Let’s just TALK about it...

LolJustAdmitMe

25 minutes ago, khigh said:

I honestly think my stress will go DOWN if I get in.  In undergrad, I was used to working 16 hour days on campus between taking 18 credit hours and being President of the Student Government Association my senior year (VP junior year).  I thrive on research, writing, classes, reading, and long hours.  This gap year has been brutal so far.  I'm antsy. 

I think I will be more stressed, but it will be a better type of stress. The stress I'm experiencing now is a kind of powerless, watching my future be manhandled my an adcom type of stress. Grad school obviously isn't all highs, but you can at least channel the stress of wanting to get published, establishing good advisor relationships, etc into something productive. I guess, I was trying to emphasize that part of me feels like I'll be set once I get into grad school, but I'm now thinking that there will certainly be a lot of mountains to climb in the future (hopefully!)

26 minutes ago, Carly Rae Jepsen said:

New week means more possibilities of hearing back from programs, right? I'm too hyped now. If I don't hear anything I'll feel awful.

I feel you. I know there's pain in also knowing the date when admissions results come out, but ugh!!! It's so taxing waking up every day hoping that this will be it.

My parents keep talking about how much they want me to get into my top school and it's driving me crazy! I'm pretty sure I'm receiving a rejection at this point so it's pretty frustrating. I managed to get 2 interviews from my other schools and they don't even seem to care...

12 hours ago, khigh said:

I honestly think my stress will go DOWN if I get in.  In undergrad, I was used to working 16 hour days on campus between taking 18 credit hours and being President of the Student Government Association my senior year (VP junior year).  I thrive on research, writing, classes, reading, and long hours.  This gap year has been brutal so far.  I'm antsy. 

Yes, this is me too! As an undergrad, I took classes full-time, worked at least 20 hours/week, and did undergraduate research and wrote a thesis. I was always very busy and never had free time, but I thrived. I'm in my gap year and I can't take it. I need to go back to school.

Is anybody else getting the, “what school do you want the most?” Type of questions from family when you honestly won’t know until offers come and you see what projects are available? It’s driving me crazy. I don’t know. Lol 

If anybody is reading now, I just got invited to interview by a school where I thought my chances were abysmal. So going back to the OP--despite stats and odds--you never truly know how they'll receive your app. The mystery makes the surprise more special, but the waiting is not pleasant, lol.

15 hours ago, Katiebird said:

My parents keep talking about how much they want me to get into my top school and it's driving me crazy! I'm pretty sure I'm receiving a rejection at this point so it's pretty frustrating. I managed to get 2 interviews from my other schools and they don't even seem to care...

I'm sorry to hear that. I can relate, mine too are a bit like that. I have two interviews, both two schools that I would really love attending - and they obsessively only care about the one that is (harder to get into) and more famous. They're talking about that school only and always, and it's getting on my nerves at an already stressful time. It's like I have one chance instead of two in their eyes, and I'd have failed if I don't get that one. 

Plus I also found out today that interviews are being sent out for another dream school..... and I didn't get the email. I think I need to wait it out a bit, but so much stress. So much. 

1 hour ago, GreenEyedTrombonist said:

All the freaking time @ms123456 . People always want to know what my top choice is, but I decided when applying I wouldn't make a top choice until I got the chance to visit whichever programs accept me.

I'm in this boat too. I'd be happy to attend any of the schools I applied to, but there's definitely a preferred four over the other four. Even then, I'm trying not to get my hopes up in case I get rejections from those four and I really won't know how I feel until I attend my interviews anyway. 

One of my programs has never interviewed before this cycle so I don't even know when to expect a response one way or the other. At least the other programs have some historical data to give me some idea of when I might hear back!

I was very ambitious in my application list and my friends/family don't seem to understand that there is a distinct possibility I won't get in anywhere.

I submitted my apps early/mid November and heard back from a school at the beginning of January before radio silence. It makes it so much worse to have them spread out ahhhh. At least nothing beats the waiting game of the JET Program. Applications were due in November and you heard back in April. I keep reminding myself of this XD

5 hours ago, AnxiousNerd said:

I wish that no one knew I applied to graduate schools so that everyone would stop asking :wacko:

I feel the same way! I wish I didn’t tell anyone I was applying. That way, if I got in then people would be pleasantly surprised and if I didn’t get in, they would be none the wiser ?

1 hour ago, biostat314 said:

One of my programs has never interviewed before this cycle so I don't even know when to expect a response one way or the other. At least the other programs have some historical data to give me some idea of when I might hear back!

I was very ambitious in my application list and my friends/family don't seem to understand that there is a distinct possibility I won't get in anywhere.

Same. Everyone is so optimistic about my chances, and I'm over here wringing my hands losing sleep. The odds aren't in my favor. How do you communicate the improbability of acceptance to your friends and family?

Edited by ElvisShrugged

3 minutes ago, ElvisShrugged said:

Same. Everyone is so optimistic about my chance, and I'm over here wringing my hands losing sleep. The odds aren't in my favor. How do you communicate the improbability of acceptance to your friends and family?

I don't have a good answer to that - even when presented with admissions statistics, they still insist that I'll be fine. While I appreciate their confidence in me, I wish I could sometimes get support in the anxiety rather than dismissal!

46 minutes ago, ElvisShrugged said:

Same. Everyone is so optimistic about my chances, and I'm over here wringing my hands losing sleep. The odds aren't in my favor. How do you communicate the improbability of acceptance to your friends and family?

I just say that out of hundreds of applications, they only pick one or two people for my subfield. If they still have hope, I just chuckle and say, "we'll just wait and see". 

15 hours ago, ms123456 said:

Is anybody else getting the, “what school do you want the most?” Type of questions from family when you honestly won’t know until offers come and you see what projects are available? It’s driving me crazy. I don’t know. Lol 

YES. 

I've been asked by family, friends, my recommenders, etc. And I decided I wasn't even going to rank programs until I knew where I was accepted if I could help it.

I got interviewed by my top choice for a Ph.D. program and pretty early on, 4 interviews in 4 days (14-17th January, 2018), I'd like to think that's a good thing, because they seemed interested, but now I'm freaking out since I've not heard anything for the past one week. I keep going over the interview again and again in my head and feel like I gave a wrong answer to everything. By this point, I'm pretty sure that they didn't like me and that I won't get an accept. Does anybody here feel the same way? How was your wait post-interview and during the time of radio silence? 

I think I may be out for this season. Acceptances have been going out from UMN and I haven't gotten one. Now to start planning for that. My thoughts are either to wait until next year and save up money OR apply for the law school. They take applications until July and Sports Management and Contract Law is my second career choice. Women are underrepresented in the field and there are plenty of opportunities in the Twin Cities to work in sports contracting for MLB.

56 minutes ago, eighty8keys said:

Anybody actively unsubscribing from emails and filtering emails so that they don't get notified by annoying frequent newsletters and such? I would get excited that I got an email, and then see it was just junk.

I did that! Bye bye LinkedIn! 

17 minutes ago, khigh said:

I think I may be out for this season. Acceptances have been going out from UMN and I haven't gotten one. Now to start planning for that. My thoughts are either to wait until next year and save up money OR apply for the law school. They take applications until July and Sports Management and Contract Law is my second career choice. Women are underrepresented in the field and there are plenty of opportunities in the Twin Cities to work in sports contracting for MLB.

Don't give up hope, even if it looks bleak. I'm hoping you get in. If you really want to be a lawyer then go for it, and if not, save for the next cycle. Keeping my fingers crossed you get in though. 

11 minutes ago, senorbrightside said:

I did that! Bye bye LinkedIn! 

Don't give up hope, even if it looks bleak. I'm hoping you get in. If you really want to be a lawyer then go for it, and if not, save for the next cycle. Keeping my fingers crossed you get in though. 

Thank you.  I'm hoping I get in, but being a lawyer wouldn't be so bad. I love baseball: the theory, sport, stats, players, and the money behind it. I think I would be happy working either in a front office or as a sports agent. It just wouldn't be my first choice. I know that not every sports agent is Scott Boras (or Jerry McGuire for that matter), but it's not a bad way to make a living.