Waiting it out 2012... 'I've just submitted my application' thread

fenderpete

Come on guys, there have been times people have missed important mails, because they didn't check their spam mail, okay? So maybe we need to add important email addresses to the address book to avoid mail from such addresses going to spam ( I have already added gradadmissions@xyz.edu addresses for all universities I applied to , to my address book , but am not sure that those will be the only email addresses I might be getting the all-important mail from). At the same time, when we do check the spam mail, we know which mails to open by looking at the subject and sender , right?

Omgosh, I did this. Had all my important contacts for universities added to my gmail account. Then over the weekend my account decided to send out a string of spam to everyone. So embarrassing... I had to email every POI back and apologize for god knows what email/virus link was sent out!

Omgosh, I did this. Had all my important contacts for universities added to my gmail account. Then over the weekend my account decided to send out a string of spam to everyone. So embarrassing... I had to email every POI back and apologize for god knows what email/virus link was sent out!

I am VERY sorry to hear that. Here is some information on why it might be happening and how to prevent such instances:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/gmail/thread?tid=29a339d154d40e78&hl=en

I am really sorry to have caused you trouble :(

gradapp2012, this was not your fault, no need to apologize. I just happened to have all my important contacts in one account and gmail thought it would be funny to give me a heart attack. I'm sure everyone understood what had happened and has moved past it. I guess we just need to be extra careful with our accounts now that there are extra important people on our contact lists haha =D

i am so sick of checking my mail box every four hours:P,.. hey i talked to the admission co ordinator of Emory university and they said that my name wasnt in the list of students being interveiewd,.. so that means a clear rejection or m i in the waiting list? as i havent gotten any official mail or letter from them tellin me about my rejection.

So, I've finally completed all of my applications, and now I'm waiting it out as well. Eek! One of my universities had a Dec.1st deadline, so the results board says that they might contact applicants for interviews around the 15th. The other schools seem to contact applicants from mid-Feb to mid-March. It's going to be a long couple of months.

Since I'm here, I have a question for y'all. Two of my universities say that they're missing my GRE scores and transcripts, but another university has received all of these materials (and they were all mailed on the same day). I'm not really concerned because I figure that the universities are just busy and not updating those websites. Am I being too relaxed here? I've heard that most/some/a few departments will contact me if my materials haven't reached them after the deadline, but really, I think they should be there since I mailed them over a month ago, but just submitted my app within the last week. Ok...so I am freaking out a little bit. It's nice to be able to vent with people who are going through the same thing!

I used to work for a graduate admissions office when I was still in undergrad, and you're right in that this time of the year is especially busy and sometimes it takes a few days for materials to be matched, applications to be updated, and etc. We had folders upon folders of transcripts that we would receive before an applicant even completed their application, so suffice it to say things got a little confusing at times. We also had an automated system which would sent out reminder emails if information was missing; I wish that some of the schools I'm applying to right now did the same.

I'm in a bit of the same boat as you, actually. One of the schools I'm applying to directed us to send our mailed materials (transcripts, LoR, writing sample, etc.) to the department rather than the graduate offices. But now all of those categories are listed as "incomplete" on my application, even though they were mailed in November. Just to make things even better, Temple doesn't resume operations until Jan. 17, which is two days after my program deadline. Awesome. :)

Ugh! aforman1, I honestly don't understand why schools have their deadlines when they're closed! It just makes all of the last minute stuff pile up in campus mail and take forever to get sorted out. I used to work in a pre-med studies office (for students applying to med school), so I have some first-hand experience of how things are processed too. It makes me more and less concerned at the same time about the general, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, both of the apps that I was worried about now say that they've received all of my supplemental docs, but they also say the applications are incomplete. I'm going to go with someone in some office somewhere forgetting to uncheck the "incomplete" box, and I'm going to try to put this out of my mind until Feb. :wacko:

Just got an e-mail from "Tyler School of Art - Graduate School Admissions". After my heart returned to my thoracic cavity, I saw that it was a reminder that the deadline is coming.

Thanks.

Got an email from "Yale Admissions" today and my heart definitely stopped there for a bit.

Scrolled down to see what they were up to (after regaining my self-control), only to find out they were just telling me that general admissions had passed along applications to specific departments for review. Don't tell me that Yale! I don't need that kind of stress!

Got an email from "Yale Admissions" today and my heart definitely stopped there for a bit.

Scrolled down to see what they were up to (after regaining my self-control), only to find out they were just telling me that general admissions had passed along applications to specific departments for review. Don't tell me that Yale! I don't need that kind of stress!

Did the same double-take today too! The subject was "Application Status" and I thought I'd been rejected already.

Ugh! aforman1, I honestly don't understand why schools have their deadlines when they're closed! It just makes all of the last minute stuff pile up in campus mail and take forever to get sorted out. I used to work in a pre-med studies office (for students applying to med school), so I have some first-hand experience of how things are processed too. It makes me more and less concerned at the same time about the general, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, both of the apps that I was worried about now say that they've received all of my supplemental docs, but they also say the applications are incomplete. I'm going to go with someone in some office somewhere forgetting to uncheck the "incomplete" box, and I'm going to try to put this out of my mind until Feb. :wacko:

That's what happened to me with UPenn. I called the office and asked why my application still said incomplete, and the woman who answered the phone said "Oh that's just a technical error" and changed my status instantly. I refreshed my page and it said "Completed." So maybe call?

That's what happened to me with UPenn. I called the office and asked why my application still said incomplete, and the woman who answered the phone said "Oh that's just a technical error" and changed my status instantly. I refreshed my page and it said "Completed." So maybe call?

Yeah, happened to me and others too. Common error that probably only has bearing on what you see on the app, not what they see.

My app was incomplete for HGSE and I found out they never received my GRE scores. I found that out before the winter break. So I had a stressful holiday thinking about it. Called ETS and now my file says complete online. I will say, throughout this mess and I also emailed HGSE prior to applying, they have been pretty good about responding and are friendly.

On another note, just reading the results surveys from past years, I realize that the time for Emory's interview weekend is fast approaching (usually early Feb according to the data). I am now checking my email repeatedly hoping for an invite!

My similar issue with Temple was just resolved today in a similar manner. I was contacted by someone in the department (yay, finally!) and he told me that they don't even check to see if someone's application is complete until the deadline has passed, then they begin sending out emails asking for the additional materials if they are missing (at no penalty to the applicant). I was told that the graduate school's checklist is "irrelevant" until after the committee has forwarded your completed application to them. (So, I guess sending additional transcripts to the graduate college was probably overkill.)

Which means I am officially done with my applications! :) ... even though I submitted everything on my end in October. Why is it that I was still on the edge of the deadlines?

I kind of wish grad apps had a "live" status bar like the Domino's Pizza website. So it would say Prof. So-and-so reviewing! Prof. Such-and-such second review! etc.

Except for some reason, no matter what Domino's I order from, it's always some guy named Zack making my pizza.

A little something from the Books of Adam blog to capture that emotion in cartoon form for you!

tumblr_lxlz2ogXU21qzpwi0o1_400.gif

Also, I have joined the waiting crew today! Two apps in for York University! I've got two more due for February, but it feels really good to finally hit this topic thread, incomplete capacity or otherwise!

Edited by surefire

This just happened to me today! After a brief heart attack, I called admissions and a very maternal secretary checked the "complete" box, apologized for the mistake, and wished me luck. I say call!

Now that I have nothing to do but wait, it's proving even more difficult than having applications to work on. I'm going to build some strong patience I hope! That or drive everyone around me crazy too.. Sometimes I'm not worried at all and I think ahead to moving and getting ready, then I switch over to worrying about not getting accepted anywhere.