2018 Interviews and Results Thread

phyanth

I just got an email from Chico asking for an interview next week. I'm excited, but I've also heard that they don't do much funding. Does anyone else know much about Chico's funding?

1 hour ago, MJF said:

I just got an email from Chico asking for an interview next week. I'm excited, but I've also heard that they don't do much funding. Does anyone else know much about Chico's funding?

No specifics, but I’ve heard their funding is somewhat lacking for MA students and PhD canidants get most of it. 

12 hours ago, Jonthropology said:

No specifics, but I’ve heard their funding is somewhat lacking for MA students and PhD canidants get most of it. 

They only have a MA for anthropology though (unless you just mean PhD students at Chico in general)?

7 hours ago, MJF said:

They only have a MA for anthropology though (unless you just mean PhD students at Chico in general)?

In general. I had a few classmates/ friends apply from different fields that had mentioned the MA funding was lacking, but that may have just been for those particular cycles. 

3 hours ago, Anthperson said:

Has anyone else heard from USF? Looks like there was one late last night so now I’m impatiently panicking.

I was one of the posters from yesterday. I noticed some others have posted as well so you should hear something soon. Good luck!

On 3/9/2018 at 10:50 AM, MJF said:

@MJF 

Do they have LEGIT funding? I thought it was just external or internal fellowships or something along those lines.

I have met around 6 people that got their masters at Chico. All of them worked with the BLM, USFS or a local cultural resource firm during their tenures. Also, 4 of them took over 3 years to finish because they were working for a while. They were archaeology majors though. I would be surprised if you got a decent amount funding if any. 

GIve an update later!

On 3/5/2018 at 1:30 PM, Alynnh said:

I applied to West Florida too and I’m still waiting as well.

I’m also still waiting on Southern Mississippi, but they don’t make decisions until next week.

If you don't mind my asking, what subfield are you in? I'm a little north of Southern Miss at Mississippi State.

6 hours ago, bioarch_fan said:

If you don't mind my asking, what subfield are you in? I'm a little north of Southern Miss at Mississippi State.

I'm biological, I want to do bioarch!

On 3/7/2018 at 8:47 AM, leoni said:

Ha, yeah, I can completely relate to that feeling. The one linguistic acceptance says "informal" notification but now there's a sociocultural acceptance and an archaeology wait list. Who knows~ maybe these could be informal too or maybe different subfields are hearing at different times. Either way I'm trying to hold out hope till the end of the week! When I emailed my POI last week to ask about decisions she said they were still being finalized but asked me what my other offers were (and said that that could "speed along the process") so I told her but I'm still waiting to hear back (hopefully that helped my case? *fingers crossed*)

Folks were notified about Penn informal acceptances a little over a week ago. If you haven't heard, it's possible you're on the wait list but it's more than likely bad news. The professors were supposed to reach out individually to potential advisees/students of their subfield. Students in the program got informed a couple weeks ago who they're admitting.

Penn is changing their formula up a bit as they're having paid on-site visits for those given offers next week. However, if you are on a waitlist, don't give up hope! I was actually explicitly not on a waitlist and they still circled back around to me on April 15, Decision Day....

Probably should have asked before I sent it, but I just emailed my POI at one of my accepted schools to ask about funding decisions as at the time of my acceptance three weeks ago the committee hadn't met yet. My main goal was to feel out if they had met since then and if there was some kind of timeline I could expect in hearing from them. Was this a huge mistake/example of poor etiquette? I don't think I came across as impatient or begging for funding, I just wanted to clarify what I could expect moving forward in the process.

15 hours ago, RepatMan said:

Folks were notified about Penn informal acceptances a little over a week ago. If you haven't heard, it's possible you're on the wait list but it's more than likely bad news. The professors were supposed to reach out individually to potential advisees/students of their subfield. Students in the program got informed a couple weeks ago who they're admitting.

Penn is changing their formula up a bit as they're having paid on-site visits for those given offers next week. However, if you are on a waitlist, don't give up hope! I was actually explicitly not on a waitlist and they still circled back around to me on April 15, Decision Day....

That's encouraging to hear! I'm super nervous and Penn is definitely my top choice. I was told I'm "high" on the waitlist but I don't know what this means. I'm just nervous because I feel as though it's unlikely. Do you know about how many wait-listed students are offered positions/which sub-field is the most/least competitive?

15 hours ago, towerbridge said:

Probably should have asked before I sent it, but I just emailed my POI at one of my accepted schools to ask about funding decisions as at the time of my acceptance three weeks ago the committee hadn't met yet. My main goal was to feel out if they had met since then and if there was some kind of timeline I could expect in hearing from them. Was this a huge mistake/example of poor etiquette? I don't think I came across as impatient or begging for funding, I just wanted to clarify what I could expect moving forward in the process.

I don't think so! It is completely fair to ask for clarification, as usually this is the deciding factor for students as to whether they accept an offer or not. 

17 hours ago, EagerAnthro said:

That's encouraging to hear! I'm super nervous and Penn is definitely my top choice. I was told I'm "high" on the waitlist but I don't know what this means. I'm just nervous because I feel as though it's unlikely. Do you know about how many wait-listed students are offered positions/which sub-field is the most/least competitive?

I think everyone on the waitlist is "high" because they don't keep a long one... maybe just 3-5 people. The good news is that they've made many offers to waitlisters in recent years. The bad news is, the department is putting a new emphasis on retaining folks with the initial offers--especially by hosting a substantial admit weekend event (weekend after next).

It's tough to answer your second question, I'm not sure who accepts or rejects offers more specifically. It's very contingent upon certain types of fits. For Bio, we have a very small program (really just 2.5 professors) so if people's projects don't fit, they don't (or shouldn't) come. Linguistics is the same--if you're not a Agha-nian anthropologist, this is not the Linguistic program for you. Cultural and Arch are a bit more broad in terms of coverage, so I'm not sure why people don't accept offers from those.

Either way, good luck!

Hello all, infrequent commenter here emerging from the shadows to ask for general advice. I've been waitlisted at my top choice (CUNY) and just found out that I am officially rejected from everywhere else--though I had been expecting that news for some time when I started seeing the acceptances on the results board. I am wondering what the best course of action would be. I  emailed the DGS two weeks ago (when I was still waitlisted somewhere else and waiting to hear from a few other places) letting him know that how much I love the program and how excited I would be to attend, etc. etc. Do I reach out to POIs? Email the DGS again? Start planning for next year already? My advisor insists that staying distant is the best course of action, but considering how horribly this application season is going I'm starting to question his judgement. Any and all advice appreciated--and congratulations to all those posting about acceptances! 

4 hours ago, orangeanthropologist said:

Hello all, infrequent commenter here emerging from the shadows to ask for general advice. I've been waitlisted at my top choice (CUNY) and just found out that I am officially rejected from everywhere else--though I had been expecting that news for some time when I started seeing the acceptances on the results board. I am wondering what the best course of action would be. I  emailed the DGS two weeks ago (when I was still waitlisted somewhere else and waiting to hear from a few other places) letting him know that how much I love the program and how excited I would be to attend, etc. etc. Do I reach out to POIs? Email the DGS again? Start planning for next year already? My advisor insists that staying distant is the best course of action, but considering how horribly this application season is going I'm starting to question his judgement. Any and all advice appreciated--and congratulations to all those posting about acceptances! 

I would only send out an email to POIs or the DGS if you have something substantial to add to the ongoing conversation (article accepted for publication, won the Nobel Prize, cured "WaitingForDecisions-itis, etc.") otherwise I would say to take a breath, hope to get accepted, but plan for the worst news.

Might sound a bit pessimistic but it is at least reasonably practical and is what I am doing.

6 hours ago, orangeanthropologist said:

Achhh I've been in your shoes some years ago and got into CUNY's anthro program from the waitlist. I imagine that the EO of the program sent you an email inquiring if you are still interested. I think an enthusiastically-worded email would definitely help. I really believe that visibility is important in this process. The best thing you can do, if possible, might be attending the colloqs that are organized almost every Friday evening by CUNY's Anthro program. After the colloqs there is a wine and cheese event where you may find a chance to talk to your POIs and emphasize your interest. However, if you get into the program from the waitlist, there is a good chance that you might have tuition-only fellowship. In that case, you may need to work hard (multiple TAships, TAships, and teaching your own class at the same time) to make a living. So you need to decide if you really want to take that path.