Fall 2018 Acceptances/Interviews/Rejections Thread

pinoysoc

Received an email from Columbia, it seems my application is  under review.  They mentioned that decisions will be published by late February or early March. To those that applied to Columbia that we're giving up, we might be still in the race!
Come on Universities! which one is going to be my valentine :wub:

3 hours ago, qeta said:

Haha, I haven't posted on the results page yet. My stats are less-than-stellar, but like @Socioeconnut I took advantage of living in the Bay Area by taking classes at UCB and my two writing samples were good.

That is amazing! May I ask how did you do that? Did you enroll in a program? Did you just speak to professors to attend their clases? 

54 minutes ago, Law&Soc88 said:

That is amazing! May I ask how did you do that? Did you enroll in a program? Did you just speak to professors to attend their clases? 

I had been planning to convert my history undergrad thesis into a sociological work for a while because I had established the phenomenon/ research puzzle in a very social scientific way. Luckily, the only development sociologist at Berkeley did a lot of agrarian work. So I read one of her books over the summer and then went to the first day of her class to introduce myself. She gave me permission to enroll in the class, really enjoyed my project and class contributions, and then asked me to enroll in a reading course with her the next semester. I know that I got lucky and was privileged too, because not everyone gets to "just" move to Berkeley: I did it because McGill was such a dumpster fire of an experience and my partner was doing his post-doc at UCB/UCSF.

Edited to say that while I was at Berkeley, I was also able to audit classes and go to free talks and workshops. Those were enormously helpful. I even got an interview for my MA thesis from one of the invited speakers at the South Asia Center.

A second edit because I just got into JHU and have apparently got a fellowship at Brown that covers the entire first year!

Edited by qeta

47 minutes ago, qeta said:

I had been planning to convert my history undergrad thesis into a sociological work for a while because I had established the phenomenon/ research puzzle in a very social scientific way. Luckily, the only development sociologist at Berkeley did a lot of agrarian work. So I read one of her books over the summer and then went to the first day of her class to introduce myself. She gave me permission to enroll in the class, really enjoyed my project and class contributions, and then asked me to enroll in a reading course with her the next semester. I know that I got lucky and was privileged too, because not everyone gets to "just" move to Berkeley: I did it because McGill was such a dumpster fire of an experience and my partner was doing his post-doc at UCB/UCSF.

Edited to say that while I was at Berkeley, I was also able to audit classes and go to free talks and workshops. Those were enormously helpful. I even got an interview for my MA thesis from one of the invited speakers at the South Asia Center.

A second edit because I just got into JHU and have apparently got a fellowship at Brown that covers the entire first year!

just saw the JHU edit -- would you mind sharing how you received the acceptance and which program you applied to (Program on Global Social Change or Program on Social Inequality)?

4 minutes ago, lil_grudge said:

just saw the JHU edit -- would you mind sharing how you received the acceptance and which program you applied to (Program on Global Social Change or Program on Social Inequality)?

I got an email from the department chair. I applied to PGSC.

Edited by qeta

Story time - tonight I finally got to attend a meeting for an organization that I’ve been trying to get in with for months for my thesis. And I managed to sit next to a PhD student from UCSB who was also at the same meeting taking ethnographic notes! What a small world! 

To the Penn State reject on the results board, any idea if all their acceptances have been sent out? There's no new update on my portal or no e-mail... WAHHHH

And congrats on all the recent admits! Happy for you guys!

19 hours ago, qeta said:

Congrats @qeta!

also checked portal and found a rejection from Northwestern...had applied to the JD/PhD program and it was my top choice. I can still be accepted to the JD program independently but not very hopeful for that. good news is that valentines candy is 50% off at CVS today, I got cookie dough halo tops from my "not boyfriend" for valentines day, and grey's anatomy is on tonight so I've set myself up for a real fantastic night of gaining 13 pounds

37 minutes ago, 2733amh said:

also checked portal and found a rejection from Northwestern...had applied to the JD/PhD program and it was my top choice. I can still be accepted to the JD program independently but not very hopeful for that. good news is that valentines candy is 50% off at CVS today, I got cookie dough halo tops from my "not boyfriend" for valentines day, and grey's anatomy is on tonight so I've set myself up for a real fantastic night of gaining 13 pounds

I’m with you in spirit @2733amh, my husband came home with an entire valentine’s cheesecake last night bc “pregnant women don’t eat flowers” ? 

Has anyone else on here applied to Davis? I'm still waiting for a response, and this is pretty late in the game for them to give any acceptances. I contacted them two weeks ago, and the coordinator informed me that they were still reviewing applications and the notifications would be out in the next 1-2 weeks...2 weeks later, and still nothing. It's the only program I could apply to, and I'm just totally deflated - can't apply anywhere else, and this is my third and final attempt...after this, the PhD dream of the past 10 years and counting is done...this with 2 freaking masters degrees, and a teaching qualification, research experience, and going all the way back through a bunch of math courses to improve my GRE scores..ugh...