2018 Interviews and Results Thread

phyanth

8 minutes ago, phyanth said:

@AnthroChick21, I feel your pain. I actually only work for two hours today and have the rest of the day off, so it’s going to be a looong wait. 

Fingers crossed we at least hear something this week! I feel like this is the latest they’ve run, at least according to the results!

I have a yoga class today, so that’s at least 50 minutes I won’t be thinking about it!

5 hours ago, waltzforzizi said:

I am waiting on UMass Amherst. Anyone else aside from @Bschaefer apply there? My application status is still applied. I am pretty set on Berkeley, but I still wanna know.

Does anyone else get paranoid whenever you send an email to your POI or send long ass replies?? I am always anxious although my POI is amazing and explains things thoroughly. I don't know...always feel like a nuisance TT... I get even more anxious when they don't reply as fast as usual or take longer than a day sometimes lmao.

I applied to UMass Amherst. Haven't heard a thing. :wacko:

6 minutes ago, Anthrobelle said:

Have you interviewed or chatted with your POI or anyone? I Skyped with mine several months before the deadline, and I believe the poster I mentioned interviewed before the deadline too. Hopefully, we will hear soon.......!!!..... :o

30 minutes ago, waltzforzizi said:

Have you interviewed or chatted with your POI or anyone? I Skyped with mine several months before the deadline, and I believe the poster I mentioned interviewed before the deadline too. Hopefully, we will hear soon.......!!!..... :o

35 minutes ago, Anthrobelle said:

I have a colleague that applied as well and he hasn't heard anything. I had an interview when I home in Mass back in December. I think I read either on here or the results page that someone else had skyped/interviewed with their POI about 2 weeks ago and said they would be making decisions this week. How accurate that is - No idea. But hopefully, we'll hear soon. I know that my portal for UIC still says applied even though I got my acceptance letter last monday. So maybe they are calling? 

Has anyone here heard back from Berkeley, especially those in medical anth? So far there are one reject and one waitlist on the scoreboard for medical. I haven’t been interviewed, so if they’ve already started to announce decisions, I just want to know if it’s time for me to abandon all hope on Berkeley at this point.

I’m also still waiting for Northwestern and NYU, no interview either for both of them.

Should I cross them off my list? :unsure:

9 minutes ago, MJF said:

Just got rejected from UTK. Pretty bummed... thought I might have had it... oh well...

Noooo, I'm so sorry :( Well, hopefully you have some positive news from other schools!!

Did you receive an e-mail? I checked my e-mail and the portal, but didn't see anything...

1 hour ago, phyanth said:

Noooo, I'm so sorry :( Well, hopefully you have some positive news from other schools!!

Did you receive an e-mail? I checked my e-mail and the portal, but didn't see anything...

It was an email.

I got accepted to UCF fully funded with a TA stipend and a fellowship. I'm from Florida and my family is here, so it's a really good option. I just really loved UTK when I visited. 

Edited by MJF

27 minutes ago, MJF said:

It was an email.

I got accepted to UCF fully funded with a TA stipened and a fellowship. I'm from Florida and my family is here, so it's a really good option. I just really loved UTK when I visited. 

Never mind, I checked the results and see that you are bio. Who was your POI at UTK, if you don’t mind me asking?

3 hours ago, Choas said:

Anyone have an idea what's happening with OSU? There were two acceptances listed on the results page, at the end of January, and nothing else since.

Hey I'm a graduating undergrad at OSU (we're not allowed to apply there straight after undergrad :( ) and from what I've heard the two acceptances they sent out earlier were people that had to be notified so they could be nominated for fellowships with the University, not the department (so like the really prestigious ones). As far as I know that's the only reason they were notified so early and if you haven't heard it doesn't mean you were rejected or that you won't get funding through other means. This is what one faculty member on the committee told me in passing, so it may not be 100% accurate. 

3 hours ago, Choas said:

Anyone have an idea what's happening with OSU? There were two acceptances listed on the results page, at the end of January, and nothing else since.

No clue, it still says pending for me on the website.  Hoping to hear soon! 

24 minutes ago, towerbridge said:

Hey I'm a graduating undergrad at OSU (we're not allowed to apply there straight after undergrad :( ) and from what I've heard the two acceptances they sent out earlier were people that had to be notified so they could be nominated for fellowships with the University, not the department (so like the really prestigious ones). As far as I know that's the only reason they were notified so early and if you haven't heard it doesn't mean you were rejected or that you won't get funding through other means. This is what one faculty member on the committee told me in passing, so it may not be 100% accurate. 

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear it's not over and done, yet.

I did my undergrad at PSU and we're set up the same way. We had one grad student in my time here who got their BS with the dept, went away for a masters, then came back. Everyone else was from other universities. It's a good idea to get other points of view, but it's always a bummer when you really like the department.

1 hour ago, Choas said:

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear it's not over and done, yet.

I did my undergrad at PSU and we're set up the same way. We had one grad student in my time here who got their BS with the dept, went away for a masters, then came back. Everyone else was from other universities. It's a good idea to get other points of view, but it's always a bummer when you really like the department.

Yeah, I'm excited to go and get some new perspectives, but it's definitely annoying when your undergrad institution is one of the top choices for what you want to do! If you get in and end up going to OSU, I can definitely say that all of the grad students and faculty that I have interacted with have been great!

On 2/13/2018 at 4:43 PM, Mofanthrooo said:

Any updates from UPenn? Did they already notify all the shortlisted people? 

Penn is making final decisions on Wednesday. However, acceptances are sent up to the dean and people might not officially be notified for another couple weeks...

That being said, they want to invite accepted students to campus at the end of March, so it should probably be a quick turnaround, even if people are unofficially notified.

9 hours ago, clarkdean said:

Has anyone here heard back from Berkeley, especially those in medical anth? So far there are one reject and one waitlist on the scoreboard for medical. I haven’t been interviewed, so if they’ve already started to announce decisions, I just want to know if it’s time for me to abandon all hope on Berkeley at this point.

I’m also still waiting for Northwestern and NYU, no interview either for both of them.

Just got an e-mail 3 hours ago. Asking to check website. It was a rejection as expected. I’m Sociocultural, but it seems from the results board that it’s a mixture of arch med and socio (all rejections). I’m a post-interview reject btw.

Fingers crossed for NYU..

9 hours ago, clarkdean said:

Hey, arch here. I was accepted on the 7th with no interview. I am still waiting for others to pop up on the results ( come forth you!). I was told the number of people accepted....should that number be for the whole department? I didn't ask but was told. 

Edited by waltzforzizi

Is the person that got the phone call acceptance for UT - Knoxville in this forum? Please PM me, I am interested in knowing your POI :)

Still waiting and hoping for some good news... :/

4 hours ago, telesto said:

Just got an e-mail 3 hours ago. Asking to check website. It was a rejection as expected. I’m Sociocultural, but it seems from the results board that it’s a mixture of arch med and socio (all rejections). I’m a post-interview reject btw.

Fingers crossed for NYU..

Well, I got rejected, too. Same method. I didn’t even get interviewed, so I was expecting it. In fact, no one in the faculty ever even replied to my initial inquiries before applying (except someone who just said—in a weird way—that he wasn’t accepting students). I so believed in my heart of hearts that I was such a great fit with Berkeley, but apparently I belong somewhere else. I guess it really is for the best, so no hard feelings!

4 hours ago, waltzforzizi said:

Hey, arch here. I was accepted on the 7th with no interview. I am still waiting for others to pop up on the results ( come forth you!). I was told the number of people accepted....should that number be for the whole department? I didn't ask but was told. 

Congrats! And thanks... I got rejected, but I was already expecting it. Berkeley was really just my top choice initially, although that changed over the course of the application season. Do you think you’ll accept their offer?