well, first thing this morning, my mom is asking if I've heard from that program or any of my remaining programs yet. -__- 

My dad has just taken to telling people it looks like I'm probably going to UConn. Don't get me wrong, absolutely love what I know of the program and people there and I'm visiting next week, but I don't want to make a decision until I know if I've received other acceptances and had a chance to visit those programs too.

On 1/23/2018 at 11:10 AM, phyanth said:

I just say that out of hundreds of applications, they only pick one or two people for my subfield. If they still have hope, I just chuckle and say, "we'll just wait and see". 

I have to say this all the time! And "people get rejected who already have PhDs and Masters in related fields with relevant work experience, publications and volunteer work." 

It is not even February and I haven't heard back from anyone but I am having a hard time trying to stay optimistic. Even though I am not the strongest applicant, I hope I'm given a chance somewhere. I feel like I should start preparing my backup plans to soften the blow from all the rejections. 

Edited by andnothing

10 hours ago, andnothing said:

It is not even February and I haven't heard back from anyone but I am having a hard time trying to stay optimistic. Even though I am not the strongest applicant, I hope I'm given a chance somewhere. I feel like I should start preparing my backup plans to soften the blow from all the rejections. 

Keep your chin up. I'm not the strongest applicant either, and have not received any acceptances (or rejections) so far. Here are my weaknesses: I have a very average (foreign) undergraduate GPA, which, if you try to convert it to a 4-point scale, looks downright ridiculous. I have zero research experience, and there aren't any real opportunities to change that in my current location. I do not have a very specific research project in mind. Just putting that out there. Whatever makes you 'not the strongest applicant', there are bound to be others like you, and there must be faculty who are willing to overlook some weaknesses if they 'see something' in your application.

There is no reason to despair this early in the season, I'd say. But.. Yes, I think you absolutely should start working on a backup plan. It will take your mind off the wait! Maybe your plan could involve something like working part time and volunteering at a research lab at an institution near you. Or whatever else you can do to make yourself more competitive if you need to reapply next year.

My backup plan is so good there will be some level of disappointment if I actually do get in. ;-)

Good luck!

On 1/27/2018 at 2:41 AM, WatchfulWombat said:

Keep your chin up. I'm not the strongest applicant either, and have not received any acceptances (or rejections) so far. Here are my weaknesses: I have a very average (foreign) undergraduate GPA, which, if you try to convert it to a 4-point scale, looks downright ridiculous. I have zero research experience, and there aren't any real opportunities to change that in my current location. I do not have a very specific research project in mind. Just putting that out there. Whatever makes you 'not the strongest applicant', there are bound to be others like you, and there must be faculty who are willing to overlook some weaknesses if they 'see something' in your application.

There is no reason to despair this early in the season, I'd say. But.. Yes, I think you absolutely should start working on a backup plan. It will take your mind off the wait! Maybe your plan could involve something like working part time and volunteering at a research lab at an institution near you. Or whatever else you can do to make yourself more competitive if you need to reapply next year.

My backup plan is so good there will be some level of disappointment if I actually do get in. ;-)

Good luck!

Thanks for the support everyone! I know it's ridiculous to be so pessimistic this early but I just have that feeling in my gut that it's not going to work out. I tried to make it clear in my SOP that I was working on my weaknesses, mainly my language requirement, and that my grades improved after I switched majors. My hope is that someone will see potential in my application. 

I am turning 30 this year so I don't know if I want to go through another year of this again. I don't have much opportunities to improve my application. I could take the GRE again and I could probably narrow down and clarify my research interests in my SOP. I could look into scholarships to study abroad but I don't know what I would qualify for. For some reason, I have this internal time clock that is telling me that time is running out and I need to see settle on a career. 

I can only hope that all this worrying and stress will be for nothing and I'll be accepted somewhere. It certainly helps being able to express this feeling of apprehension here.

Best of luck to everyone!