Vanier 2018-2019

Adelaide9216

5 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Other than the fact that it's a lot of money, I feel like when you get Vanier, you're taken more "seriously" as a student-researcher? Isn't that the case? 

I agree with this! It's also really nice validation for how you're performing in academia. 

46 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Other than the fact that it's a lot of money, I feel like when you get Vanier, you're taken more "seriously" as a student-researcher? Isn't that the case? 

Agreed. The honor will follow all along our career. 

3 hours ago, TBay said:

I think they do for SSHRC Doctoral awards but not for Vanier awards since they are online. SSHRC is different because it is mailed out, but on the same day they are mailed, the institutions get a list of winners by email, from what I understand, so that is why some people find out before the snail mail arrives.  I think with Vanier we probably get notice at the same time.   

Thanks, that makes sense! I guess I get a few more days to fantasize without trying to read all the facial expressions of my profs to see if they're in the know. Good luck!

19 hours ago, WKLP said:

Thanks, that makes sense! I guess I get a few more days to fantasize without trying to read all the facial expressions of my profs to see if they're in the know. Good luck!

I just went through the same juggling act.  LOL. I asked the financial aid coordinator at my school and they also said that if the supervisor was a reference they would not be notified.  Unfortunately she also said all tri-council awards could be late getting results out because they all fell behind due to the postal strike.  SHe told me to be prepared both Vanier and SSHRC results may be later than the dates projected. :(  But I hope not!

About last year, to make things clear: 

- We were supposed to know on March 30 and then the Vanier website said "early April". The results came out on April 5 around lunchtime. 

- We got an email saying the portal had been updated. You won't know if you won in that email. HOWEVER, if on ResearchNet you have a second line to click that says something like "View offer", then I believe it means you got it (or else there is no offer; only a "results" line to click...something like that). 

- Your institution will know at the same time as you--so don't worry if you see the dean or your advisor in the hallway lol 

- For the regular SSHRC award, your institution knows BEFORE you, because they email them at the same time as they send the letters by mail. Email your award coordinator and they'll let you know if you got it :)

- Regarding the tweet about a scholarship...it was a SSHRC MASTER'S CGS (results are out April 1 at midnight). The prof said it was a "doctoral" award but they got it wrong. 

let me know if you have more questions and GOOD LUCK!!

Edited by PsychBoy

16 hours ago, TBay said:

I just went through the same juggling act.  LOL. I asked the financial aid coordinator at my school and they also said that if the supervisor was a reference they would not be notified.  Unfortunately she also said all tri-council awards could be late getting results out because they all fell behind due to the postal strike.  SHe told me to be prepared both Vanier and SSHRC results may be later than the dates projected. :(  But I hope not!

I saw my supervisor yesterday and he was very gentle. It's a trying time for us all. I know it's a prestigious scholarship and very competitive and a great honour, but I'm so flat out broke that it might just mean the difference between finishing my studies or having to go work at Walmart at this point. If they'd even hire me with my skill-set, ha! Good luck and let's hope they put us out of our suffering sooner rather than later. 

10 hours ago, PsychBoy said:

About last year, to make things clear: 

- We were supposed to know on March 30 and then the Vanier website said "early April". The results came out on April 5 around lunchtime. 

- We got an email saying the portal had been updated. You won't know if you won in that email. HOWEVER, if on ResearchNet you have a second line to click that says something like "View offer", then I believe it means you got it (or else there is no offer; only a "results" line to click...something like that). 

- Your institution will know at the same time as you--so don't worry if you see the dean or your advisor in the hallway lol 

- For the regular SSHRC award, your institution knows BEFORE you, because they email them at the same time as they send the letters by mail. Email your award coordinator and they'll let you know if you got it :)

- Regarding the tweet about a scholarship...it was a SSHRC MASTER'S CGS (results are out April 1 at midnight). The prof said it was a "doctoral" award but they got it wrong. 

let me know if you have more questions and GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks, this is really helpful information. I must say it's kind of creepy that they make you click into the portal like that. I don't know how I'll muster up the courage to log in. I'd much rather just get an email to scan through and look for the word 'regret'. And congrats on your achievement!

2 hours ago, WKLP said:

Thanks, this is really helpful information. I must say it's kind of creepy that they make you click into the portal like that. I don't know how I'll muster up the courage to log in. I'd much rather just get an email to scan through and look for the word 'regret'. And congrats on your achievement!

Same! I am going to have a panic attack when I’ll get the email lol

30 minutes ago, gradschool__throwaway said:

The NSERC PhD awards were announced today- earlier than expected! So hopefully that means Vanier might be ahead of schedule too? Fingers crossed!

What was the expected date of results for NSERC?

3 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

How do you guys manage the anxiety related to results? The waiting is hard lol. 

Super hard. Just burying myself in work and trying not to think about it. 

12 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

How do you guys manage the anxiety related to results? The waiting is hard lol. 

I posted this question on our program's Facebook page and one person said they work out more or just do some stretching.  I decided to plan a dinner with my classmates to keep me busy so we are having a bbq on Tuesday before our final class for the year.  It feels good to look forward to that. Maybe try making some plans for something fun this week would help, Adelaide. 

On 3/29/2019 at 7:30 PM, gradschool__throwaway said:

The NSERC PhD awards were announced today- earlier than expected! So hopefully that means Vanier might be ahead of schedule too? Fingers crossed!

Do you know if all the acceptances were sent out Friday 

Hi guys, I'm waiting for the results of the Vanier CGS NSERC too! In case I get it, do you know if I can change the funding start date? I marked May 1 2019 but I want to reschedule for next year January, Thank you!

On 3/3/2019 at 11:14 PM, Adelaide9216 said:

Yes. . I got an excellence scholarship which covers for my tuition for four years (12 semesters) and I got OGS so far (5000$ per semester) (learned the news a few days ago). I also have a guaranteed TA or RA.

I forgot to put my PhD Admission Scholarship, oh noooooo!

28 minutes ago, astralsource said:

Hi guys, I'm waiting for the results of the Vanier CGS NSERC too! In case I get it, do you know if I can change the funding start date? I marked May 1 2019 but I want to reschedule for next year January, Thank you!

I'm guessing that your best bet is to tell your institution.  I think they administer the funds. Perhaps you can ask PsychBoy (he is in the discussion somewhere above).

1 hour ago, astralsource said:

I think when you accept the award they ask the start date again

worst case scenario you just email Vanier and they'll be okay with that