Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) / Projected Rejections

21 minutes ago, bpilgrim89 said:

Hearing all of these UChicago rejections is making me so nervous. I know I am not admitted (no interview), but I haven't received an email and the web portal still says it has no decision documents for me! Give me the sweet release of death, UChicago!!!

I feel the same. I'm thinking they've notified all the applicants who have been forwarded to their MA program, which wouldn't apply to me as I already have an MA. Just a theory? It's a rejection either way (no interview for me either) so I suppose it doesn't matter. 

54 minutes ago, punctilious said:

Same here! And forwarded onto “Master of Arts Program in the Humanities (MAPH).”

Hey, me too. Can anyone provide some perspective on whether or not this referral is any indication of possibly being admitted to that program? Or is this something they do with a lot of their rejected applicants? That's even ignoring whether or not I'm actually interested in the program, which I find doubtful. 

3 minutes ago, zwill13 said:

Hey, me too. Can anyone provide some perspective on whether or not this referral is any indication of possibly being admitted to that program? Or is this something they do with a lot of their rejected applicants? That's even ignoring whether or not I'm actually interested in the program, which I find doubtful. 

I was offered this last year. If I remember correctly, you *could* just enter that program. I'd reread the email; I think it should specify whether or not you've been admitted. They do it with quite a few rejected applicants. 

It's not my place to say, but I've heard some negative things about this program -- mainly, that it's a ploy by the university to get a bunch of money in tuition. That being said, I don't know a TON about the school / program / benefits. 

9 minutes ago, clinamen said:

I feel the same. I'm thinking they've notified all the applicants who have been forwarded to their MA program, which wouldn't apply to me as I already have an MA. Just a theory? It's a rejection either way (no interview for me either) so I suppose it doesn't matter. 

Same as I'm currently in an MA program. I just figured they would still refer all of us, thinking that someone would decide they needed a second MA.

7 minutes ago, zwill13 said:

When I did my first round of applications many moons ago, I was forwarded along with quite a few others and was admitted. I don't know if everyone is forwarded, but looking at the results of previous years, it looks like a lot are eventually admitted.

Edited by bpilgrim89

4 minutes ago, la_mod said:

I was offered this last year. If I remember correctly, you *could* just enter that program. I'd reread the email; I think it should specify whether or not you've been admitted. They do it with quite a few rejected applicants. 

It's not my place to say, but I've heard some negative things about this program -- mainly, that it's a ploy by the university to get a bunch of money in tuition. That being said, I don't know a TON about the school / program / benefits. 

It says that my application has been forwarded and I should expect a decision in early March. So are you saying they have the ability to offer admission to MAPH for rejected PhD applicants?

I've heard similar negative things. Definitely going to be a last resort type of consideration, if I must fall back to using that kind of wording. 

2 minutes ago, zwill13 said:

It says that my application has been forwarded and I should expect a decision in early March. So are you saying they have the ability to offer admission to MAPH for rejected PhD applicants?

Yeah, I was offered admission last year in lieu of a PhD acceptance. 

4 minutes ago, la_mod said:

Yeah, I was offered admission last year in lieu of a PhD acceptance. 

That I wasn't afforded an immediate acceptance definitely also paints a picture of how "badly" I've been rejected. Cool. And now with Northwestern's rejection, that's 2 down out of 8!

I mostly am just okay with knowing the decisions at this point so I can get on with my life. 

Edited by zwill13

That I wasn't afforded an immediate acceptance definitely also paints a picture of how "badly" I've been rejected. Cool. And now with Northwestern's rejection, that's 2 down out of 8!

I mostly am just okay with knowing the decisions at this point so I can get on with my life. 

I'm a firm believer that knowing is always better than waiting! And hey, it's not over till it's over!

3 minutes ago, la_mod said:

I'm a firm believer that knowing is always better than waiting! And hey, it's not over till it's over!

You know, it's funny how this whole process has worked out, and what has shaped my choice of school. The biggest constraint ended up being my incredible ability to forget to sign up for the GRE lit subject test in time... :wacko: 

I was just thinking about how it wouldn't make sense for me to give up on this, even if the cycle as a whole ends up a failure. If I actually want this as badly as I think and have thought that I do, then it will eventually happen with time and effort. And then in the meantime, the world is a beautiful place and I can explore my potential someplace else. 

Been trying to hold off joining Grad Cafe but can't help it today....first post, hi everyone! 

Stanford, Northwestern, and Chicago rejections today. :( 

got an interview with Columbia but I feel increasingly cynical about how I did....

You know, it's funny how this whole process has worked out, and what has shaped my choice of school. The biggest constraint ended up being my incredible ability to forget to sign up for the GRE lit subject test in time... :wacko: 

I was just thinking about how it wouldn't make sense for me to give up on this, even if the cycle as a whole ends up a failure. If I actually want this as badly as I think and have thought that I do, then it will eventually happen with time and effort. And then in the meantime, the world is a beautiful place and I can explore my potential someplace else. 

Very true! I took a forced "gap year" and it has been very good for me. I'm now facing a lot of rejection again and am wondering what I'll do this time if I don't get in, but....  I don't know, we gotta believe that things work out right. 

2 minutes ago, colin_cloute said:

Been trying to hold off joining Grad Cafe but can't help it today....first post, hi everyone! 

got an interview with Columbia but I feel increasingly cynical about how I did....

Hello! If you don't mind me asking, what's your emphasis in English? Also Columbia's interviews are so bizarre; I'm sure you did better than you think!

Hello! If you don't mind me asking, what's your emphasis in English? Also Columbia's interviews are so bizarre; I'm sure you did better than you think!

Early Modern/Renaissance! And thanks....I hope. What do you mean by bizarre? 

2 minutes ago, colin_cloute said:

Early Modern/Renaissance! And thanks....I hope. What do you mean by bizarre? 

Oh cool! And bizarre in the questions asked, I guess. When I interviewed last year they mainly made me ask them questions about the department and I wasn't expecting this at all and was thus totally under-prepared.

Very true! I took a forced "gap year" and it has been very good for me. I'm now facing a lot of rejection again and am wondering what I'll do this time if I don't get in, but....  I don't know, we gotta believe that things work out right. 

My opinion is that if we wanted the option of a more formulaic path to "success", or at least maturity in our field of skills, we would have done business, or engineering. It's like we've kind consigned ourselves to a reliance on determination or obstinacy as a primary career skill. 

6 minutes ago, colin_cloute said:

Oh yeah, these are my first posts too! Hello everyone!

2 minutes ago, zwill13 said:

My opinion is that if we wanted the option of a more formulaic path to "success", or at least maturity in our field of skills, we would have done business, or engineering. It's like we've kind consigned ourselves to a reliance on determination or obstinacy as a primary career skill. 

Oof. I've been reading a lot of Nietzsche the past few days and this fits right into that. Having one "virtue" is good? Ugh. Doesn't make it easier. 

Oof. I've been reading a lot of Nietzsche the past few days and this fits right into that. Having one "virtue" is good? Ugh. Doesn't make it easier. 

It's not about ease for Nietzsche, though, is it? Something something fighting the (idiosyncratically determined) good fight..

5 minutes ago, colin_cloute said:

Early Modern/Renaissance!

Hi there! I'm always excited to meet other early modern folks--I haven't encountered many as of yet on GC. If you're interested, feel free to shoot me a PM to talk about your area of focus and schools you applied to, etc. :) 

5 minutes ago, zwill13 said:

It's not about ease for Nietzsche, though, is it? Something something fighting the (idiosyncratically determined) good fight..

Of course! But I wonder if there’s a limit to it? When does struggle cease to be noble etc etc

Official Chicago rejection here. Expected based on the earlier call for interviews but I guess I still had some hope. This cycle certainly doesn't look good so far, but I'm yet to hear from 90% of the programs so there's still hope.