• 2 months later...

I am applying! This my first attempt at grad school. I took the GRE and didn’t do great V: 153 Q:143 W: 4.0. I’m in region 20. GPA 3.54 

I graduated with my BS in CDIS in 2012 and have been working as an SLPA since that time. I am not too hopeful, but I figured if I never try I for sure will never get in. 

And now we wait!!! ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Lilly-Baum Maybe the typo will be small enough for them to overlook!

@Ggslpa I've been trying not to think about it since it's been two weeks already. I made another forum, but I think we can just post to this one since it's getting more activity than the one I did lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, momoftwo said:

I emailed Penny yesterday, she said we would hear back about a decision “between mid December and early January.” ?

Ugh! I was literally counting down the days! Maybe... they send the first round of acceptance letters on the 15th and as people accept or decline they send out more the next few weeks? What do you guys think? Maybe that is why she said mid December to January......

15 hours ago, Ggslpa said:

Ugh! I was literally counting down the days! Maybe... they send the first round of acceptance letters on the 15th and as people accept or decline they send out more the next few weeks? What do you guys think? Maybe that is why she said mid December to January......

This actually makes the most logical sense. I can't imagine they would have us wait another month to find out ?

I got my letter of acceptance today, at 10:18. I have until Dec 15th to accept, which I will since this is my second time applying to them. Check TWU email. Something made me want to check it tonight and I was shocked.

8 hours ago, MH13 said:

I got my letter of acceptance today, at 10:18. I have until Dec 15th to accept, which I will since this is my second time applying to them. Check TWU email. Something made me want to check it tonight and I was shocked.

Congrats! Wishing you all the best!!

I just checked my email after I just now read your post and I got accepted too!!!! lol I’m so excited. I got accepted to Emerson online as well but was waiting to hear back from TWU! 

We have until Dec. 15th to accept and if anyone decides to decline, that is when they will start accepting off the wait list. When I got waitlisted for the last cycle I found out the same day acceptance letters went out. My GRE stats are 155 V, 150 Q 5 Writing, GPA 3.8, started my 4th year as SLPA, all 4 years at the same school district. I have 2 kids, one in kindergarten and one in 1st grade, so I plan on sticking primarily to school-based SLP positions because I want time off with my children, which I did mention in my letter of intent. I am also employed in what would be considered a "poor" community (lots of dairy farms and migrant workers) and I stressed that due to the low income levels of my caseload, the school is the only source of speech-language therapy for our students, so I really need to continue my education to not only better serve our community, but to take off the load that is placed on our lone SLP, which changes yearly because of the high work-demand. I mean, its the God's honest truth... I just went for broke and laid it out there.

Thank you for the information,  this is my first time applying. 147 V, 138 Q, 4 Writing, 3.2 GPA (not the greatest stats), 2nd year SLPA in the same district. I wrote about what got me into the field (my brother) and experiences my family and I had working with various SLPs over the years. The same SLPs who are my supervisors are the same ones who serviced my brother. I talked about how I wanted to stay in the Title 1 schools as well. This is all I've ever wanted to do. I'm sooooo nervous. @MH13

4 minutes ago, BlackGirlSpeechie said:

Thank you for the information,  this is my first time applying. 147 V, 138 Q, 4 Writing, 3.2 GPA (not the greatest stats), 2nd year SLPA in the same district. I wrote about what got me into the field (my brother) and experiences my family and I had working with various SLPs over the years. The same SLPs who are my supervisors are the same ones who serviced my brother. I talked about how I wanted to stay in the Title 1 schools as well. This is all I've ever wanted to do. I'm sooooo nervous. @MH13

No problem! If you do not get in this round, use the time in between cycles to study the GRE, take it again and if you can swing it bump up the GPA. They will see that you were committed to working to improve your stats and the dedication it took. My previous letter of intent was about wanting to help students, as my mom was a reading interventionist and saw so much overlap with reading deficiency and speech-language disorders. That was my focus for Cycle 9 and maybe it just was one of hundreds they read. I don't know. My stats didn't change as far as GRE/GPA, nor did my LOR except one- that was just one SLP for another and I know what they both said (they told me-the can't keep secrets hahaha). Last time my SPED director recommended me, as well as this cycle, as did my first SLP supervisor. The only difference was my current supervisor, which at the time my supervisor for Cycle 9 did a LOR too, so I feel maybe the difference was my letter of intent. I just changed how I approached my letter of intent and felt that since I only had one page to tell them the situation with my district- I currently have 58 students 2nd-10th grade, the other SLPA has 49 PPCD-1st grade. The lone SLP is responsible for testing and all IEP meetings and 3 medically fragile students. We are also a small district and I don't see a slowing down of the amount of students or in complexity of the students' disorders. I just felt that I had one shot to just get honest about why I need to be in the program- I can't afford to quit and go back to school; the program was designed for working SLPAs.