Waiting it out 2012... 'I've just submitted my application' thread

fenderpete

Still waiting for my third LOR. I'm starting to panic a bit because this is so out of character for her, and I'm concerned that she's gone on holidays and won't check her email until she gets back in January. A friend of mine is best friends with her daughter though -- this is totally inappropriate and unprofessional, but I'm really close to asking her to ask her friend to get her mom to check her email lol. If the letter isn't uploaded tonight, that's the plan.

Only applied to 2 schools. Had no life in undergrad so 3.96 UGPA, BS in Biology, 2 summers of lab research + currently in year long postbaccalaureate research-intensive program that only accepts 10% of applicants. knew my recommendation letter writers on a first name basis. i'm still paranoid as anything. and $250 poorer because of application fees, which is why i could only afford to apply to 2 schools. please give me an interview...please?

Officially all done (and all reccs. submitted - phew!) - now I just feel anxious about having to wait so long to find out. One day I feel like I will absolutely get in and others I feel like how could I possibly be chosen. Ugh!!!

Just submitted #5 of 9. First one that I've done not well in advance of its due date (it is due today). Too busy with finals to even be relieved/happy about submitting it. Back to paper writing and frantically studying for exams. At least I'm done all the December ones.

Still waiting for my third LOR. I'm starting to panic a bit because this is so out of character for her, and I'm concerned that she's gone on holidays and won't check her email until she gets back in January. A friend of mine is best friends with her daughter though -- this is totally inappropriate and unprofessional, but I'm really close to asking her to ask her friend to get her mom to check her email lol. If the letter isn't uploaded tonight, that's the plan.

It may be unprofessional but who cares? You rather your application gets submitted in time. Wait as long as you can and if you're really close to the deadline and she still hasn't done it, then go for it. It's not an issue. They understand.

One of my rec writers didn't write my recoomendation until the night of the deadline. I was panicking and wrote on his fb wall. And I asked my sister, who's a student at my old school, so go and talk to him and make him do it.

Seems unprofessional, but I had to get my apps completely submitted before the scholarship deadline. So he did them that same night. *thankfully*

So don't worry!

Edited by clover123

I submitted 6/6 applications. I went to universities in the UK so had to put 0.0 GPA in the application forms. Only after I submitted my applications, I realized that I actually applied to some of the most competitive universities in the US. Reading gradcafe threads for the universities that I applied, I am shocked that almost everyone has 3.9 GPA. I didn't even know that it was possible to have GPA of 3.9. That's like all As and maybe 1 or 2 Bs.

I am just curious. Why do some people already have an offer for fall 2012 entry? The deadlines for the most competitive universities just passed, 1st or 15th December.

You'd be surprised how many people don't actually have a 3.9 GPA so don't worry. It all depends on the major, the school, etc. When it comes down to it, a 3.9 GPA doesn't necessarily guarantee you admissions over someone with a lower GPA. It all depends on the applicant!

In regards to people getting offers for fall 2012, a lot of graduate programs will start reviewing your application once you've submitted all documents. Some schools will go ahead and get back to you while others will wait until they have received all applications before making decisions for fall.

Don't worry! :)

It may be unprofessional but who cares? You rather your application gets submitted in time. Wait as long as you can and if you're really close to the deadline and she still hasn't done it, then go for it. It's not an issue. They understand.

One of my rec writers didn't write my recoomendation until the night of the deadline. I was panicking and wrote on his fb wall. And I asked my sister, who's a student at my old school, so go and talk to him and make him do it.

Seems unprofessional, but I had to get my apps completely submitted before the scholarship deadline. So he did them that same night. *thankfully*

So don't worry!

Thanks, I went ahead and did it. My suspicions were correct -- I found out she's in Uganda until January and probably forgot about my Dec.15th deadlines (she submitted the Dec.1st letters back in November). Her daughter sent her a text, so I hope this gets sorted out soon :unsure:

Argh- why do the schools have you use the online system to check things and then, when you call to verify if they'll received a transcript because it is showing up as not submitted online, they tell you to disregard what it says online because they have it. Meh! Anyone else having these issues? All my transcripts should be in place since I ordered them/sent them out the second day of November for a Dec 1 and 15th due date. Le sigh.

My husband just dropped off my application package at the university. He works right by the school. This is my 1/1. There are only two programs like that in the whole country, and the other one is in French.

I was in the midst of a deep burnout last night when I was putting everything in that thick soft envelope. I have misspelled "PhD" in a black permanent marker. In case you are wondering, how one can accomplish that, I forgot to capitalize "d."

Concerning the discussion of GPA:

I always felt that it was just one of the simple filters to get through masses of applications schools receive. They get rid of the ones that are way too low, but everyone else has the same chances. I had a 3.9 in undrgrad and 4.0 in my Master's program, and if anything, I worry that it was a stupid and an unreasonable thing to do. It sounds like I am not really human. Who would trust a totally perfect score?

Argh- why do the schools have you use the online system to check things and then, when you call to verify if they'll received a transcript because it is showing up as not submitted online, they tell you to disregard what it says online because they have it. Meh! Anyone else having these issues? All my transcripts should be in place since I ordered them/sent them out the second day of November for a Dec 1 and 15th due date. Le sigh.

I was just about to post something like this! I'd called a school yesterday because I'd accidentally sent transcripts separately rather than in bulk as their website requested. They looked and said they had all my transcripts, so not to worry about it. But the status checker still says they have none of them, and it's definitely been more than two weeks since my transcripts arrived at all my schools because I sent them eaaaarly. :/

Edited by gellert

One of my LOR writers insisted on using paper, and the schools don't seem to bother updating the online system when they are busy. After waiting a month I called a few places, and they all said they had the rec, but haven't had time to update the system yet. I understand how jammed they are, but it is a little disconcerting when the deadline comes and the system things your app is incomplete! Still have 2 more schools that haven't updated and I haven't checked, but their deadlines are in January!

I only applied to one grad school last year, and since I was student teaching at the same time (meaning little time to dedicate to the application), surprise, surprise, I was rejected. This year I came at the application season from a very different angle, making more connections, going on visits, organizing a la OCD, getting revisions (and then a few more revisions), etc...

I finished my fifth and final (for now) application yesterday and I'm already beginning to relive the anxiety of the waiting process from last year (times 5!) For now, I'm glad to have the holiday season and work to keep me busy, but I know the next few months are going to be as painfully long as last time. I, like many of you, go back and forth between confidence and self-doubt, usually multiple times each day. Sigh...hope you are all feeling good about the mere accomplishment of applying in the first place! (not that I take my own advice!)

One of my recommenders had to submit after the deadline. So I contacted the program directly and they said it would be no problem. Some schools even allow recommenders to submit two weeks after the applicant's deadline. So, don't distress! And if you're really concerned, email the director of the program.

Done with 9/10. Won't be doing the tenth until next semester, as it is not due until Feb and my bank account is really drained.

its amazing how expensive applying to grad school is....i only applied to four and i feel broke

its amazing how expensive applying to grad school is....i only applied to four and i feel broke

I, too, am now broke because of the fees. I started out thinking I would do one at a time and be fine financially, but when one of my professors told me she needed to send all her letters at once (and earlier than I had intended!) I had to push not only to get applications done faster, but also pay for quite a few at once. I am amazed that the fees vary as much as they do. Mine ranged quite a bit, and prestige was not necessarily expensive (at least for now...obviously a different story for tuition!)

I just submitted my last app just now and I feel relieved. Although, I am not looking forward to the next three months obsessively checking email. I am not looking forward to all the holiday conversations revolved around it either. I keep second guessing myself one minute and then thinking "if they don't want me at their school it's their loss". I did not re-sign my job contract for next year, so if I don't get in anywhere I am going to be unemployed too. BONUS! Anyways, to all of you good luck!

I, too, am now broke because of the fees. I started out thinking I would do one at a time and be fine financially, but when one of my professors told me she needed to send all her letters at once (and earlier than I had intended!) I had to push not only to get applications done faster, but also pay for quite a few at once. I am amazed that the fees vary as much as they do. Mine ranged quite a bit, and prestige was not necessarily expensive (at least for now...obviously a different story for tuition!)

Ah, I hear ya....let's just hope it all pays off in the end and we get into the schools we applied to!

I've turned in 4 of 7, although thinking of cutting out one of them because I'm just so tired of applications! I had the awful realization yesterday that I missed a December 15 deadline, for a dual degree program. The way they had it was pretty confusing and made it seem like the dual degree was all due in January... turns out the one department has a due date an entire month earlier. Oh well, I'm taking it as a sign that I'm not meant to go dual right off the bat.

I'm really just going to be thrilled to have this whole application process over with. I have been working on my statement of purpose since this summer, although some programs didn't release their prompts until practically October, meaning I had to wait to tweak my essay. Before this all started, I thought the waiting would be the hardest part, but I'm so drained with applying that I barely even care about the result right now.

Oh, and almost none of my recs are in yet, so that's the current stress (like most others, it seems). My earliest deadline is Dec 30, though, so there is time.

Anyone else having to restrain themselves from checking status updates even though there is not a chance that the programs have looked at the apps yet. I am just trying not to get started in that mindset until January at least! But it is difficult.