SLP DECISIONS 2018

Which school have you decided to attend? Did you get into your top school and already commit? Have you decided but haven’t told the school yet? Have you declined offers from other schools? April 15th is a bit away, but this will still be here then! Connect with others attending your school :) 

Hi! I have been fortunate enough to have some options but so far, am thinking of attending New York University since it was always tied for #2 on my list of choices! I put down the deposit but have not taken any steps other than that. I am waiting on Columbia (my #1) still to see if I got in/got any money. If I do get in, I would have a hard decision to make comparing Columbia and NYU. I sadly had to reject some programs already because their deadlines were only 10-14 days after the acceptance letter. I would have liked to hear from all of my schools before having to make such a decision but it at least forced me to get moving on the process and open up a spot for someone else. In the meantime, I am eagerly checking this site, NYU's site, Columbia's site, and hoping for some updates! This process is so exciting but extremely stressful and SLOW, as I know everyone can relate to! Best of luck!!

Accepted: New York University, New York Medical, Hunter College, Seton Hall, Montclair State, William Paterson

Waiting to Hear: Columbia University, Kean University 

1 hour ago, HooHooHooHoosiers said:

Which school have you decided to attend? Did you get into your top school and already commit? Have you decided but haven’t told the school yet? Have you declined offers from other schools? April 15th is a bit away, but this will still be here then! Connect with others attending your school :) 

Also, there's a thread to list and/or find Facebook groups! 

1 hour ago, Speechgirl25 said:

Hi! I have been fortunate enough to have some options but so far, am thinking of attending New York University since it was always tied for #2 on my list of choices! I put down the deposit but have not taken any steps other than that. I am waiting on Columbia (my #1) still to see if I got in/got any money. If I do get in, I would have a hard decision to make comparing Columbia and NYU. I sadly had to reject some programs already because their deadlines were only 10-14 days after the acceptance letter. I would have liked to hear from all of my schools before having to make such a decision but it at least forced me to get moving on the process and open up a spot for someone else. In the meantime, I am eagerly checking this site, NYU's site, Columbia's site, and hoping for some updates! This process is so exciting but extremely stressful and SLOW, as I know everyone can relate to! Best of luck!!

Accepted: New York University, New York Medical, Hunter College, Seton Hall, Montclair State, William Paterson

Hi!

I was also accepted to NYU and NYMC and am considering TC Columbia (if I get accepted). I'm having a lot of trouble choosing between the schools, though!

How did you make your decision? What are some of the pros and cons of attending each of those schools, in your opinion?

I'd really love to hear your input!! :)

I have been accepted to Longwood University, James Madison University, and University of Virginia. Every SLP I have spoken to has told me to go with the one that will cost me the least amount of money, but so many things factored into deciding to go to UVA. While it is the most expensive program of the three, it is only 40 minutes away from home so I can commute. This means I would be able to live with my husband and save on rent. In addition, I fell in love with the program and the level of support offered by the faculty. All of these things made it feel like the right choice for me.

I have not notified UVA of my decision yet because I am still waiting to hear about financial offers. I have turned down my spot at Longwood so I hope that went to someone on the waitlist!

4 hours ago, Speechgirl25 said:

3 hours ago, speech12345 said:

Hi!

I was also accepted to NYU and NYMC and am considering TC Columbia (if I get accepted). I'm having a lot of trouble choosing between the schools, though!

How did you make your decision? What are some of the pros and cons of attending each of those schools, in your opinion?

Continuing the conversation with you guys since I'm in the same boat! Although I chose not to apply to NYU or TC, I did go see TC and I would suggest you guys go visit if you haven't already. I was accepted to NYMC, Mercy, Seton Hall, Montclair State, Iona, and Yeshiva (still waiting to hear back from Kean & Touro). I'm having a hard time deciding as well, but I'm leaning more toward these: NYMC, Mercy, Seton Hall, and Montclair State. Financially, Montclair State would make the most sense for me. However, I do like the medical focus of NYMC. Mercy and Seton Hall both have study abroad options as well as different research opportunities, which I like. So if you have any feedback/advice I'd appreciate it :) 

1 hour ago, futureslp17 said:

Continuing the conversation with you guys since I'm in the same boat! Although I chose not to apply to NYU or TC, I did go see TC and I would suggest you guys go visit if you haven't already. I was accepted to NYMC, Mercy, Seton Hall, Montclair State, Iona, and Yeshiva (still waiting to hear back from Kean & Touro). I'm having a hard time deciding as well, but I'm leaning more toward these: NYMC, Mercy, Seton Hall, and Montclair State. Financially, Montclair State would make the most sense for me. However, I do like the medical focus of NYMC. Mercy and Seton Hall both have study abroad options as well as different research opportunities, which I like. So if you have any feedback/advice I'd appreciate it :) 

That's so great that you went to visit TC! Unfortunately I'm located out of town and won't be able to visit prior to putting down a deposit. (if I get in, that is!)

What did you think of TC during your visit? Would you mind giving your opinion on what are the program's strengths and weaknesses, and why you decided not to apply in the end?

16 hours ago, speech12345 said:

Hi!

Congrats! I was confused between NYMC and NYU for the longest time and did all kinds of research on programs, created spreadsheet to no end, etc. and found that the programs are pretty similar, even though NYMC is known for their strict medical focus more so than NYU. However, I visited NYMC one Sunday and was pretty disappointed to find that the campus was pretty small (NYMC only consists of a few buildings sandwiched between a large hospital and a prison...) and absolutely dead. Not a single student was seen outside, despite it being a beautiful sunny day, and every building was locked and dark.  Even though it was a weekend, I hoped to see some life.  This along with the dry nature of the emails I've received from NYMC/the organization of their website leads me to believe that the culture is very serious and independent with no time to socialize or develop close relationships.  NYU seemed to have a warmer, nurturing atmosphere and because the program is so similar, it does not seem like any kind of downgrade.  Not to mention, the programs are rated equally. Much of this is subjective, of course, but that's how I felt from visiting the school. If I get into TC, I would have to choose between there and NYU! Good luck!!

I got accepted to my second choice school, Grand Valley, but I haven't accepted their offer yet because I'm still waiting to hear from my first choice, Michigan State. Is anyone else considering these two schools and/or heard from them?

13 hours ago, futureslp17 said:

Congrats on your acceptances! Check out my earlier reply about why i chose NYU over NYMC; although its a great school I didn't get good vibes from the campus haha to put it plainly. Montclair also has a great program and from what I heard, a new clinical facility! My friend who goes there said the cohort is very close and she loves it. I personally crossed it off of my list because I always had NYMC and NYU higher and because I am going in with an MA in Special Education, I did not want to start another MA program. I don't think you can go wrong in your choice though! You might just need to consider what type of speech you are more interested in pursuing and what types of jobs alumni from each school have! Good luck!

25 minutes ago, Speechgirl25 said:

Congrats! I was confused between NYMC and NYU for the longest time and did all kinds of research on programs, created spreadsheet to no end, etc. and found that the programs are pretty similar, even though NYMC is known for their strict medical focus more so than NYU. However, I visited NYMC one Sunday and was pretty disappointed to find that the campus was pretty small (NYMC only consists of a few buildings sandwiched between a large hospital and a prison...) and absolutely dead. Not a single student was seen outside, despite it being a beautiful sunny day, and every building was locked and dark.  Even though it was a weekend, I hoped to see some life.  This along with the dry nature of the emails I've received from NYMC/the organization of their website leads me to believe that the culture is very serious and independent with no time to socialize or develop close relationships.  NYU seemed to have a warmer, nurturing atmosphere and because the program is so similar, it does not seem like any kind of downgrade.  Not to mention, the programs are rated equally. Much of this is subjective, of course, but that's how I felt from visiting the school. If I get into TC, I would have to choose between there and NYU! Good luck!!

Thank you so much for your reply! That was awesome information, super helpful!

You mentioned that the NYU and NYMC programs seem pretty similar -- in what ways are the programs similar? Like the courses offered, or placements?

I'm wondering because I am not so into the idea of working as an SLP in a medical setting, so even if I went to NYMC, I would want to make sure that I could get a solid background in non-medical SLP areas as well. Did you come across any info about the structure of the programs in that regard?

Thank you so much again!!!!

13 minutes ago, speech12345 said:

Thank you so much for your reply! That was awesome information, super helpful!

You mentioned that the NYU and NYMC programs seem pretty similar -- in what ways are the programs similar? Like the courses offered, or placements?

I'm wondering because I am not so into the idea of working as an SLP in a medical setting, so even if I went to NYMC, I would want to make sure that I could get a solid background in non-medical SLP areas as well. Did you come across any info about the structure of the programs in that regard?

Thank you so much again!!!!

Personally, I think NYMC is more like a medical school where the speech program was thrown in as an afterthought so it is treated like an extension of the medical school. I too am not sure I want to work in a medical SLP setting so I felt that NYU gave me options to do that or work elsewhere as well. It seems that they both have medical courses that I am interested in (I specifically love dysphagia) but NYMC will approach it from a medical point of view whereas NYU more from  a therapy point of view. NYU also has more of some other domains that would fall more in the school/clinic realm as well. You can look up the courses offered this year online! Both had placements that were across settings so experiences may be similar but it really comes down to which school you get that good gut feeling with! 

23 minutes ago, Speechgirl25 said:

Personally, I think NYMC is more like a medical school where the speech program was thrown in as an afterthought so it is treated like an extension of the medical school. I too am not sure I want to work in a medical SLP setting so I felt that NYU gave me options to do that or work elsewhere as well. It seems that they both have medical courses that I am interested in (I specifically love dysphagia) but NYMC will approach it from a medical point of view whereas NYU more from  a therapy point of view. NYU also has more of some other domains that would fall more in the school/clinic realm as well. You can look up the courses offered this year online! Both had placements that were across settings so experiences may be similar but it really comes down to which school you get that good gut feeling with! 

Such good information! This is so helpful!

OK, last question :) What do you think the major differences are between NYU and Columbia's programs?

5 hours ago, speech12345 said:

Such good information! This is so helpful!

OK, last question :) What do you think the major differences are between NYU and Columbia's programs?

Haha honestly I wish I could tell you that. If I get in to Columbia, it will be VERY difficult to decide. All I know is that Columbia has more of a campus than NYU, which I personally like, and that it has the bilingual extension. Course-wise, I think they both offer around the same courses and there is opportunity to be any kind of SLP once you graduate. If I get in, I will definitely do more research so I'll update back here:)

2 hours ago, Speechgirl25 said:

Haha honestly I wish I could tell you that. If I get in to Columbia, it will be VERY difficult to decide. All I know is that Columbia has more of a campus than NYU, which I personally like, and that it has the bilingual extension. Course-wise, I think they both offer around the same courses and there is opportunity to be any kind of SLP once you graduate. If I get in, I will definitely do more research so I'll update back here:)

Thank you so much for all of your help!!

Good luck with your decision!

Southern University in Baton Rouge is a good option for anyone who hasn't been accepted into a program.  They have a late deadline and take lower GPA and GRE scores.  Or so I've heard.  April 15th deadline.

Edited by slpcajun

Received acceptance to Edinboro in PA with a Graduate Assistantship. Haven't heard from 3 of my other schools so I haven't committed until I have all my options, but I am leaning toward this option. This assistantship would cover a large portion of my tuition plus a paycheck every 2 weeks. Just wondering if anyone has thoughts/advice about assistantships. Are they worth it? Is it a good opportunity? 

Thanks! 

I’ve already sent my deposit in to Emerson College in Boston! I applied to the four schools in Boston (Northeastern, BU, Emerson, and MGH) and got straight up rejected from the other 3 before I heard back from Emerson. I was absolutely terrified I’d be rejected (or waitlisted—somehow having to wait longer seemed even worse than just being rejected). The day I got accepted was one of the top ten happiest days of my life! 

I didn’t get get a chance to visit any of the schools besides Emerson but when I went for the interview I absolutely fell in love. At that point I’d only heard back from BU, but honestly after the interview and tour I knew Emerson was the school for me. Their clinic and resources seem amazing, the grad students were sooooo friendly, and the clinical director and clinical instructor I met were lovely. It just “clicked”. 

Tonight is the open house for accepted students and I’m so excited! If you were waitlisted or not able to make the open house for some reason and have any questions, let me know!

I know this is getting long but I’ll also mention—I’m one of those unicorns with a sub-3.0 undergrad GPA, no CSD background, and I spent the year after undergrad working a full-time food service job. Anything is possible and if you’re considering whether or not this path is for you because of your grades, I say take the leap! ?

I accepted my spot at Texas Woman's University TWU! I most likely have to start in summer. Anyone else going here or know much about the program? I think there are classes on both the Denton and Dallas campuses, so not really sure how that works. Any info is appreciated!