Doubting my abilities

I'm super excited that I have been accepted to a program! But I'm starting to worry that I won't be successful in classes or be a good clinician. I know I was chosen for a reason, I keep reminding myself that even though I was accepted off the waitlist that it doesn't change anything. The program I'll be attending is very competitive and very highly ranked which makes me nervous I won't be able to keep up with their standards. Anyone else feeling the same way? Any advice for getting over what I am feeling?

Advice:  Dale Carnegie has a book out on how to live above worry.  “How to stop worrying and start living”  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Stop_Worrying_and_Start_Living

in it, he tells the reader how to live in day tight compartments.  Meaning, you live day to day, ask yourself what you can change (by worrying (answer is nothing)); and how to prepare for it, overcome it, etc.

yes, this field is highly competitive   But you made the final cut.  Don’t doubt your abilities.  

Edited by SauronWasFramed

"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right." Just think, you were selected from a pool of applicants, probably hundreds. Something about you really stood out and the faculty at the school believe that you will be a good fit for the program. Grad school is not easy and there will be times where you feel that you are failing. Your professors and supervisors are there to help you not fail you. You got this! 

Edited by screechcat

2 hours ago, soontobeslp2018 said:

I'm super excited that I have been accepted to a program! But I'm starting to worry that I won't be successful in classes or be a good clinician. I know I was chosen for a reason, I keep reminding myself that even though I was accepted off the waitlist that it doesn't change anything. The program I'll be attending is very competitive and very highly ranked which makes me nervous I won't be able to keep up with their standards. Anyone else feeling the same way? Any advice for getting over what I am feeling?

I know exactly what you mean...I was accepted to my top choice school (which is also semi-highly ranked) and while the first emotion was feeling very proud because I worked soo hard to get in, the feelings of self-doubt have started to kick in.. I wonder if I can maintain their expectations of me and actually handle the program. It is so intimidating! I just wonder how I am going to have time to do everything. The fear of making a fool out of myself while being observed during a clinic is real! I'm right there with you.

2 hours ago, SauronWasFramed said:

Advice:  Dale Carnegie has a book out on how to live above worry.  “How to stop worrying and start living”  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Stop_Worrying_and_Start_Living

in it, he tells the reader how to live in day tight compartments.  Meaning, you live day to day, ask yourself what you can change (by worrying (answer is nothing)); and how to prepare for it, overcome it, etc.

yes, this field is highly competitive   But you made the final cut.  Don’t doubt your abilities.  

Thank you for posting this!! I'm going to look at it and really try to apply it.

I think in some small way we all have those moments where we think people are judging us. Undergrad is cut throat no doubt, because we all want into grad school so badly. There is no need to compete with anyone once we reach grad school level. You are the only one who can throw up a road block on your self now. You earned your place just like everyone else, be proud and keep your head up high. Find a mentor, or an advisor who you can confide in, so you have a support person when you are feeling this way. My undergrad advisor was amazing to me and her guidance keep me focused. I think the fact that you are so concerned about under-performing is a sign that you are going to be a diligent student, who gives 110%! Remember that your first day will be everyone's first day. We're all in this together! Good Luck, you are going to be an excellent clinician one day! :)

Imposter syndrome rears its ugly head again! From what I've read on this site and online, what you're feeling is extremely common for grad students in general, not just future SLPs. 

Personally, I'm feeling pretty confident about the workload, but I have zero experience in anything even remotely related to any sort of therapy, so I have no idea if I'll be any good or even like it. I love the subject matter, but it remains to be seen how well I can transfer this love and knowledge to a therapy setting. 

Don't worry though, we're all in this together!

20 hours ago, soontobeslp2018 said:

I'm happy someone posted about this because I'm starting to feel the same way! I am a preemptive worrier (like you it seems). However, while worrying isn't the best, it can sometimes push us to work as hard as we can! In my case, it has (although, I must admit it wasn't always helpful). BUT, I believe that at least some of it, is the reason I got into my top grad school, which I would say it ranked fairly well. <--- (which also makes me nervous). However, like others, I keep reminding myself I was chosen out of hundreds.. So, the grad school must believe I will do well (at least to some extent :D). 

Like another poster said, for now just try to enjoy your summer and RELAX. Take the time you need to mentally prepare for some of the stressors to come. Take up yoga or learn a strategy that helps reduce anxiety..... Also, make sure to adjust your academic expectations... A current SLP grad student told me to get use to getting "B's" & grades you didn't normally get in undergrad & KNOW THAT IT IS OK! Grad school is suppose to be tougher than undergrad which means you shouldn't be getting perfect scores on anything. All in all, DEFINITELY get use to receiving constructive criticism!

Let's hope I can take my own advice! AHH! Good Luck :)  

I totally agree with Mel.SLP.2018. I went to my phonetics professor distraught because my grade was only an -A. She just laughed and said "honey do you really think you'll be getting all A's in grad school?" She told me my goal will be to make sure I pass all my classes and keep that GPA over 3.0!  There is so much pressure from day one in undergrad to score as high as possible so we could get accepted into a grad program. We all just need to do our best and ask for help where we need it! We need to support each other as students and get through these next two years! We can do this!

Trust me as a current grad student I still sometimes doubt my abilities! I think it's because there is high pressure and we all want to do our best! But you are interested and have been chosen for a reason so believe in yourself! I have to remind myself of this and tell myself that I am going to be a good SLP! I think people are sometimes their own worst critique! We got this! :) 

On 4/21/2018 at 1:43 PM, soontobeslp2018 said:

Congrats on getting accepted!  I remember your other post (before you heard back) and I was hoping it would end up working out for you. :)  Just do the best that you can, you already made it this far, which is half the battle!  Go to your classes, pay attention, take good notes, and study as much as possible.  If you're unclear about something reach out to your professor or peers for help.  I think as long as you try your best you will do fine!  People say the hardest part of grad school is getting in and you're already done with that part.