2018 Interviews and Results Thread

phyanth

@Mitchell1 I haven't heard of this offer being extended in our field; my initial reaction is yikes, no—that it's basically a soft waitlist/rejection. I can't say for sure that it hasn't been done recently, so perhaps somebody who has done it recently will appear and can speak more knowledgeably. (Beware the elder professor who says, "well, I got through my PhD in the 70s by delivering pizzas and I'm fine." Expectations have changed.) But what do you want a PhD for? Most to all of your competitors for jobs at the end of this will have been funded, which will mean a major competitive disadvantage for you. If you're living off trust fund income or have a small business that can support all of your living expenses, with little or no debt, in only two days a week, it might not be a financial disaster. It isn't a sign of faith from the department that admitted you, however. If this is the amount of support they are offering you now, I don't trust them to offer you the support you need to get a job. So, if you would like a job at the end (I ask because there are always a few posters on this board who don't), I would still not take this offer. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Do you have a master's degree? A tuition-only master's may be workable; a PhD won't be.

On 2/3/2018 at 2:09 AM, tamaloo said:

Does anyone know if UCLA typically does interviews? I saw a post on the board asking someone who got accepted about interviews.

I'm wondering about this too. I saw one student was admitted on the board but no follow up, and only the one.

2 hours ago, mif249 said:

I'm wondering about this too. I saw one student was admitted on the board but no follow up, and only the one.

There is a response now. They said they weren't contacted or interviewed. (Which is ever so slightly a relief?)

@Archaeodan Congrats! I did my undergrad at PSU and currently work there. The anth faculty are fantastic and the new cohorts always seem really tight. The other grad students are willing to lend a hand and give advice, so I recommend getting to know everyone.

Edited by Choas

Hello!

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted or had interviews so far! I'm a pretty solidly arch/bioarch person, but I'm a little bit concerned that I've so far had radio silence from the schools I've applied to, especially those due in December.

Has anyone heard anything about UT Knoxville or University of South Carolina? Those were my reach schools for sure, and because they're such big programs I figured they'd be all over the results threads if anyone heard anything but I wasn't sure! Just got an email about more assistantship opportunities at UTK and wondered if anyone had heard anything else!

7 minutes ago, towerbridge said:

Hello!

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted or had interviews so far! I'm a pretty solidly arch/bioarch person, but I'm a little bit concerned that I've so far had radio silence from the schools I've applied to, especially those due in December.

Has anyone heard anything about UT Knoxville or University of South Carolina? Those were my reach schools for sure, and because they're such big programs I figured they'd be all over the results threads if anyone heard anything but I wasn't sure! Just got an email about more assistantship opportunities at UTK and wondered if anyone had heard anything else!

I got an email from South Carolina Financial Aid office asking me to set up a FinAid profile so they could send me information, but nothing other than that. I filled out the FAFSA so I'm guessing that's what it's related to. Otherwise I haven't heard from the department yet... historically looks like the next week or so is the high point. Good luck to us both!

12 minutes ago, Indiana_Bones said:

I got an email from South Carolina Financial Aid office asking me to set up a FinAid profile so they could send me information, but nothing other than that. I filled out the FAFSA so I'm guessing that's what it's related to. Otherwise I haven't heard from the department yet... historically looks like the next week or so is the high point. Good luck to us both!

Ahh okay that's good to know. I haven't filled out my FAFSA yet so hopefully that's why I haven't heard from them? Either way good luck to you as well! This is my first year applying so I have no idea when no news become bad news and all of that! Watching all the sociocultural acceptances pile up has been driving my anxiety through the roof!

35 minutes ago, towerbridge said:

Hello!

I haven't heard anything from UTK :/

On 1/29/2018 at 10:32 AM, phyanth said:

Okay, phew! That gives me a little peace of mind. Who all have you heard from, if you don’t mind sharing?

I’m basically waiting on everyone. I applied to 9 schools, but to my knowledge, no one has sent out interviews for bioanth. Yale, Princeton, Berkeley, WUSTL, Michigan State, UTK, LSU, Kent State, and UVic. 

I wouldn’t worry about 3! You just have to find who has the best fit :) What’s your general focus?

Hey, I'm waiting to hear back from Berkeley, WUSTL, and Michigan State for medical! Best of luck!!

3 hours ago, waltzforzizi said:

I GOT INTO BERKELEY!!! No funding info

AHHHH that’s so amazing!!! And you were just talking about this the other day :) So happy for you!!! Did you have an interview there before receiving the great news?

18 hours ago, yzo said:

Congrats!!!! May I ask who sent the mail?

Thanks! And yeah it was an email from the Graduate Program Coordinator Anthropology/ Archaeology who just wrote in an email "see the attached for your decision." I thought for sure it was a rejection ... I almost didn't even open it haha...yikes. I mean I didn't even do an interview (what's up with that?) 

Also, congrats to the Berkeley people! I think I'm one of the post-interview rejects :/ 

Hey all. I pop on here from time to time (right now because I'm one of the many people waiting for Fulbright finalist notifications), and I saw some people on the results page who got admitted to the joint Anthropology & Linguistics PhD at the University of Arizona. Congrats! I'm in that program right now. If you have questions or want to say hello, feel free to reach out. Hopefully we'll see you at the prospective student weekend!

2 hours ago, blacklivesmatter said:

Thanks! And yeah it was an email from the Graduate Program Coordinator Anthropology/ Archaeology who just wrote in an email "see the attached for your decision." I thought for sure it was a rejection ... I almost didn't even open it haha...yikes. I mean I didn't even do an interview (what's up with that?) 

Also, congrats to the Berkeley people! I think I'm one of the post-interview rejects :/ 

@blacklivesmatterHi! Did the attached file include information about your funding? I would imagine Cornell would sort out everything before sending out invites. 

Congratulations still :)I wish Berkeley did or my POI emailed me instead of the Dean.

55 minutes ago, Mofanthrooo said:

Does anyone know whether Stanford already sent out the interview invites? :o I saw one poster interviewed, so if it was a mass email, I wanna prepare my heart to get rejected..........

@Mofanthrooo ooh, I wonder. I hope you do hear back soon! my chances are slim to none haha, so I am not expecting one.