Fall 2018 Audiology Canada

AliGee

Hello everyone,

My name is Ali and I have applied for Audiology at Western and I am wondering if there is anyone else on the same boat? How was the application process? I saw that the GPA came out the other day so I am a bit worried, I hope it will be good enough for Western?

Hope to hear from you and learn about your experiences

I was just going to create a thread with the same title, and you had me beat. Unfortunately, I do not have any insights to share on the specific question you asked, because Western is the only (English-language) audiology program I did not apply for. I applied to UBC and Dalhousie. No movement on the UBC application so far. For Dalhousie, I received an email the last week of January saying that my application is complete and they will send out decisions in March-April.

Hello and welcome :)

On my end, I only applied to western. I didn't do the GRE so I didnt apply to Dalhousie. UBC is too far for me.

I got an email from Western telling me to create an account and the offers will come out on Apr 1 I guess.

Crossing my fingers 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I've applied to Dalhousie and Ottawa as well. I was waitlisted last year for Dalhousie SLP (they sent the notification March 17th).  Lets see what happens.  I thought that interviews for Ottawa go out this month...fingers crossed but I saw there was only 12 spots open:(

On 2/20/2018 at 10:30 AM, Mel1992 said:

Hi everyone!

I've applied to Dalhousie and Ottawa as well. I was waitlisted last year for Dalhousie SLP (they sent the notification March 17th).  Lets see what happens.  I thought that interviews for Ottawa go out this month...fingers crossed but I saw there was only 12 spots open:(

Welcome. Hope we all get lucky this year!

On 2/26/2018 at 5:12 PM, audio902 said:

Hello!

I applied to Western and Dal for Audiology. I was wondering if anyone knew what the average GPA of those accepted is? 

I read that the average GPA for students admitted in previous years to Western was a 3.7 for the past 20 courses, so around 80-84%. I'm not too sure about Dal, but it's probably around the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks!
I heard back from both Dalhousie and UBC this week that I've been accepted! Just wondering if anyone knows the class sizes/number of people accepted to either of these schools this year? 

Hope everyone has been getting good news as well :)

2 hours ago, Amy_Aud said:

Hi folks!
I heard back from both Dalhousie and UBC this week that I've been accepted! Just wondering if anyone knows the class sizes/number of people accepted to either of these schools this year? 

Hope everyone has been getting good news as well :)

Hi! I have also been accepted to Dalhousie :) based on their academic timetable it looks like there are 13 spots for Aud students. First year is a lot of foundations though and most of the courses are in combination with the SLP students. The combined classes have a max enrollment of 39.

Hope this helps!  

I am currently finishing up my first year in Audiology at Western (combined clinical/research program). I know that waiting, especially in the last couple weeks leading up to the decisions, it can be super nerve wracking. If you have any specific questions about audiology, the combined program, or Western at all, feel free to ask!

My stats last year:
ORPAS GPA: I believe mine was 3.73. I came from out of province, so my gpa at my university was higher than my ORPAS GPA. I know that people in my class have wildly varying GPAs. All over the map. Admittedly, when I was applying and looking through previous gradcafe posts, it seemed like everyone had 4 trillion volunteer hours along with a 5.0 GPA. That isn't the case.
Volunteer Hours: I had around 80 I believe. If you are over the required minimum, I am not sure it really matters. The number of hours that my class had also varied A TON (from the minimum to multiple times as many hours as me).

Although I don't know for sure, I was under the impression that the letter of intent and why you are choosing audiology is one of the more important parts of the application. It is definitely what I put the most time into in my application. I hope to see you guys here next year!

Edited by piylo

Hi everyone! Congrats to those of you who have been accepted :) I unfortunately have gotten a rejection from Dal last week and am waiting on Western and UBC. I've been really struggling with this news and I'm just coming on here to seek support since I've become really discouraged based on this news. Does anyone know how many people each school accepts? I know Western is 28-30 but I'm unsure about Dal and UBC. And can anyone offer tips on strengthening applications? I will probably be applying again next year but I'm wondering what I can do to make my application better. Thanks guys!

@AliGee, I've applied to Western too! Do you know if they use grad school courses in the GPA calculation? I have a 3.7 and already got a rejection from McMaster. Still waiting on U of A and U of T and starting to really hate this waiting game!

Hi Salsouqi, 

Sorry for the delay but as far as I know the graduate degree marks are not considered because the orpas does not include those I think. I was hoping the graduate degree gives some kind of an advantage but I am not too sure. I really hope things work out for everyone. Good luck.  I plan to apply to more schools next year if things dont work out this year. 

Any ideas how I can improve my application? Do the prerequisites require a high mark or they dont care as long as you have them?

Hi everyone!

I have been waitlisted at Western. It looks like Western doesn't start pulling from the waitlist until the first round offers expire, so I will have to be patient for a few more weeks. I hope you all heard good news!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Student123456 said:

I called and they said all the spots have been filled for Western’s audiology program. Congratulations to everyone who got in!

You never know someone could drop out last minute and they would need to fill the spot. I've heard of people getting accepted a week before a program starts. But good luck next year, message me if you ever have any questions about the program or whatever ☺