2018 Acceptance/Rejection Thread

mynameismyname

Yea wait until April 15th. Nothing is obligating you otherwise, unless you have family reasons or something else. certainly it is your right to hold off to see if you get another offer, even if its a remote possibility (i.e. you are at the bottom of the waitlist).

Edited by Neither Here Nor There

5 hours ago, SlumberingTrout said:

I'm trying to determine when I should respond regarding the offer I've received. It's a long shot that I'd be admitted from either of the wait lists I'm on, but I don't want to discount the possibility; it would be unfortunate to accept the offer only to receive another with better funding. (I feel like the proverbial dog with two bones.) Is the first week of April a reasonable time to go ahead and assume the wait lists won't pan out, or might there be other things I'm not considering? Anyone else in this situation?

I would say that you shouldn't commit until you hear back from your other live options. The spot is still yours until April 15, and it's not like you're holding anyone up. 

The hilarity happening on the results page today is really keeping my spirits up ?

No acceptances so far...Still waiting on results from CU Boulder, Tulane (even though not a ranked department, my top choice for family/POI/AOI purposes) and wild card Berlin School of Mind and Brain. 

This week I sent in the manuscript for my first book, on yoga and philosophy of mind. Without that distraction anymore, I’m spending way too much time on gradcafe again...but the community here is really fantastic and inspiring.

Big love y’all, stay strong.

Just admitted to Syracuse. First and likely only PhD acceptance. Also the very last place I'd want to go off of my apps. It's nice to not be shut out, but I'm going to need to get advice about whether to do a high ranked MA and try again or just go to a place I don't think is a great fit. 

3 minutes ago, Xia1 said:

Just admitted to Syracuse. First and likely only PhD acceptance. Also the very last place I'd want to go off of my apps. It's nice to not be shut out, but I'm going to need to get advice about whether to do a high ranked MA and try again or just go to a place I don't think is a great fit. 

If you are not too tightly bound by financial constraints I would recommend doing the high-ranked MA and using the extra time to polish your application. Being in a program you don't like for 5 years is unlikely to do you too much good philosophically or personally. Just my two cents' worth!

7 minutes ago, Xia1 said:

If you're getting decent or even semi-decent funding for the MA, then that seems to be the way to go. 

13 minutes ago, Xia1 said:

I have two PhD offers, but as of now I am leaning toward choosing one of the top MA programs (in at two, waiting on one more). I think I could use more coursework before doing a PhD and it will help my future app through writing sample, narrowing my interests, and letters of rec. I guess it matters also if the MA program is offering you funding. If not, the best bet might be taking a year off and reapplying (if you decide you really don’t want to go to Syracuse).

Edited by JeshZhavvorsa

23 minutes ago, eigenname said:

If you are not too tightly bound by financial constraints I would recommend doing the high-ranked MA and using the extra time to polish your application. Being in a program you don't like for 5 years is unlikely to do you too much good philosophically or personally. Just my two cents' worth!

21 minutes ago, Metanoia said:

If you're getting decent or even semi-decent funding for the MA, then that seems to be the way to go. 

18 minutes ago, JeshZhavvorsa said:

I have two PhD offers, but as of now I am leaning toward choosing one of the top MA programs (in at two, waiting on one more). I think I could use more coursework before doing a PhD and it will help my future app through writing sample, narrowing my interests, and letters of rec. I guess it matters also if the MA program is offering you funding. If not, the best bet might be taking a year off and reapplying (if you decide you really don’t want to go to Syracuse).

I definitely expected the opposite advice! Thanks all, I am also leaning toward the MA, it is indeed funded. I will probably consult my profs as well, but I haven't the faintest idea what they will say.

4 minutes ago, Pythian said:

Thank you! I thought I was going to be in waitlist purgatory until April.

Maybe you might even get a little something something from NYU as well this coming week! ;) Is this your top choice for now, or are you hoping to come off one of the wait-lists?

4 minutes ago, eigenname said:

Is this your top choice for now, or are you hoping to come off one of the wait-lists?

I am currently talking with my mentor about this very thing. I will probably be declining offers and taking myself off waitlists in the coming week. Hopefully this will lead to someone getting good news in the near future. Exactly which programs I am declining, I am not sure yet.

1 hour ago, Goonasabi said:

That was me haha.  I needed to heal my pains with humor....

You inspired me to have some fun too. The poster who claimed to have been rejected by Princeton by phone call, and despite never applying, might not have been telling the truth. One thing is true actually—I did not apply to Princeton.

2 hours ago, Pythian said:

I am currently talking with my mentor about this very thing. I will probably be declining offers and taking myself off waitlists in the coming week. Hopefully this will lead to someone getting good news in the near future. Exactly which programs I am declining, I am not sure yet.

Sounds like an awesome plan. I myself am just waiting on that inevitable NYU rejection next week and then deciding on a school after visiting. Really hoping that NYU decisions will come out early in the week and not Friday (or worse, the weekends)...

On 3/1/2018 at 11:16 AM, samsara2 said:

I haven't received a formal offer yet.

Have you received the formal offer by now? I was thinking if I should ask them about it......I know it's ridiculous, but I'm starting to worry that they might take the offer away from me... 

1 hour ago, episode413 said:

Have you received the formal offer by now? I was thinking if I should ask them about it......I know it's ridiculous, but I'm starting to worry that they might take the offer away from me... 

Just got one today! I highly doubt they'd take the offer away--they're probably just being slow at pushing them out.

Edited by samsara2