Anyone Accepted to Grad School After an Online Post -Bac?

Hey there!

Has anyone been accepted to grad school after completing an online leveling program? If so, which program did you complete? Can you tell me a little bit about your experience and the rest of your application? 

Thanks!!

I had a great experience completing an online post-bac through California State University, San Marcos. When applying to grad programs, I was worried that schools would not accept the certificate as equal to a bachelor’s degree, but this turned out to not be a problem at all. There were a few programs that required certain prerequisite courses to be taken, so I avoided the ones where I didn’t think my courses met the requirements. One program I applied to said they would allow us to take any missing prerequisite courses after being admitted.

I didn’t have any direct experience in the field outside of observations, so I got creative with my unrelated experiences to explain how I would be a good candidate in the letters of intents and interviews. My undergrad GPA was good though not spectacular, but I had a 4.0 in the post-bac program. I ended up applying to 6 schools in California. I was accepted to 3, waitlisted at 1, and rejected from 2. 

1 hour ago, AnnaB70 said:

Hey there!

Has anyone been accepted to grad school after completing an online leveling program? If so, which program did you complete? Can you tell me a little bit about your experience and the rest of your application? 

Thanks!!

I'm completing my online post-bacc at Pacific University. I definitely feel like I've learned a lot. It's 8 courses (27 credits) that do a pretty good job of covering prerequisites. I would be wary of programs with only 5 or 6 courses as you may have to take additional ones after you're done. I did take a combo Audiology/Aural Rehab, which worked fine for me but some programs require 2 separate courses.

I have zero related experience (still finishing up observation hours, even). On my CV I stressed the time commitment of my two jobs to show both that I can handle the rigor of grad school and that I don't really have any extra time for volunteering, etc. I relied on my strong stats and writing. As you can see I didn't get in everywhere I applied, but I probably should have picked less competitive programs. And one acceptance is all you need anyways!

I completed the online post-bac at California State University San Marcos, and like @zamz I didn't have any problems when applying to grad programs. There was some programs I applied to where I was missing a few classes, that ultimately ended up with straight rejections so make sure to look through their requirements and email them if the class you are taking fulfills their requirements. I got an average GPA in both my post bac and bachelor's degree and my GRE score. I think what made me stand out as a candidate were my volunteer and observation hours. I volunteered at 3 different settings, and obtained over 50 hours of observation signed by an SLP. Overall, I applied to 5 schools (2 online, 2 in state, 1 out of state), and only got one acceptance. 

Good luck :) 

17 hours ago, AnnaB70 said:

Hey there!

Thanks!!

I completed my post-bacc online through the University of Wisconsin Eau Claire (Which I loved).  I did not have a problem with the fact that my classes were online at all while going through the grad school process.  In fact, none of the schools even mentioned it. 

I did my leveling courses at USU and ENMU. I got into all of the programs in my signature (New Mexico, Missouri State, Southeast Missouri State, northern Colorado, Idaho State, Wyoming, and Fresno State). 

Didn't have any issues with them being "online" nor do I have to makeup any prerequisites. 

I took select courses at a community college (statistics), Longwood University and Ohio State. All As except one B+. Got accepted to one school and waitlisted at 3. 

Do not recommend calling state San Marcos. Only bad experiences dealing with them. They also have a mandatory meeting part of their online courses. Longwood is cheaper anyway. 

I also did my 2nd bachelors at USU. It’s a great program with the best platform (they use Canvas...I despise Blackboard). I got into grad school my first try (NAU). I’m from CA and there is only one Cal State program that I know of that looks down on online programs (CSULA). But I’ve never heard of any other schools having an issue with online. 

Hi! I did my post-bacc through WKU online and I loved it. They were all online and I learned so much through them; and they were affordable. I got into two of my choices, including WKU. I picked up shadowing hours and volunteer experience to help boost my application. A huge thing for schools is the GRE scores and how you present yourself in your application. they don't care where you took your prerequisite courses, only that you have them and you got good grades in them! 

• 3 months later...
On 4/12/2018 at 6:44 PM, katherinexo said:

I completed the online post-bac at California State University San Marcos, and like @zamz I didn't have any problems when applying to grad programs. There was some programs I applied to where I was missing a few classes, that ultimately ended up with straight rejections so make sure to look through their requirements and email them if the class you are taking fulfills their requirements. I got an average GPA in both my post bac and bachelor's degree and my GRE score. I think what made me stand out as a candidate were my volunteer and observation hours. I volunteered at 3 different settings, and obtained over 50 hours of observation signed by an SLP. Overall, I applied to 5 schools (2 online, 2 in state, 1 out of state), and only got one acceptance. 

Hi @katherinexo ? I’m hoping you will reply back to me. I’m looking into post bacc programs and I stumbled upon San Marcos online post bacc for speech language pathology. I wanted to know more information about the post bacc application process? What do they look for? Is it a hard post bacc program to get into? I have no experience in the field of speech and I want to know if I have to have any experience before I apply to the post bacc? 

Looking forward to you response. Thank you! 

On 4/12/2018 at 6:44 PM, katherinexo said:

Hi @katherinexo ? I’m hoping you will reply back to me. I’m looking into post bacc programs and I stumbled upon San Marcos online post bacc. I wanted to know more information about the post bacc application process? What do they look for? Is it a hard post bacc program to get into? I have no experience in the field of speech and I want to know if I have to have any experience before I apply to the post bacc? 

On 4/12/2018 at 12:31 PM, zamz said:

I had a great experience completing an online post-bac through California State University, San Marcos. When applying to grad programs, I was worried that schools would not accept the certificate as equal to a bachelor’s degree, but this turned out to not be a problem at all. There were a few programs that required certain prerequisite courses to be taken, so I avoided the ones where I didn’t think my courses met the requirements. One program I applied to said they would allow us to take any missing prerequisite courses after being admitted.

I didn’t have any direct experience in the field outside of observations, so I got creative with my unrelated experiences to explain how I would be a good candidate in the letters of intents and interviews. My undergrad GPA was good though not spectacular, but I had a 4.0 in the post-bac program. I ended up applying to 6 schools in California. I was accepted to 3, waitlisted at 1, and rejected from 2. 

Hi @zamz ? I’m hoping you will reply back to me. I’m looking into post bacc programs and I stumbled upon San Marcos online post bacc. I wanted to know more information about the post bacc application process? What do they look for? Is it a hard post bacc program to get into? I have no experience in the field of speech and I want to know if I have to have any experience before I apply to the post bacc? 

3 hours ago, JenJenn said:

Hi @zamz ? I’m hoping you will reply back to me. I’m looking into post bacc programs and I stumbled upon San Marcos online post bacc. I wanted to know more information about the post bacc application process? What do they look for? Is it a hard post bacc program to get into? I have no experience in the field of speech and I want to know if I have to have any experience before I apply to the post bacc? 

Hi @JenJenn, I also came in from a different field with no related experience. I remember it being easy to enroll in the post-bacc program. There were two options: go through the full program (cohort-based) or take individual classes (non-cohort). To be eligible for the cohort, we had to have no more than two courses already satisfied. The application was very basic and I think just required transcripts. Shortly after I applied, I received an email with a form that listed which classes I had already fulfilled and which I would be able to complete through the post-bacc program if I were admitted. I’m not sure if they used GPA as a factor for admission or if they just accepted everyone who applied, because the program was pretty large (maybe around 70 in the cohort).

On 4/12/2018 at 1:01 PM, AnnaB70 said:

Hey there!

Thanks!!

@AnnaB70 I did four classes online through Utah State University (I wrote about my experience on my blog too), and I liked it a lot. They were the MOST organized online classes I'd ever taken - seriously. And I got several admissions offers. I applied to schools that would let me finish the rest of my leveling courses as part of my masters. I'd be happy to tell you more about my experience at USU or at UNM where I'm in grad school. Feel free to PM me or email me through my blog :)

Like many others, I pursued a 2nd B.S. degree from USU online. I got into 10/11 schools I applied to. I know this is all nerve wrecking, but you will be just fine :)  

On 7/23/2018 at 5:01 PM, JenJenn said:

Hi @katherinexo ? I’m hoping you will reply back to me. I’m looking into post bacc programs and I stumbled upon San Marcos online post bacc. I wanted to know more information about the post bacc application process? What do they look for? Is it a hard post bacc program to get into? I have no experience in the field of speech and I want to know if I have to have any experience before I apply to the post bacc? 

Like what @zamz had stated it was very easy to apply for. When I saw the application opened, I applied immediately in case it was a first come first serve basis. I was in the cohort base since I had no classes related to speech language pathology besides a stats class and child development/psychology. You don't need any experience, the first class in our semester required us to do observation hours with an SLP for an assignment. Very glad we had to do this because some schools require observation hours. Good luck :)