Waiting it out 2012... 'I've just submitted my application' thread

fenderpete

Anyone else on the LOR tightrope? My first deadline is on Thursday and one of my letter writers hasn't yet submitted. I'm confident he will, and we've been in contact about it, but it's still a loose end for the time being.

I was until earlier today. The deadline for Berkeley was Dec 2 and one of my letters was not in. I emailed my program to inquire about what options I would have if my recommender did not submit the letter on time. I received a response indicating that recommenders would have until 12/16. After being on pins and needles for what seemed like forever, I received the notification today that it was submitted. My recommender apologized for the delay and I am grateful that it's finally in, but the LOR process seriously causes so much unnecessary stress. You might want to check with your programs to see if they provide a window for recommenders. I'm sure your person will submit. In the meanwhile, I commiserate with you. :(

Edited by litjust

I'm glad the LOR stress is over. However, one of my schools (JHU) either lost my IELTS score report or they threw it out. I'm resending it again through fedex, and I hope it will reach there within this week. Ugh. It's like I'm bleeding out money for all these apps.

Longtime lurker etc! Have just submitted two of six apps for sociology programmes. Usual trend of gone from very positive to thinking 'Why would anyone let me into Berkeley etc.?" overnight! Best keep busy for a few months!

I'm glad the LOR stress is over. However, one of my schools (JHU) either lost my IELTS score report or they threw it out. I'm resending it again through fedex, and I hope it will reach there within this week. Ugh. It's like I'm bleeding out money for all these apps.

Oh, you're so right!

It's like I'm bleeding out money for all these apps.

Who else spent over $1000 on applications? My school charges $13 to send out a transcript, I applied to 10 schools, I took the GRE twice, and I sent out my GRE scores twice. OMG.

People,

I have just put my writing sample in the folder with everything else. One of the pages with references has a slightly bigger than normal margin in the bottom. Alas, my printer died 3 minutes ago, and I can't fix that. And, seriously, I have no more nerve cells in my brain to devote to addressing the issue of the bottom margin.

The whole thing is going to the York University addmissions office tomorrow. It's the only school I am applying to.

I am applying to the PhD program in Communication and Culture at York and Ryerson (it's a joint program) in Toronto, ON

It's the only program that would work for me anyway where I am at. I cannot relocate. I have a toddler and a husband.

Well, let the waiting games begin. And may the odds be ever in your favor. :)

Who else spent over $1000 on applications? My school charges $13 to send out a transcript, I applied to 10 schools, I took the GRE twice, and I sent out my GRE scores twice. OMG.

I just finished everything a few days back with a total of over $1400... Between GRE, GRE Subject, extra GRE scores, application fees, transcript fees, mailing fees from my US school to Singapore so I could enclose in a package to go back to Canada...and that's only for 7 schools! I'll be as bummed for wasting all that money as for not getting accepted at this point.

On the bright side, my last LOR writer finally submitted his last online rec a few hours in advance of the deadline! It's now completely out of my hands and the waiting game for all schools has begun. Well, once those last three packages make it from customs in Vancouver to where they need to be.

Speaking of which, anyone else running into incredibly slow mailing? Every time I've mailed packages and letters from Singapore to the US and Canada in the past everything has arrived in 6-7 days, including weekends. I got tracking for all my applications and have been driving myself crazy watching as they sit in customs for a week and a half each, taking from 14-20 days each to arrive.

Third recommender submitted 1 on time, 1 was a day late, and is 4 days late on another app. Not holding my breath for the other apps due on Thursday. Thanks, prof!

Why do they do this?! Here's to promising that when we're all professors someday and students request letters from us, we won't wait until the very last minute. Or, worse yet -- not complete them altogether. This really seems to be the most nerve racking part of the application process.

Why do they do this?! Here's to promising that when we're all professors someday and students request letters from us, we won't wait until the very last minute. Or, worse yet -- not complete them altogether. This really seems to be the most nerve racking part of the application process.

I wonder, though, if our professors said the same thing about their professors and made that same oath.... :blink::)

I am going through exactly the same thing with reccs - my 3rd recommender has one day to go before the deadline.I sent him a friendly reminder - I just hope he actually pulls through. Don't these profs know we are all anxious and dying to get this process done with???

Also, do you think we get penalized if one of our reccs is a day or two late?

I have "Dont Worry Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin on repeat to help me calm down.

I'm also waiting for my third LOR for four applications with a Dec.15th deadline. The odd thing is that she uploaded half of her letters in mid-November (the Dec.1st deadlines, and one Dec.15th application). She doesn't seem to be in her office anymore because classes are over and her courses have exams in April, and she hasn't responded to my email reminder. I'm worried she might be out of town on holidays or something :(

I wonder, though, if our professors said the same thing about their professors and made that same oath.... :blink::)

Probably ... :)

Also, do you think we get penalized if one of our reccs is a day or two late?

I have "Dont Worry Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin on repeat to help me calm down.

I would check with your program. It shouldn't hurt. Plus, your correspondence will be added to your file, so at least the adcomms will know that you were trying to stay on top of things as much as possible (seeing as how reccs are pretty much out of our hands). I need to listen to that song too!!

i think it's so ridiculous that applying to grad school has to be so expensive. I understand the school fee and the GRE fee but charging $23 to send a print out with regular mail is just plain robbery. The cost of a print out is less tahn $0.10 + stamp and the time it takes for the employee to put it in an envelope it totals maybe $5. Why ETS has to be a for profit institution?!

Some of the Grad. Schools are flexible with recommenders (arriving after the deadline) as loNg as its been started (but not submitted for on-lines) its usually o.k I know this for HKS and it says so in your post-application info when you log on.

Anyway good luck I know what it feels like my last recommender came through 1 month after she got the log on info..PLUS some of these are super -ego's / buzy / VIP's etc and cannot be rushed... :) JUST KEEP AT IT !

Edited by Muna

i think it's so ridiculous that applying to grad school has to be so expensive. I understand the school fee and the GRE fee but charging $23 to send a print out with regular mail is just plain robbery. The cost of a print out is less tahn $0.10 + stamp and the time it takes for the employee to put it in an envelope it totals maybe $5. Why ETS has to be a for profit institution?!

Good question!! Why are GRE score reports $23?? It's such an odd number too.

I submitted 6/6 applications. I went to universities in the UK so had to put 0.0 GPA in the application forms. Only after I submitted my applications, I realized that I actually applied to some of the most competitive universities in the US. Reading gradcafe threads for the universities that I applied, I am shocked that almost everyone has 3.9 GPA. I didn't even know that it was possible to have GPA of 3.9. That's like all As and maybe 1 or 2 Bs.

I am just curious. Why do some people already have an offer for fall 2012 entry? The deadlines for the most competitive universities just passed, 1st or 15th December.

The wait Is even harder when you hate your current job lol... On my way to work I think about how I will be in a grad program next year and I can tough it out until June... Ahhh. I want to know.

Did you already receive an offer from BU? How come?

Crap, I too-belatedly realized one of my schools wants all the transcripts collected by the student and sent in a single batch. I had them forwarded by the schools separately. Whoops. Um. Advice? I guess the only thing I can do this late in the game is call the school in question and mention it.

Crap, I too-belatedly realized one of my schools wants all the transcripts collected by the student and sent in a single batch. I had them forwarded by the schools separately. Whoops. Um. Advice? I guess the only thing I can do this late in the game is call the school in question and mention it.

I'd say don't stress about it but do check in to ensure everything has arrived and it's not a problem. One of my schools clearly stated all transcripts had to be sent enclosed with other materials by the student, but on a little off to the side page had a little note that yeah okay they don't have to be and a lot of schools don't even issue transcripts to students so sending them direct won't hurt either. Chances are it's perfectly fine!