Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) / Projected Rejections

57 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Seconded! Hopefully schools will follow another choice Backstreet Boys song from the same album: "Anywhere for You"

At this point I'd be happy with "The Call"... :) 

5 hours ago, ltr317 said:

I seriously doubt if @msmith1381 was applying to English PhD programs with Albert Einstein and Weill Cornell on her list, but who knows for sure? 

I'm applying for PhD in Microbiology/Immunology with them. 

thanks for the info! :) I really appreciate it. 

35 minutes ago, Elle Coronaria said:

@JustPoesieAlong was that OSU waitlist you? I’m at work and I haven’t checked all the threads. Hope it is you!!

It was, and thank you! I apparently typed some nonsense letters at the end in my hurry to post before my next work meeting. Hoping you hear something soon. And you too, @Wooshkuh!

Another day... It's only 2:30 here, but I know that it's already 5:30 on the east coast. 

After a lot of soul searching (and reading about the dismal job market), I've sort of decided that I don't want to pursue a PhD any more. Despite that, I keep obsessively checking. If I didn't care, I wouldn't check though, right? 

So, do I really not want a PhD or am I such a control freak that I want to make the decision (instead of letting the schools reject me)? 

19 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

Another day... It's only 2:30 here, but I know that it's already 5:30 on the east coast. 

After a lot of soul searching (and reading about the dismal job market), I've sort of decided that I don't want to pursue a PhD any more. Despite that, I keep obsessively checking. If I didn't care, I wouldn't check though, right? 

So, do I really not want a PhD or am I such a control freak that I want to make the decision (instead of letting the schools reject me)? 

Maybe a little bit of both? I go back and forth. I know this is what I want to do, but I also know that my life will probably be just as fulfilling if I direct my energy towards something else, and caring so much about this feels borderline oppressive.

Also, if it is the case that you really don't want a PhD, it's still makes sense that you'd want to know about getting in. We've all spent a looooot of time thinking about / prepping for / investing ourselves in this. How could you *not* care?

22 minutes ago, Wooshkuh said:

I think, like me, you're just having a bad day. Chin up! 

6 minutes ago, Elle Coronaria said:

So I'm (implied) out for Penn State, Notre Dame, OSU, and Wisconsin-Madison.

Shitty day. 

It's quite possible that Penn State hasn't finished sending out acceptances if they started calls recently.

7 minutes ago, Elle Coronaria said:

So I'm (implied) out for Penn State, Notre Dame, OSU, and Wisconsin-Madison.

Shitty day. 

the one thing giving me pause on Penn and OSU is that admission was offered over phone and could be spread out over a few days. 

3 minutes ago, Warelin said:

It's quite possible that Penn State hasn't finished sending out acceptances if they started calls recently.

True, but historically they make VERY few offers to people who already have MA degrees. 

2 minutes ago, la_mod said:

the one thing giving me pause on Penn and OSU is that admission was offered over phone and could be spread out over a few days. 

It's possible, but unlikely. 

Thanks @la_mod for the encouragement. I'm out of reactions for today. 

I just can't help but feel that programs aren't interested in me (I was shut out last year). I've taken 72 college credits in English, the majority of them upper level. I have three conference presentations, specialized scholarships and awards in English from my university , I've been a research assistant at an undergraduate and graduate level, and I took my first graduate level class when I was at 19. 

When you take graduate level classes when you are 19, nobody takes you seriously. My MA GPA is a 3.65. I did my BA/MA program at program ranked between 25-35 for reference. 

And there you have it: the cost of overzealous, eager learning. A 3.65. I just can't compete with those 4.0s. 

I'm fully prepared for a shutout so I'm occupying my time with applying to master's programs! I think I'm just not a good PhD candidate right now. Probably should've arrived at that conclusion hundreds of dollars in app fees ago, but as awful as the app process was, I learned a lot about both applying and my own goals so maybe it was a good investment that I needed to make.

Thanks @FreakyFoucault.

I've been looking at PhD placements at some of the schools left on my list (Tennessee/Arizona State), and I'm disheartened by most of them. A lot of the recent grads teach at schools that I have never heard of or are lecturers/adjuncts. 

Maybe I should just be happy that I'm a full time lecturer at a great school (with benefits!)... 

Theory: not hearing back tomorrow from Vanderbilt=rejection. Terrible theory to throw onto all of you, but I'm prepping myself for rejection across the board. Going off of the past two years on the results board: positive results have come Jan 30/31.

3 hours ago, unicornsarereal said:

Theory: not hearing back tomorrow from Vanderbilt=rejection. Terrible theory to throw onto all of you, but I'm prepping myself for rejection across the board. Going off of the past two years on the results board: positive results have come Jan 30/31.

I'm bracing for that as well. Vanderbilt and Rice are slated to be my first responses. I'm already practicing my best Mariah Carey if they pass me over.. "Vanderbilt? Never heard of her." "Rice? lol that's food."

10 hours ago, M(allthevowels)H said:

I'm bracing for that as well. Vanderbilt and Rice are slated to be my first responses. I'm already practicing my best Mariah Carey if they pass me over.. "Vanderbilt? Never heard of her." "Rice? lol that's food."

I need to practice those as well !

I'm starting to think I'm getting shut out, and am losing my mind!