2018 Interviews and Results Thread

phyanth

3 hours ago, giselle baron said:

Achhh I've been in your shoes some years ago and got into CUNY's anthro program from the waitlist. I imagine that the EO of the program sent you an email inquiring if you are still interested. I think an enthusiastically-worded email would definitely help. I really believe that visibility is important in this process. The best thing you can do, if possible, might be attending the colloqs that are organized almost every Friday evening by CUNY's Anthro program. After the colloqs there is a wine and cheese event where you may find a chance to talk to your POIs and emphasize your interest. However, if you get into the program from the waitlist, there is a good chance that you might have tuition-only fellowship. In that case, you may need to work hard (multiple TAships, TAships, and teaching your own class at the same time) to make a living. So you need to decide if you really want to take that path.

I am aware that any admission at this point will most likely be with a tuition-only fellowship.  I would be curious to hear what route you took and how you feel about your decision in hindsight--may I PM you? Of course, I would understand if you don't want to discuss details.

I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything from UVA as well? They were supposed to release results last week or early this week.*

*Fully realizing it is still early in the week.

I believe UVA has already had their finalist visit weekend—sometime between 1 and 3 weeks ago—where they bring about 8 people and from whom they accept about 6. I do not know whether they waitlist anybody they don't invite to the finalists' weekend. I think they may, but I don't know for sure.

From what I've heard, UVA has sent out a few offers - at least one each for linguistics and archaeology.  I've also heard that at least one of the sociocultural folks from the visit got an offer, so @AnthroScout if you haven't heard by now you're probably on the waitlist.  It might be worth checking in with the department at this point to ask about your status and reiterate your interest in the program.

So, I just sent off rejection e-mails this morning. It was honestly one of the hardest things I have had to do in a LONG time. I loved this school, but practically speaking, the other school had more to offer. It's just that the POI I had been in touch with was so kind and excited for me to possibly attend. I told them that I wanted to collaborate with them in the future as we have extremely similar research foci, but who knows if they would actually want to do that. 

Bleh. Anyone else feel the same way?

17 hours ago, phyanth said:

So, I just sent off rejection e-mails this morning. It was honestly one of the hardest things I have had to do in a LONG time. I loved this school, but practically speaking, the other school had more to offer. It's just that the POI I had been in touch with was so kind and excited for me to possibly attend. I told them that I wanted to collaborate with them in the future as we have extremely similar research foci, but who knows if they would actually want to do that. 

Yes! I sent off a couple last week and just thanked the faculty I had met and spoken to in separate emails. All were such great fits for my research and professional interests that it was a difficult decision. I think they know -- and probably remember their own experiences! -- and understand our positions. Phew!

On 3/23/2018 at 11:53 AM, phyanth said:

I literally just did the same thing. It was a very hard decision to choose which program would be right for me in the long run. It honestly felt like I was breaking up with the POI and the university. 

Hey, has anyone heard from Pittsburgh? I haven't seen anything on the board yet... I'm getting emails from PoIs in a couple of other universities and I don't know if it's rude to tell them I'm waiting for Pitt before I decide!

1 hour ago, tamaloo said:

Hey, has anyone heard from Pittsburgh? I haven't seen anything on the board yet... I'm getting emails from PoIs in a couple of other universities and I don't know if it's rude to tell them I'm waiting for Pitt before I decide!

Nothing, and it's driving me crazy! I'm not sure if I should send an email or just keep waiting...

On 26-3-2018 at 5:00 PM, Bschaefer said:

I literally just did the same thing. It was a very hard decision to choose which program would be right for me in the long run. It honestly felt like I was breaking up with the POI and the university. 

Me too! I'm so glad you guys feell the same way, I thought it was just me!

On 3/23/2018 at 8:53 AM, phyanth said:

I've joked with friends that applying to PhD programs has been the weirdest dating game of my life.

I thought interviews with POIs would feel like job interviews, but instead they felt more like "Do we have compatibility?" first dates. Meeting my POIs lab members felt like meeting the family-in-law, to see if they like me. Leaving my current supervisor and school for another program felt like breaking up with them (and I felt weirdly guilty applying to other programs and having the interviews in the first place).

...and then you go from a "first date" to a 5-year commitment.  It's just all around weird.

Edited by timetobegin

On 3/20/2018 at 4:53 PM, Kaitlynjoy said:

Is anyone else still waiting to hear from Mercyhurst? I've heard from all my other programs a couple weeks ago but still haven't heard anything from them...

I had an interview with Mercyhurst at the end of February and then didn't hear anything. 

15 hours ago, museum_geek said:

@Bschaefer @EvelynD So happy this cycle worked out for both of you!  Which programs did y'all end up choosing?  

Thanks! I’m going with University of Illinois at Chicago/The Field Museum of Natural History joint PhD program!

Hi people,

I emailed the UVA faculty and they told me I'm on a waitlist. But from what I saw from the result thread no one has posted any rejection from UVA either...is it possible that we all are on a waitlist? lol

All jokes aside though, anyone still waiting, it might be worth writing them to ask about your status. They said the final results will be out mid April.

On 30-3-2018 at 3:29 AM, museum_geek said:

@Bschaefer @EvelynD So happy this cycle worked out for both of you!  Which programs did y'all end up choosing?  

Thank you! I chose the Cultural Anthro program at Washington State University. I ended up having one other acceptance and one position on a waitlist. 

Thanks! I can't believe I went from 5 rejections to 2,5 acceptances! (ok, and 6,5 rejections, but whatever :P). Declining the other offer was so hard, my PoI was just great. This was the biggest luxury problem I've ever had.

By the way, today there was this item on the news (here, in the Netherlands!) about an American kid who applied at 20 schools and got admitted into all of them. I literally cried when I saw the video they made of his first acceptance.