Surviving the waiting game

I’m either waitlisted or rejected from all the programs I applied to. Does anyone have advice for surviving the wait? It’s so hard knowing that essentially starting April 15th (20 days from now) I could start getting final answers. For anyone who was waitlisted, how soon after the April 15th deadline did you start hearing back (acceptances or rejections). Neither school I’m waitlisted at will tell me about where I stand on the list or how many people are on the list. I’m trying to remain hopeful, especially since the grad students at my top choice told me that last year half their cohort was accepted off the waitlist. But I also am trying to be realistic that I may not get accepted off the waitlist. I would just appreciate any advice.

I have no advice but I am right there with you. I have three rejections right now and no wait lists. I have two schools left but am losing hope. I don’t know how much longer I can keep staring at my email and checking this site. 

I was accepted off of a waitlist in July for another school. Since it was such a late acceptance off of the waitlist I had already made a decision at another school, my current school and went there. The waiting game is definitely hard. Especially when you see other people posting their results on sites like this and you start to question your own ability. I know I did that. But honestly, as cheesy as it sounds you end up where you are meant to go and everything works itself out. I know that I was checking my mail and emails like a mad person. So my biggest advice would be to distract yourself from constantly worrying about results. The decision is out of your hands at this point and worrying won't change anything. It also depends on the people that are accepted how quickly they get back to the school to accept a decision or not. This factor will effect how quickly people get off the waitlist unfortunately. I started to hear pretty close to April 15th if I got off the waitlist or not for most schools, but honestly it really depends. Some schools I had to wait till May to know or not. Remember you only need one school! :) 

I agree with @AlwaysaFalcon, you’re def going to end up where you’re suppose to go. I have yet to hear from 2 other schools, and my advice is to keep busy, talk about it with your friends/support system. I didn’t think i was going to get accepted anywhere, and I made a backup plan just in case that happened. Plus there’s always next cycle you can apply to. It’s never about how long it takes to finish the journey, but as long as you finish (very cheesy i know).

Good luck to everyone!

I'm in the same boat as you! Waitlisted to two programs, rejected from the rest, and waiting on one more but will probably be rejected. I'm going crazy having to wait even longer and i'm starting to arrange my backup plan. 

I would start looking into good second options if grad school doesn't work out. I'm crossing all my fingers and toes for you, but if worst comes to worst it'll be better to have a job/volunteer experience set up so that you can continue to improve your application. But don't lose hope yet! I know people that have gotten off the waitlist months after the April 15th deadline. The most you can do now is continue to kick ass, whether it's gettin' A's on your exams or working or whatever. If you really want to do something productive I'd suggest brushing up on IPA and some of the concepts from classes and taking up an all-mind-consuming hobby.

I also highly suggest browsing these forums and having a quarter life crisis. It's what I do best.

55 minutes ago, soontobeslp2018 said:

If I don’t end up getting in anywhere I feel like I might need to get therapy. Is that dramatic?

No, in fact I've already had to get therapy from the whole process alone :wacko: no shame in it

• 2 weeks later...

I am a second-year applicant and this is what happened to me last year. I got my rejection email from the waitlist of:

-Indiana State on May 3rd (sent out an email on April 29 with update)

-Duquesne on June 2 (sent out an email on April 19th saying they are keeping their waitlist open)

-Cleveland State University June 20th (no contact before then)

As for advice, i drove myself crazy checking this site everyday and im doing it again this year. I know its not always good for me but i can't help but try and feel like going on this site gives me the hope or information i need

1 hour ago, hopefulSLP2be7 said:

I am a second-year applicant and this is what happened to me last year. I got my rejection email from the waitlist of:

-Indiana State on May 3rd (sent out an email on April 29 with update)

-Duquesne on June 2 (sent out an email on April 19th saying they are keeping their waitlist open)

-Cleveland State University June 20th (no contact before then)

As for advice, i drove myself crazy checking this site everyday and im doing it again this year. I know its not always good for me but i can't help but try and feel like going on this site gives me the hope or information i need

Thankfully I emailed my top choice that I’m waitlisted at and told them I’m still very interested and will 100% attend if I get in off the waitlist and they told me I’m “very high” on the list. Which makes me feel like they’re confident I’ll get in off the waitlist, I don’t think they’d give me false hope about it

38 minutes ago, soontobeslp2018 said:

Thankfully I emailed my top choice that I’m waitlisted at and told them I’m still very interested and will 100% attend if I get in off the waitlist and they told me I’m “very high” on the list. Which makes me feel like they’re confident I’ll get in off the waitlist, I don’t think they’d give me false hope about it

Yeah, i dont think they would give you false hope! I wish you the best of luck!