Quit Playing Games (With My Heart) / Projected Rejections

1 hour ago, colin_cloute said:

Been trying to hold off joining Grad Cafe but can't help it today....first post, hi everyone! 

Stanford, Northwestern, and Chicago rejections today. :( 

got an interview with Columbia but I feel increasingly cynical about how I did....

Hello!

And a Columbia interview is nothing to sneeze at! I'm a firm believer that we (almost) always do better in interviews than we think we do. Our own worst critics, and all that.

1 hour ago, colin_cloute said:

Been trying to hold off joining Grad Cafe but can't help it today....first post, hi everyone! 

Stanford, Northwestern, and Chicago rejections today. :( 

got an interview with Columbia but I feel increasingly cynical about how I did....

Oh didn't see this. First of all congrats on the interview! Do you know if all prospective admitted candidates were being interviewed? What was the interview like? Did not expected to see Columbia interviews so any info you have would be appreciated.

15 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

Oh didn't see this. First of all congrats on the interview! Do you know if all prospective admitted candidates were being interviewed? What was the interview like? Did not expected to see Columbia interviews so any info you have would be appreciated.

Sorry to butt in, but not all prospective candidates are interviewed. 

9 minutes ago, WildeThing said:

Thanks! Any idea on what the numbers are or how they process interviewed vs. non-interviews?

Nope! I got an interview last year and was ultimately rejected; I know others didn’t get an interview and were accepted. It’s always done by subfield, so maybe just medieval Lit is interviewing this year?

Hi gang, longtime lurker of this thread. I’ve applied to 12 schools. I had an interview with one (UC Davis) but so far silence from all the others. I’m guessing it’s implied rejections from Chicago, Northwestern, Emory, and UPenn. The past couple of days have been brutal. I tried to smoke weed to chill but it sent me into a spiral of paranoia. I sometimes wish I never discovered the results page. 

17 minutes ago, jshaarawi said:

Hi gang, longtime lurker of this thread. I’ve applied to 12 schools. I had an interview with one (UC Davis) but so far silence from all the others. I’m guessing it’s implied rejections from Chicago, Northwestern, Emory, and UPenn. The past couple of days have been brutal. I tried to smoke weed to chill but it sent me into a spiral of paranoia. I sometimes wish I never discovered the results page. 

English or Comp Lit? If English, UPenn hasn’t come out yet and likely won’t until the end of the month. 

2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Goods news at least that there have been no other Berkeley acceptances today :rolleyes:

Spoke too soon....

5 minutes ago, jshaarawi said:

Comp Lit. Interview emails have been sent out the past couple of days. 

Eek, sorry to hear :/ 

14 minutes ago, jshaarawi said:

Comp Lit. Interview emails have been sent out the past couple of days. 

I didn't hear from Penn until yesterday, so I think there is still hope. Good luck!

8 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

dammit (you see that 800 on GRE lit??)

Not to be a jerk, but 800 sounds fishy. Unless the scoring range has changed (which, granted, is possible), that number exceeds the highest score from 2013-2016 by forty points: https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_guide_table2.pdf. Sooooo I'm putting on my skeptical Homburg. 

But, if that 800 is legit, I will also tip my skeptical hat.

Edited by FreakyFoucault

7 minutes ago, FreakyFoucault said:

Not to be a jerk, but 800 sounds fishy. Unless the scoring range has changed (which, granted, is possible), that number exceeds the highest score from 2013-2016 by forty points: https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/gre_guide_table2.pdf. Sooooo I'm putting on my skeptical Homburg. 

But, if that 800 is legit, I will also tip my skeptical hat.

Also fishy with the other GRE numbers being in percentile and not raw? Idk maybe I’m being a jerk. 

A genuine congrats to whoever it is though; Cal is rad

2 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I'll give myself about 20 hrs till i chalk it up to implied rejection

Mellow, you need to ... dare I say ... mellow!! You got accepted to Chicago, no? You must have a killer strong application!!!! I have faith in you :D

FWIW, to receive an 800 on the 2002 LGRE, you'd have to get 228-230 questions correct. That just seems impossible. Again, things can change from test to test, but I'm having a hard time buying it. 

21 minutes ago, OceansAreBlue said:

@FreakyFoucaultI am terrible with these calculation of GRE scores and percentiles. However, ETS got rid of negative marking in the Subject GRE. It might have got something to do with that.

Good point, @OceansAreBlue -- I forgot that ETS revised the negative-marking system. As it turns out, the most recent practice test says that you'd have to answer 220-222 questions correctly to score an 800. That sounds more reasonable than 228-230 (though still quite tough).

Well, congrats to you, anonymous Berkeley admit, and here's to hoping we see more! 

Edited by FreakyFoucault