2018 Interviews and Results Thread

phyanth

15 hours ago, ~Mufasa~ said:

Question: When asked during an interview to speak about your project, how detailed do you go?

I'd say just the basics (I'm interested in studying x by doing y) and then follow-up if they ask more questions -- which they likely will! You'll do great, don't over think it :)

39 minutes ago, suavesana said:

I'd say just the basics (I'm interested in studying x by doing y) and then follow-up if they ask more questions -- which they likely will! You'll do great, don't over think it :)

I really wish i followed this advice. Instead what just occured was a mix of nerves, word vomit, and technical malfunctions. :[

But thank you for the support! Next time...

I have a question about the experience I've had thus far with a program I applied to.

Before I applied to the program, I sent an email to the POI. They never responded. Still, I decided to continue with the application. After submission, I played the waiting game and assumed that perhaps my application would be rejected. Well, I've finally heard from one of the professors from the department. They have expressed interest in my research ideas and wanted to know if i'd like to be nominated for a fellowship. The original POI I contacted wants to nominate me though they never responded to my email. Of course I agreed!! But I'm still wondering about my status. They did not say whether or not I was accepted or rejected.  Has anyone else had an experience similar to this? 

45 minutes ago, Anthrobelle said:

I have a question about the experience I've had thus far with a program I applied to.

Before I applied to the program, I sent an email to the POI. They never responded. Still, I decided to continue with the application. After submission, I played the waiting game and assumed that perhaps my application would be rejected. Well, I've finally heard from one of the professors from the department. They have expressed interest in my research ideas and wanted to know if i'd like to be nominated for a fellowship. The original POI I contacted wants to nominate me though they never responded to my email. Of course I agreed!! But I'm still wondering about my status. They did not say whether or not I was accepted or rejected.  Has anyone else had an experience similar to this? 

If you've been nominated for a fellowship, you've been accepted. Congrats! 

1 hour ago, phyanth said:

If you've been nominated for a fellowship, you've been accepted. Congrats! 

Thanks!  My app status still says it’s in departmental review. And the professor who contacted me said something like “my app was routing.” Not sure what that means. 

So based on last year's timeline, I am assuming I am a post-interview reject for Berkeley, which is so disappointing, as it's my dream school/POI. If that's true, seems like there are a lot of us this year based on the results board. I'm almost considering an anonymous call to the department to see when they are planning to notify people unless anyone else has done so. :mellow: But last year rejections went out the 15th, so maybe I'll wait 'til tomorrow...

I would love to know people’s opinions on this. So I got into my dream program and am going to be working with my perfect POI. However, they are not offering very much funding. Definitely not enough to survive on. Is it worth it to go to the perfect program and maybe have to take out loans or choose a different less perfect program with full funding? 

5 minutes ago, Mitchell1 said:

I would love to know people’s opinions on this. So I got into my dream program and am going to be working with my perfect POI. However, they are not offering very much funding. Definitely not enough to survive on. Is it worth it to go to the perfect program and maybe have to take out loans or choose a different less perfect program with full funding? 

I really do not think it is wise to incur debts for graduate study, especially in a discipline like ours which isn't particularly marketable (read: there are very, very few jobs).

3 hours ago, Mitchell1 said:

Don't take out loans for grad school, especially if it's for a PhD program!  However, it might be worth talking to the department to see if they can scrounge up any more money before moving on to another offer.

2 hours ago, museum_geek said:

Don't take out loans for grad school, especially if it's for a PhD program!  However, it might be worth talking to the department to see if they can scrounge up any more money before moving on to another offer.

They offered me more money!!! Thanks for the suggestion. I think I can actually make my dream program work! 

34 minutes ago, inuititgirl said:

I guess it might be premature but, given how few are admitted to Hopkins each year and seeing two interviews posted here today, I'm going to sadly assume I didn't make the cut. I only applied to 4 programs and this was my last hope. Til next year. Good luck to everybody.

Honestly, yeah. I applied to 4 programs but hopkins was my best fit. I want to have hope, but I don't want to feel foolish. We can be sad together

34 minutes ago, anthlady said:

Honestly, yeah. I applied to 4 programs but hopkins was my best fit. I want to have hope, but I don't want to feel foolish. We can be sad together

I am not sure if Hopkins is my best fit, but I definitely thought it was a fit. Holding out hope, though. And y'all should too. I'll save my tears for Monday. 

13 minutes ago, yezzy123 said:

I am not sure if Hopkins is my best fit, but I definitely thought it was a fit. Holding out hope, though. And y'all should too. I'll save my tears for Monday. 

Why Monday? Considering braving an email to the dept. to see if all interviews have been requested, but will probably hold off until tomorrow afternoon at least.  

6 minutes ago, inuititgirl said:

Why Monday? Considering braving an email to the dept. to see if all interviews have been requested, but will probably hold off until tomorrow afternoon at least.  

I say Monday because you probably won't get a response on a Friday afternoon and you won't ruin your weekend! Plus I see a lot of places on the results that send out interview invites over the span of 3 days to a week. So it really shouldn't be worrying until you don't hear all weekend. 

12 minutes ago, yezzy123 said:

I say Monday because you probably won't get a response on a Friday afternoon and you won't ruin your weekend! Plus I see a lot of places on the results that send out interview invites over the span of 3 days to a week. So it really shouldn't be worrying until you don't hear all weekend. 

You may be right! I do appreciate your optimism so thanks!

Don't feel too sad, y'all! I got rejected from all my places last year, was sad and mopey, ended up doing some really great work over the course of the past year, and have been successful this round in getting an offer from my top-choice school! So be sad for a bit but don't be defeated because you WILL get there! 

5 hours ago, suavesana said:

Don't feel too sad, y'all! I got rejected from all my places last year, was sad and mopey, ended up doing some really great work over the course of the past year, and have been successful this round in getting an offer from my top-choice school! So be sad for a bit but don't be defeated because you WILL get there! 

I appreciate the sentiment. I'm already in a pretty rough spot as I'm "mature" (which makes the idea of another year particularly bitter) and trying to start over on a PHD abroad that I had to abandon partway through due to family circumstances. I'm confident the  publications I am working on now, if accepted, will make me an exceptionally strong candidate next year, though; it's just the idea of completing them without institutional support that scares me.  Huge congrats on your successes!