2018 Interviews and Results Thread

phyanth

33 minutes ago, ~Mufasa~ said:

If our top choice is Columbia and we haven't heard anything from them yet, should we lay that dream to rest? 

Are you applying for the MA or PhD program? I applied to the MA program and was told by GSAS admissions office when I visited them that some Columbia programs begin reviewing MA applications after PhD applications have been reviewed. That makes sense as the anthropology MA program's application deadline is March 2. 

19 minutes ago, anthrobserver said:

Are you applying for the MA or PhD program? I applied to the MA program and was told by GSAS admissions office when I visited them that some Columbia programs begin reviewing MA applications after PhD applications have been reviewed. That makes sense as the anthropology MA program's application deadline is March 2. 

Nope- I'm applying for the Phd.

Good luck with the MA admissions!

@Indiana_Bones Congrats! TAMU was one of the placed I applied to work with someone in their CSFA. I see you have bioarch listed as your focus. Did you apply to the archaeology or bio anth program? Either way, I'll keep hoping for something this week. The department looks awesome, way to go!

18 minutes ago, Choas said:

@Indiana_Bones Congrats! TAMU was one of the placed I applied to work with someone in their CSFA. I see you have bioarch listed as your focus. Did you apply to the archaeology or bio anth program? Either way, I'll keep hoping for something this week. The department looks awesome, way to go!

Thank you! Technically I applied to the archaeology program because my POI was listed in that section, but I'm definitely bioarch/bioanth.  My fingers are crossed for you-- definitely let me know when you hear something!

1 hour ago, phyanth said:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a lot of ad coms are running slower than usual this year. Either that or I'm about to be rejected hard

I've only heard back from cornell (rejection) of the 7 places I applied to. I think they're just being slow haha

Edited by jackofclubs

What up friends, is anyone else becoming increasingly more despondent waiting for their results?

10 minutes ago, jackofclubs said:

I've only heard back from cornell (rejection) of the 7 places I applied to. I think they're just being slow haha

Seven applications, zero responses here! Though working on the basis of "no news is bad news", I reckon I've got a handful of rejections coming my way...

On 09/02/2018 at 8:37 PM, Ben Merrill said:

Admitted to UCSD for Med/Psych! Has anyone else heard anything from them?

I'm an applicant in the same subfield! May I ask what your area of research is?

1 hour ago, jackofclubs said:

Absolutely. The waiting is killer lol. I'm also following the no news is good news idea :)

The wait is pretty terrible.

I did get rejections from UNC-Chapel Hill and George Washington; less than thrilled but at least now I know. Here's to hoping I get good news from the others soon!

I'm getting really desperate. I have a Fulbright scholarship so I they handled applications on my behalf and I wasn't able to send customised statements, etc. I did email the admissions contact points to let them know my application was general and some of them got back to me saying they'd let the committee know.

I've applied for Berkeley, UCLA, Columbia, Boston University and the University of Kansas (PhD, social anthropology).

No interviews so far so I'm guessing it's a no from all but Kansas and UCLA (!)

Good luck to everyone!!

4 hours ago, tbtraspa said:

I'm getting really desperate. I have a Fulbright scholarship so I they handled applications on my behalf and I wasn't able to send customised statements, etc. I did email the admissions contact points to let them know my application was general and some of them got back to me saying they'd let the committee know.

I've applied for Berkeley, UCLA, Columbia, Boston University and the University of Kansas (PhD, social anthropology).

No interviews so far so I'm guessing it's a no from all but Kansas and UCLA (!)

Good luck to everyone!!

Sorry you're feeling pessimistic about this cycle :(. Seems like the further we get into February, the more difficult it feels. When you say Fulbright handled applications on your behalf, what exactly do you mean?

I don't know if it's exactly a death knell to send a statement without specific reference to professors you'd like to work with as long as your work is a good fit for the department and you mention specific faculty members elsewhere on the application. Did you correspond with any professors before applying?

On 2/12/2018 at 11:50 AM, phyanth said:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like a lot of ad coms are running slower than usual this year. Either that or I'm about to be rejected hard

I do feel like they're so slow this year! I tried contacting some of the schools I applied to but none of them really said anything about an expected timeline. 

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:15 PM, psychomedico said:

What up friends, is anyone else becoming increasingly more despondent waiting for their results?

YUP! Its good to know that we are all suffering together! Applied to 9 schools, already rejected twice and am an alternate at another. Hoping to hear from the other 6 before the wait makes me any crazier.

I’m going bananas. I keep getting hits on my academia page from schools I applied to, and no responses. But at least I know one school will be sending responses this week...

18 hours ago, sideeye_emoji said:

Sorry you're feeling pessimistic about this cycle :(. Seems like the further we get into February, the more difficult it feels. When you say Fulbright handled applications on your behalf, what exactly do you mean?

I don't know if it's exactly a death knell to send a statement without specific reference to professors you'd like to work with as long as your work is a good fit for the department and you mention specific faculty members elsewhere on the application. Did you correspond with any professors before applying?

So, I was asked to do a general statement not mentioning departments, professors or even the university's name... And that was sent out by Fulbright to the different universities. I didn't do the applications myself.

I did write to a couple of professors in every uni before applying, but some of them didn't reply. And I also emailed the admissions contact person to let them know I couldn't customise my application. About half of them replied saying they'd let the admissions committee know.

I have two years' full funding with Fulbright, so I'm hoping they will like that almost half price ;) haha

Fingers crossed!