Waiting it out 2012... 'I've just submitted my application' thread

fenderpete

Anyone else having to restrain themselves from checking status updates even though there is not a chance that the programs have looked at the apps yet. I am just trying not to get started in that mindset until January at least! But it is difficult.

All the time. :0)

I have an iPhone and every time it makes the "ding! You have an e-mail!" sound...I have a small heart attack.

I'm about to strangle every biological supplies company we use...I don't care about your holiday sales...stop e-mailing me during such an important period in my life!!

I have an iPhone and every time it makes the "ding! You have an e-mail!" sound...I have a small heart attack.

I'm about to strangle every biological supplies company we use...I don't care about your holiday sales...stop e-mailing me during such an important period in my life!!

Hahah I do the EXACT same thing every time a new email pops up on my iPhone.

Anyone else having to restrain themselves from checking status updates even though there is not a chance that the programs have looked at the apps yet. I am just trying not to get started in that mindset until January at least! But it is difficult.

I do that too, and last year I started checking my mail 3 times a day...just in case it was late (whatever excuse I could manage). Just so you know - some schools don't ever update the status. I had a rejection last year that still shows up as 'pending- check with department for more information.' I'm sure some departments/universities are different, but they will let you know when they have made a decision. I'm jumpy when my phone gets emails too. At least right now I get little noises from recommendation submissions. I take what I can get!

Finished up my application last night. Only applied to one - I'm trying to stay in NYC to continue working part-time, I know I want this program more than any other and feel I have a better-than-decent shot at admission. I was actually planning to wait another year to apply, then decided to do it this year on a whim. Of course, now everything feels like it depends on getting it.

Don't know how some of you apply to so many of these at the same time, just one caused me enough stress as it is! Good luck to all.

Got e-mails from UPENN and UChicago withing a minute of each other.

One was an interview and one was a "we got your GRE scores".

....I'm going to go sit down for a minute.

Edited by spyf89

Congrats! That's probably the best form of difficulty I've heard of all day! Can you pass some of that on to me? :lol:

Sure. :D I shall try to beam some into your head.

Not a lot of sympathy here. Congrats not sorry.

Well, I don't know if I have any funding yet, which makes it slightly less awesome. But your lack of sympathy is understandable.

Ugh.... Being back home for Christmas without the distraction of work is making me actually start (horror), thinking about grad schools. It's now getting to the point where I'm going to have to put my money where my mouth is with friends/family. Before I've been able to downplay it all as 'there's just no way of knowing where I might/might not get in with/without funding.' Now it's all going to turn a lot more concrete in the next few months. I can't help thinking it'll end up being all or nothing.

Well, I don't know if I have any funding yet, which makes it slightly less awesome. But your lack of sympathy is understandable.

Ok, that puts it in a different light. Almost a tease then. Not sure which is worse.... you regain some sympathy! :rolleyes:

You know what? Let's look at this from a positive perspective. If someone (grad student? POI?) is taking the time to google us, we must have good enough stats to pass first cuts. If schools are receiving >500 applications, no way is every single person getting googled. :)

^ I tried this and they did not believe me, LOL. I think the on-line recommendation system shows the deadline.

Hoping my professor gets my remaining letter of rec in on time....I should've said the deadline was sooner!!

I tried this too, and it didn't work. My recommender even said something like "oh, by the way, I saw I had one more week to do it".

And this is form someone who uploads their letters the SAME day of the deadline. I mean, what does he expect? He must realize I have to factor in some extra time just to be on the safe side...