2018 Interviews and Results Thread

phyanth

On 1/16/2018 at 1:21 PM, anthbug said:

Those who interviewed at Brown, could you share your subfield please? Thank you! 

Hello, I had a phone interview with Brown on 1/15. They considered my subfield to be anthropological archaeology, if that helps. My POI reached out to me via email and we spoke on the phone the same morning. I doubt I'll get in as my background is not in anthro, but rather in NAIS and history. If it's useful to you, I can also post here once I hear back.

2 hours ago, Archaeodan said:

Just had an interview...I think it went well? Maybe? I hope I didn't come off as having weak ideas and as not being able to talk about my research, cause I feel like that's how I sounded...but they seemed to like me well enough?

I'm sure it went GREAT!! Congrats!

20 minutes ago, Bschaefer said:

I’m a finalist for Emory! I’m pretty psyched 

Congratulations, @Bschaefer !!! That's so exciting!

Hey yall I didn't realize this thread existed! I am an applicant for socio/cultural anthro. 

So far I have heard back from Northwestern (interviewed and invited to campus), Yale (interviewed today), Emory (invited to finalist weekend), and UC Berkeley (interview scheduled for this week). 

I saw that a current student in anthro at Yale posted that only sociocultural and linguistic interviews have been made. 

4 minutes ago, blacklivesmatter said:

Hey yall I didn't realize this thread existed! I am an applicant for socio/cultural anthro. 

So far I have heard back from Northwestern (interviewed and invited to campus), Yale (interviewed today), Emory (invited to finalist weekend), and UC Berkeley (interview scheduled for this week). 

I saw that a current student in anthro at Yale posted that only sociocultural and linguistic interviews have been made. 

Congrats! Best of luck to you!!

Do you mind if I ask what your academic background is and what your interests are generally? Also, did you receive a mass email from Berkeley or was it from a specific faculty member?

5 minutes ago, mif249 said:

Congrats! Best of luck to you!!

Do you mind if I ask what your academic background is and what your interests are generally? Also, did you receive a mass email from Berkeley or was it from a specific faculty member?

Thanks! Yes, my background is in Africana studies. I got research funding as an undergrad to do fieldwork in Kampala, Uganda for a year and document the daily lives of sexual and gender minorities. I wrote/am writing my thesis on that (as I'm currently a graduating 4th year). I'm proposing to build on that research in my PhD work.

As for Berkeley, it was an email directly from a specific faculty member I identified to work with in my app.

What about you? What are your research interests?

3 minutes ago, blacklivesmatter said:

Thanks! Yes, my background is in Africana studies. I got research funding as an undergrad to do fieldwork in Kampala, Uganda for a year and document the daily lives of sexual and gender minorities. I wrote/am writing my thesis on that (as I'm currently a graduating 4th year). I'm proposing to build on that research in my PhD work.

As for Berkeley, it was an email directly from a specific faculty member I identified to work with in my app.

What about you? What are your research interests?

Wow, sounds fascinating!

I'm interested in issues around environment/sustainability in Southwest Asia and North Africa. Did my MA and have been working in a non-academia related industry the last couple of years.

4 hours ago, decolonizeyourmind said:

Hello, I had a phone interview with Brown on 1/15. They considered my subfield to be anthropological archaeology, if that helps. My POI reached out to me via email and we spoke on the phone the same morning. I doubt I'll get in as my background is not in anthro, but rather in NAIS and history. If it's useful to you, I can also post here once I hear back.

Thanks for your response! Good luck with your applications. 

3 hours ago, blacklivesmatter said:

Heartiest congrats! If you don't mind, are you a domestic or international student? I have read on the forums that interview requests to Yale and Berkeley have been made, but I have yet to receive any news at all.... I'm an international student hence was wondering if there's sort of a different timeline that they send out interview requests/review the applications for domestic vs. international students? 

Am so anxious now its insane!!! And also not sure if there are actually interviews for international students? Sigh this process is really killing me bit by bit everyday....

And also to anyone who might have input, is there a different timeline that they review the applications for international and domestic students? Or send out acceptance letters/interview requests? Any international students here who can shed some insights PLEASE DOOOOOO I'm literally panicking rn :( 

16 minutes ago, anthrosalts said:

Heartiest congrats! If you don't mind, are you a domestic or international student? I have read on the forums that interview requests to Yale and Berkeley have been made, but I have yet to receive any news at all.... I'm an international student hence was wondering if there's sort of a different timeline that they send out interview requests/review the applications for domestic vs. international students? 

Am so anxious now its insane!!! And also not sure if there are actually interviews for international students? Sigh this process is really killing me bit by bit everyday....

Hey! I am a domestic applicant. I am not sure if there is a different timeline for international applicants but I wouldn't think so. I think the main difference in timelines is between socio/cultural and archeology ... it seems like they are totally separate admissions processes at most departments. 

But dont give up hope ... there is evidence from the past years (on the results page) that people get notified on different days all the time.

1 hour ago, blacklivesmatter said:

Hey! I am a domestic applicant. I am not sure if there is a different timeline for international applicants but I wouldn't think so. I think the main difference in timelines is between socio/cultural and archeology ... it seems like they are totally separate admissions processes at most departments. 

But dont give up hope ... there is evidence from the past years (on the results page) that people get notified on different days all the time.

Even though I applied to Berkeley for archaeology, I had a look a the staff count yesterday. It makes sense why Soico applicants get notified first because there is more faculty in that specialty. I have two separate people that could notify me or give me a heads up. I am excited to see who is notified first for arch at Berkeley. 

Wow, the result board for Berekely has terrible stats/is inconsistent, haha. Who knows how many of the hundreds of applicants even care or know of this board, but it's hard to grasp much. You reached 2011/2010 by the 7th page. Several of the admitted students didn't even type their specialty. 

The only thing confirmed is that archaeology applicants will be notified later than others. The waiting game continues.

3 hours ago, anthrosalts said:

And also to anyone who might have input, is there a different timeline that they review the applications for international and domestic students? Or send out acceptance letters/interview requests? Any international students here who can shed some insights PLEASE DOOOOOO I'm literally panicking rn :( 

Hi! Fellow international applicant here. Though my knowledge is limited, but place of residence is irrelevant as far as notifying applicants goes. Application assessment varies by sub-discipline (in some cases), and not according to where the applicant lives.

The best way to decipher your future would be to see 1) if the interview notifications so far are in your sub-discipline; 2) if these notifications have been communicated by POIs in a personalised manner, or if it's the AdCom that's sent them out in a mass email.

I too have applied to Yale and Berkeley and am yet to hear from either. I'm pretty sure bad news is on the way from Yale since all sociocultural interview requests have already been sent. Still holding out some hope from Berkeley though...

Edited by yzo

16 hours ago, blacklivesmatter said:

Welcome, and good luck! It sounds like you're in a great position, congrats!

Edited by phyanth

So many more Berkeley interviews coming up on the results board than in previous years! I can claim one. But I'm curious about how big their shortlist is this year... from the email I got (which was from the head of the adcom, not my POI), it sounds like there are a lot of interviews to schedule. I remember last year someone said they heard it was around 20, but there were many fewer interviews on the results board then. Any other invited folks want to share their experience?

56 minutes ago, sideeye_emoji said:

So many more Berkeley interviews coming up on the results board than in previous years! I can claim one. But I'm curious about how big their shortlist is this year... from the email I got (which was from the head of the adcom, not my POI), it sounds like there are a lot of interviews to schedule. I remember last year someone said they heard it was around 20, but there were many fewer interviews on the results board then. Any other invited folks want to share their experience?

Yeah, I noticed that too. And, this seems to only be sociocultural, not even bio (which is what I applied for). They may just have more funding this year, or wanted to give more candidates a chance since an interview is completely different than what a committee sees on paper. 

Hi all,

I have a question to Berkeley sociocultural interviewees (Skype) if you're out there.

I got an e-mail about the interview with two dates for selection (on 22/1) to which I replied. But I still haven't got a reply back confirming which date. Is this normal? Not sure if they will confirm or not - should I just be waiting for 1.5hrs on my proposed date?

Another related question, the professor who sent me the e-mail seemed to emphasise that the interview was not necessary. He said that since I'm in a time-zone that might be difficult, or Skype can go wrong etc, even if I can't do the interview it won't penalize my application. It had me confused for a bit, thinking whether it was really optional. Any thoughts?

Cheers.

Hi @telesto, my note said something similar--that the interview was a chance for subcommittees to get another impression of candidates as people, but that it isn't necessary to do if a time conflict or other issue makes it difficult. I'm doing one, mainly because I want to show my interest in the program as best I can. I think unless you'll run into issues with the technology or timing, there's no reason not to!

And I'd say that it probably doesn't hurt to send a double email the day before your requested date just to confirm the interview time.