2018 Interviews and Results Thread

phyanth

6 hours ago, Mofanthrooo said:

Does anyone know whether Stanford already sent out the interview invites? :o I saw one poster interviewed, so if it was a mass email, I wanna prepare my heart to get rejected..........

Looks like an administrator emailed that person offering 4 slots. Eek. 

13 minutes ago, waltzforzizi said:

@bananabear@yzo@Mofanthrooo

Which subfield are you? I applied for arch, so I am sure I can join the rejected party here. 

Not arch. Sociocultural....which is what the one poster posted about. Maybe arch goes out later and you still have a shot!! 

Edited by bananabear

41 minutes ago, bananabear said:

Not arch. Sociocultural....which is what the one poster posted about. Maybe arch goes out later and you still have a shot!! 

24 minutes ago, yzo said:

I'm sociocultural. They usually admit 8, so perhaps the four time slots were reflective of the four sociocultural positions and maybe arch is decided separately...?

Haha, I doubt it. Was really shooting for the stars when I applied.

I looked at faculty again and there are only 21 professors and I only could grasp that only 4 of them are arch ( why don't they separate them by subfield?). Seems it's the same for the other fields too. 

And yes, @bananabear they usually convene separately. I have no idea the usual amount of students admitted. I think there a few others in this thread that applied. 

1 hour ago, waltzforzizi said:

@bananabear@yzo@Mofanthrooo

Which subfield are you? I applied for arch, so I am sure I can join the rejected party here. 

I applied for arch too! I am not expecting anything at this point tho.....

24 minutes ago, bananabear said:

@waltzforzizi @yzo@mofanthrooo Any guess as to why four were interviewed instead of the usual 15? 

Not that it matters to me at this point. Gonna throw myself a pity party and then figure out Plan B as this was my top choice too 

I guess just funding was too tight? I also need to figure out Plan B as a non- U.S. citizen. I am really hoping to find a way to stay in the states and continue my study.

Just received my rejection letter this morning from University of Kansas... First rejection of this cycle...never felt that grad school rejection sting before, not a great feeling...

Waiting on three more decisions...

9 minutes ago, genesandbones said:

Just received my rejection letter this morning from University of Kansas... First rejection of this cycle...never felt that grad school rejection sting before, not a great feeling...

Waiting on three more decisions...

Sorry to hear that :( Rejections are never nice. But you have 3 more chances, so don't get too down yet! I'm still waiting on all 3 of mine as well.... the phys anth committees are giving me terrible anxiety. 

@Indiana_Bones Yeah, just awkward. They told me some info right at the beginning which confirmed my suspicion that the program wasn't a good fit for me, so for the next 25 minutes, I was awkwardly me trying not to rude but actually only kinda interested in what they were saying, and they seemed only kinda interested in what I was saying cause the fit was iffy and so ahhh....yeah, not great all around. 

UNC was a no for me but UVA is looking up. I think at this point George Washington seems like a no since I've not gotten an interview. Still keeping hope alive!

In case anyone is wondering, William and Mary is starting their application review next week; their anthropology department does not do interviews.

Does anyone have trouble accessing the Stanford web portal? Literally, everytime I attempt to access it, its as if I'm still on page 5 of the application. It has been happening even before I submitted my application. 

It has grown tiring!!

9 minutes ago, waltzforzizi said:

Does anyone have trouble accessing the Stanford web portal? Literally, everytime I attempt to access it, its as if I'm still on page 5 of the application. It has been happening even before I submitted my application. 

It has grown tiring!!

Stanford has, by far, the worst designed application portal of all the schools I applied to. And I applied to quite a few.