Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) / Projected Rejections

14 hours ago, WildeThing said:

Oh didn't see this. First of all congrats on the interview! Do you know if all prospective admitted candidates were being interviewed? What was the interview like? Did not expected to see Columbia interviews so any info you have would be appreciated.

As la_mod said I think not all prospective admitted candidates are interviewed so I'm not sure myself too....interview was short, around 15 min, they really just asked two questions: 'why grad school,' and 'why Columbia,' and then opened up for questions. 

15 hours ago, WildeThing said:

Oh didn't see this. First of all congrats on the interview! Do you know if all prospective admitted candidates were being interviewed? What was the interview like? Did not expected to see Columbia interviews so any info you have would be appreciated.

The only thing I can add to @colin_cloute to be at all helpful is that Columbia interviews seem to be heavily dependent on the applicant's subfield. One person that posted an interview in the results survey last year confirmed that they were doing Renaissance studies, so at least that subfield seems like it interviews more than others.

19 hours ago, Cormacc said:

It says that my application has been forwarded and I should expect a decision in early March. So are you saying they have the ability to offer admission to MAPH for rejected PhD applicants?

I've heard similar negative things. Definitely going to be a last resort type of consideration, if I must fall back to using that kind of wording. 

I have a close friend who’s in Classics and who graduated from that program last year. When I told him my UChicago application got referred to it, he told me it isn’t worth my time because it’ll put me into considerably more debt and that only 3 people in the whole program got any sort of funding last year (and they only received 1/3 of funding). He said the professors and school are wonderful, but if you have other options that’ll save you a lot in loans, then go for that.

Hope that helps!

18 minutes ago, TaliaTee said:

I have a close friend who’s in Classics and who graduated from that program last year. When I told him my UChicago application got referred to it, he told me it isn’t worth my time because it’ll put me into considerably more debt and that only 3 people in the whole program got any sort of funding last year (and they only received 1/3 of funding). He said the professors and school are wonderful, but if you have other options that’ll save you a lot in loans, then go for that.

Hope that helps!

Yes, it does. Thank you! I applied to the NSSR Liberal Studies Program, and that appears to be a much more reliable option, financially. That's only a relevant consideration if I'm accepted, of course. 

2 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

What's up with all these trolls, this year? It's going to mess up the projected calendar for next season.

Yeah it's really frustrating. I don't understand the point. That would be the second Harvard English troll this cycle, as far as I'm aware.

3 minutes ago, punctilious said:

Yeah it's really frustrating. I don't understand the point. That would be the second Harvard English troll this cycle, as far as I'm aware.

Some people do it just to be mean. Last year there were a few of us who were holding out on Columbia as our last school, and someone posted that they had been accepted, then admitted a few hours later that they did it to mess with us / make us feel like we didn't get in. People suck. 

Meh. I reported the Harvard response. I'm all for fun and sassy rejection comments - I prefer those over the self-flagellating kind - but that was just drivel. It's 2018, and that meme is dated! If they wanted to be relevant, they should have written, "Harvard told me to eat a Tide pod!"

3 minutes ago, bpilgrim89 said:

Meh. I reported the Harvard response. I'm all for fun and sassy rejection comments - I prefer those over the self-flagellating kind - but that was just drivel. It's 2018, and that meme is dated! If they wanted to be relevant, they should have written, "Harvard told me to eat a Tide pod!"

I did too. Probably wouldn't have if they had been more clever with the comment. 

7 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Last year we were a few posting that we got into Trump University, but they were deleted :D 

Too bad: I hear TU has a decent Russian Studies program... 

X-)

Edited by FreakyFoucault

11 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

It's good to report them. Last year we were a few posting that we got into Trump University, but they were deleted :D 

6 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Too bad: I hear TU has a decent Russian Studies program... 

X-)

Oh, for sure, but I've heard they have a lot of serious issues with Title IX violations. 

6 minutes ago, EspritHabile said:

Oh, for sure, but I've heard they have a lot of serious issues with Title IX violations. 

Fake news. 

4 minutes ago, ltr317 said:
12 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

The best according to Russia News and World Report:

They’ve been making HUUUGE gains in the rankings of late. 

40 minutes ago, la_mod said:

Some people do it just to be mean. Last year there were a few of us who were holding out on Columbia as our last school, and someone posted that they had been accepted, then admitted a few hours later that they did it to mess with us / make us feel like we didn't get in. People suck. 

!!! I wasn't around last year, but that sounds like the worst. Why are some people like this? Shame! Shaaaaame!

20 hours ago, Warelin said:

Personalized rejection from Northwestern. 

Sorry to hear that, Warelin. I think you're pretty much the hero of the boards in terms of generous and helpful information (and the data tables, oh, the data tables!), so I am rooting especially loudly for you. How many more are you still waiting on?

2 hours ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Fake news. 

They’ve been making HUUUGE gains in the rankings of late. 

So maybe that's the reason he recently received both an honorary Russian citizenship and honorary doctorate in theoretical and practical shysterism. 

5 minutes ago, punctilious said:

Anyone else get the extensive email trying to convince people of how great Chicago's MAPH program is? Ugh.

Yes!! I was like: Bye, Felicia! 

Although, nothing against UChicago. Still a great school! But that MA program raises my skepticism sense. 

3 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Yes!! I was like: Bye, Felicia! 

Although, nothing against UChicago. Still a great school! But that MA program raises my skepticism sense. 

Agreed! Plus it's just kind of sketchy that they have to do so much convincing for the program. I'm sorry but we just are not willing to pay for it, so there's no reason to forward us on!

6 minutes ago, punctilious said:

Agreed! Plus it's just kind of sketchy that they have to do so much convincing for the program. I'm sorry but we just are not willing to pay for it, so there's no reason to forward us on!

Definitely. $56k is a big ask for a terminal 9-month MA. If you're independently wealthy, then I'm sure it'd be a good program. But for everyone else, it just sounds off.