2018 Interviews and Results Thread

phyanth

2 hours ago, Indiana_Bones said:

I'm trying my best to sit on my hands and -not- call anywhere for updates, but... I'm so tempted. Especially for the places that have their graduate school review AFTER the department has forwarded them their choices. Somehow calling the graduate school feels less intrusive than calling the department...

Where are you waiting to hear from?

2 hours ago, scarseed said:

Does anyone know how many sociocultural folks were accepted at Columbia? I've seen a few results posted here but wonder if someone caught word of an actual number from the dept.

I'm aware of two, but generally they accept 8 total, usually 1-2 in arch.

2 hours ago, Indiana_Bones said:

I'm trying my best to sit on my hands and -not- call anywhere for updates, but... I'm so tempted. Especially for the places that have their graduate school review AFTER the department has forwarded them their choices. Somehow calling the graduate school feels less intrusive than calling the department...

20 minutes ago, smallaxe said:

Except worse: they had to wait for snail mail!:blink:

That actually seems better! At least you can’t obsessively check all day!

Hi I was the person who posted the utk phd acceptance. Got an email with an attached letter from the department signed by my POI and an additional email from my POI letting me know informally. I applied for archaeology. 

Hang in there everyone, I got lots of rejections and one waitlist this month so I totally feel you on the anxiety. (I didn’t let myself come on gradcafe until I heard back from UTK yesterday.)

2 hours ago, Patina said:

Hi I was the person who posted the utk phd acceptance. Got an email with an attached letter from the department signed by my POI and an additional email from my POI letting me know informally. I applied for archaeology. 

Hang in there everyone, I got lots of rejections and one waitlist this month so I totally feel you on the anxiety. (I didn’t let myself come on gradcafe until I heard back from UTK yesterday.)

Thanks for sharing! And congrats on your acceptance!

When you go on a campus visit, what are the most important questions to ask so you get the full picture? What do you ask graduate students vs. professors? One of the schools I applied to wants to fly me out, but I don’t want to seem like an idiot when I go, and I want to make sure I fully understand what being a grad student there will be like 

5 hours ago, Mitchell1 said:

When you go on a campus visit, what are the most important questions to ask so you get the full picture? What do you ask graduate students vs. professors? One of the schools I applied to wants to fly me out, but I don’t want to seem like an idiot when I go, and I want to make sure I fully understand what being a grad student there will be like 

This is probably the most comprehensive list of questions that you can use and build on! 

I got an email at 6pm, yesterday, so keep your eyes open.

UGA got back to me with an acceptance to the program, but I got waitlisted for a TA position. Mixed feelings on that, but overall better than not having heard much before.

On 2/22/2018 at 4:04 PM, Indiana_Bones said:

@AnthroChick21 South Carolina and UGA. Not holding out hope for the latter since their funding is so bad this year and I'm not a perfect match for the department, but I'm super anxious about SC.

They're both on my list for potential PhD programs too! I'll be doing my applications for PhD next year.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:50 AM, phyanth said:

@waltzforzizi you would think that they wouldn’t make such an egregious error considering the app fee... 

Has anyone heard anything from Michigan State?

@phyanth So a friend and I applied for Fall of 18 Bio, went to AAFS this past week. My friend asked POI and was told they were waitlisted. I did not discuss application status with POI, grad portal says applications still under review.