2018 Interviews and Results Thread

phyanth

11 minutes ago, MJF said:

Any one else hoping this will be the day (or at least week) for UT Knoxville to send out decisions for biological applicants? I've convinced myself that if I believe with all my heart it will happen today :unsure:

Same! I’m so anxious I’m having major stress dreams. Including one where I wrote in my SOP that I wanted to combine anthropology of genocide with cozy mysteries... (This was NOT in my statement of purpose.)

11 minutes ago, AnthroChick21 said:

Same! I’m so anxious I’m having major stress dreams. Including one where I wrote in my SOP that I wanted to combine anthropology of genocide with cozy mysteries... (This was NOT in my statement of purpose.)

Ha! I've been having stress dreams as well. Usually they involve getting rejected (way less creative than yours). 

12 minutes ago, phyanth said:

@MJF and @AnthroChick21, as much as I want to have hope, I'm not holding my breath. I feel like they released all of the results last week with the other acceptances. Does anyone know for sure that they haven't sent out results for biological anth?

I don’t know with 100% certainly, but it doesn’t seem like they have. Anyone want to take one for the team and send an email or make a phone call?

6 minutes ago, AnthroChick21 said:

I don’t know with 100% certainly, but it doesn’t seem like they have. Anyone want to take one for the team and send an email or make a phone call?

I tried calling earlier, but I think they are at lunch... I'm going to try again here in 10 minutes or so. Will update!

4 hours ago, phyanth said:

@cebertxela, thank you! So do you think they’ve even notified any people yet? I haven’t seen any change in my portal either. Hoping the committee is running late and maybe they’re sending acceptances this week

@phyanthAs far as I can tell, they have not notified anyone. I did hear there may be some issues with funding, but those are just are just rumors. I know that has been the case for other programs.

Edited by cebertxela

17 minutes ago, phyanth said:

@MJF and @AnthroChick21, as much as I want to have hope, I'm not holding my breath. I feel like they released all of the results last week with the other acceptances. Does anyone know for sure that they haven't sent out results for biological anth?

It just seems like with all the applicants they get that someone would have posted that they got accepted into the biological program. The acceptances so far (that were posted) were for archaeology. 

4 minutes ago, phyanth said:

I tried calling earlier, but I think they are at lunch... I'm going to try again here in 10 minutes or so. Will update!

You're awesome! Let us know what you find out. :D

4 minutes ago, cebertxela said:

As far as I can tell, they have not notified anyone. I did hear there may be some issues with funding, but those are just are just rumors. I know that has been the case for other programs.

Ohhh, okay. Well, I'm sure that things have been chaotic with all of the administrative changes due to the Nassar incident. So that may have slowed things down too.

20 hours ago, scarseed said:

Anybody know anything about the state of JHU? I saw two interviews posted around 2/14 and one acceptance yesterday. Assuming rejection but curious if anyone has any greater sense or details.

I'm also curious about this. I don't want to assume rejection but I mean....it's been awhile.

16 minutes ago, Indiana_Bones said:

:( Sorry to hear that! I'm stuck in no man's land with them... 

@Indiana_Bones No worries, I had actually decided I no longer wanted to attend after submitting my application (change in research interests). I didn't even contact the POI. Good luck, right now no news is still good news.

6 hours ago, Indiana_Bones said:

@towerbridge Have you heard from South Carolina yet?

I got rejected last week :( Not super surprising to be honest.

In other news, I was kind of taking some time to process it, but I did get accepted to UTK, UMassBoston, and George Mason this week. To everybody that has gotten rejections first, hang in there! My concentration at UTK is archaeology, so those of you bio people that haven't heard don't get discouraged! 

12 minutes ago, towerbridge said:

I got rejected last week :( Not super surprising to be honest.

In other news, I was kind of taking some time to process it, but I did get accepted to UTK, UMassBoston, and George Mason this week. To everybody that has gotten rejections first, hang in there! My concentration at UTK is archaeology, so those of you bio people that haven't heard don't get discouraged! 

Also I keep rereading this and hoping that it doesn't sound like I'm bragging or making anyone feel bad! I just wanted to share the good news with everyone since you've all been really supportive through this whole process!!

27 minutes ago, towerbridge said:

Also I keep rereading this and hoping that it doesn't sound like I'm bragging or making anyone feel bad! I just wanted to share the good news with everyone since you've all been really supportive through this whole process!!

You don’t sound like you’re bragging! Now, if you were bio at UTK... just kidding! It’s competitive, but us anthro nerds have to stick together. :)

I am waiting on UMass Amherst. Anyone else aside from @Bschaefer apply there? My application status is still applied. I am pretty set on Berkeley, but I still wanna know.

Does anyone else get paranoid whenever you send an email to your POI or send long ass replies?? I am always anxious although my POI is amazing and explains things thoroughly. I don't know...always feel like a nuisance TT... I get even more anxious when they don't reply as fast as usual or take longer than a day sometimes lmao.

@AnthroChick21, I feel your pain. I actually only work for two hours today and have the rest of the day off, so it’s going to be a looong wait. 

Fingers crossed we at least hear something this week! I feel like this is the latest they’ve run, at least according to the results!