• 1 year later...

Hi! I hope Someone still checks this thread and hopefully someone will reply. I am planning on applying to Cycle 11 this summer. For those that have been in the program now for a while how is the workload. Are you able to balance family life and school? I have 3 little ones (2 are school age) so I’m hoping I can Be super mom and make it all work. Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!! 

• 2 months later...
On 1/15/2020 at 3:35 PM, Snew07 said:

Hi! I hope Someone still checks this thread and hopefully someone will reply. I am planning on applying to Cycle 11 this summer. For those that have been in the program now for a while how is the workload. Are you able to balance family life and school? I have 3 little ones (2 are school age) so I’m hoping I can Be super mom and make it all work. Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!! 

You’re in luck. I’m a cycle 10 student and I have 2 kids- 1st and 2nd grades. I will say it’s hard balancing it all, but it’s so-able. You might not be super mom, but that’s ok. I can’t believe I’m almost done with my 1st year. I work full time as a SLPA in my sponsoring district, attend class full time and still able to attend a good chunk of my kid’s activities. There’s a LOT of reading. Lots. But as far as lectures go, all of them are recorded- even classes that meet at the ESCs- so it’s so helpful to go back and rewatch them. The professors And program directors are amazing and want you to succeed. Is it easy peasy? No. Neither is being a SLP. Do I feel like I will be prepared? Yes-absolutely. Wish I was in a different program? Nope. Do I have to study outside of class? Absolutely. In fact my group has a zoom meeting this weekend to complete the WAB for neuro. It will probably take us every single bit of the 3 hours we have blocked off to write the report. I also have to do and record my PowerPoint presentation over dysphagia for adult dysphagia by Tuesday. It’s a lot of work, but absolutely worth it. Oh- I know you didn’t ask, but by the time I’m done, my tuition will be just under 30k, another 2800 or so for the fees we have to pay to the ESC for them to hold our Tuesday classes and sending any work they require to be completed on paper/scantron. The region fees should be more than 2800 BUT due to COVID-19 we haven’t been to the esc since the beginning of March and won’t return until August at the earliest. Everything right now is on collaborate/zoom. We will get some adult competency via Simucase since we most likely won’t be able to complete externship this summer.