2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

@misaki_rabbit ? 

You’re not the only one checking this forum compulsively. 

Originally I was trying to stay away from here and live life without the apps weighing on my mind, but now I’ve decided to just enjoy the nervous anticipation. This process is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, right?

(Knock on wood. Please, universe, let this be my only cycle.)

My two cents, this is a healthy outlet. If it weren’t for this site, I would be bugging my friends and family nonstop with pointless conjecture. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think Ohio State waitlists for admission. I've heard they sometimes have to waitlist for funding depending on how much departmental money they have in combination with how students fare in the university-wide fellowship competition. Historically it looks like acceptance notifications have centered around 1-3 consecutive days, and all others are rejections. 

5 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

I don't think Ohio State waitlists for admission. I've heard they sometimes have to waitlist for funding depending on how much departmental money they have in combination with how students fare in the university-wide fellowship competition. Historically it looks like acceptance notifications have centered around 1-3 consecutive days, and all others are rejections. 

Oof, welp that’s too bad then. I was thinking the same thing, it seemed on past cycles all their admissions went out over like one or two days, and then their rejections went out shortly after. 

16 minutes ago, taraeh said:

Can someone claim the Northwestern applications? Subfield? Was it an informal acceptance?  On the edge of my seat...

I got in at Northwestern today (American/methods). It was a form email from the grad coordinator with an official letter attached from the grad director describing the offer.

Good luck with your apps!

Congrats to those who have been admitted!

Just realized there was a poster claiming the Harvard acceptance in the results page. Do you think it is a troll?

Another puzzle of mine: do you think it is a good idea to contact the POI which you haven't reached under the current stage? Will that hurt? Thanks!

I got into Northwestern today (CP) and i'm still waiting to hear back from other departments. I got an email from the program coordinator with a formal acceptance letter written by the the DGS detailing funding. Good luck to those waiting for a decision!

1 hour ago, Onwarrdz said:

Anyone know if Northwestern waitlists at all? Trying to figure out how discouraged I should be from the acceptances today.

Not sure about northwestern but I sympathize! It's annoying when schools don't send out decisions at the same time. I understand that the technology may result in some delays, but the decisions should be received within a day or two. Insane that they keep so many applicants in limbo.

6 hours ago, usmeme said:

Congrats to those who have been admitted!

Just realized there was a poster claiming the Harvard acceptance in the results page. Do you think it is a troll?

Another puzzle of mine: do you think it is a good idea to contact the POI which you haven't reached under the current stage? Will that hurt? Thanks!

Almost definitely a troll. They never release this early, plus when they do they release them pretty much all at once. 

I don't think it's really a good idea to reach out to a POI at this stage. Sounds like desperate last minute hoping that they'll do you a favor and advocate for your admission (they won't). 

21 minutes ago, sandmoon said:

Not sure about northwestern but I sympathize! It's annoying when schools don't send out decisions at the same time. I understand that the technology may result in some delays, but the decisions should be received within a day or two. Insane that they keep so many applicants in limbo.

I agree 100%, i've been frantically checking both the application portals and my email since the decisions started coming for the specific schools. For me thought its been a few days so I have just accepted the rejection, even though its yet to be formalized. 

1 hour ago, Onwarrdz said:

Anyone know if Northwestern waitlists at all? Trying to figure out how discouraged I should be from the acceptances today.

The Admission FAQ says that they don't send their acceptances at the same time, so I hope to hear from them in the next few days. (I really do, pretty upset about no news from Ohio State)

43 minutes ago, eggsalad14 said:

Almost definitely a troll. They never release this early, plus when they do they release them pretty much all at once. 

I don't think it's really a good idea to reach out to a POI at this stage. Sounds like desperate last minute hoping that they'll do you a favor and advocate for your admission (they won't). 

Thank you!

And for those who claimed acceptance and waitlisted of GWU. Does your portal get updated?

Mine still shows "You application is under review." I assume it is already a rejection.

15 minutes ago, bazing said:

Maybe I'm trying to justify it to myself but I don't think OSU IR PhD's have been accepted yet. Think adcom sent out for everyone else but IR. But if any OSU IR people have been accepted, please let us know.

For real? not gonna lie that throws the whole "made peace with my rejection" out the window now. 

7 minutes ago, Dwar said:

For real? not gonna lie that throws the whole "made peace with my rejection" out the window now. 

24 minutes ago, bazing said:

Maybe I'm trying to justify it to myself but I don't think OSU IR PhD's have been accepted yet. Think adcom sent out for everyone else but IR. But if any OSU IR people have been accepted, please let us know.

Guys let's be realistic here. Like 8 OSU acceptances on the results page and you don't think any of them are IR? Despite the fact that pretty much every year acceptances are centered around about 2 days, and that it is known that acceptances come from the department itself, and not a single coordinator or anything.