2018-2019 Application Thread

Leo9

10 hours ago, taraeh said:

Any more updates/thoughts on Madison??  only a few acceptances and then crickets...

I was accepted for American politics last week and booked my plane ticket to visit in March for their admitted students weekend. I'm excited! It's the only program I've heard back from so far. Full funding, stipend (amount TBA), and healthcare.

3 hours ago, pharyn98 said:

What's PSR?

50 minutes ago, andyischaos said:

you raise my curiosity

It's Political Science Rumors... Imagine reddit but for lonely trolls way too interested in politics and ruining other people's lives.

I just want opinions on my chances of getting into some institutions, as I am a young, first generation college student.  

Undergrad GPA: 3.655 (Major - 3.875)

MAT (Masters of Arts in Teaching): 4.0 

Relevant Experience: Undergraduate research and graduate research, TA for education classes (despite looking into grad school for political science)

GRE: 158 V (80th), 155 Q (58th), 5.0 AWA (92nd)

I applied to:

• American
  • Vanderbilt
  • UMaryland
  • UChicago
  • Notre Dame
  • UVA
  • Colorado - Boulder
  • Tennesse 
  • Emory (already been rejected)

6 minutes ago, ijustwantin said:

I just want opinions on my chances of getting into some institutions, as I am a young, first generation college student.  

Undergrad GPA: 3.655 (Major - 3.875)

MAT (Masters of Arts in Teaching): 4.0 

Relevant Experience: Undergraduate research and graduate research, TA for education classes (despite looking into grad school for political science)

GRE: 158 V (80th), 155 Q (58th), 5.0 AWA (92nd)

I applied to:

• American
  • Vanderbilt
  • UMaryland
  • UChicago
  • Notre Dame
  • UVA
  • Colorado - Boulder
  • Tennesse 
  • Emory (already been rejected)

What's your specialty? At some of the schools you listed, that can make a difference.

22 minutes ago, peggy.olson said:

Has anyone else heard back from Northwestern since the wave of acceptances on Wednesday? Starting to get a little worried!

Same boat here, kind of resigning myself to the fact I haven't got in to it now. I think if we were going to be accepted then we'd have heard back on Wednesday.

How do we check if its been updated anyway? My status still just says: payment accepted, form submitted successfully.

Edited by BritishPS

2 minutes ago, BritishPS said:

Same boat here, kind of resigning myself to the fact I haven't got in to it now. I think if we were going to be accepted then we'd have heard back on Wednesday.

How do we check if its been updated anyway? My status still just says: payment accepted, form submitted successfully.

The FAQ page for Northwestern says that acceptances are not all sent on the same time. I am not resigning myself yet.  Just got my rejection from UW-Mad. Expected but still hurts.  My highest hopes are for NW so here is to hoping we hear something today...

3 minutes ago, BritishPS said:

In previous years they have gone out over the course of a few days, not all at once. I'd be surprised if Wednesday was all the acceptances, especially because it's so early in the cycle still. 

Although it's possible I'm just desperate and deluding myself. Oh well...

Just now, Onwarrdz said:

In previous years they have gone out over the course of a few days, not all at once. I'd be surprised if Wednesday was all the acceptances, especially because it's so early in the cycle still. 

Although it's possible I'm just desperate and deluding myself. Oh well...

I've always been a pessimist. I just think if we would be accepted then we'd hear by now.

Just my opinion, but I think it’s really unlikely Northwestern has sent out all of their acceptances at this point. They usually admit between 25-30 each year, and I think we would see more activity via the results page if this many acceptances had already been sent. Also, as others have mentioned, the results page from last year indicates that Northwestern sends out acceptances over a period of a few days. 

1 hour ago, amyvt98 said:

I got waitlisted at GW. It was on the portal at around midday today. Generic letter (I thought it was a rejection at first until I re-read it). No email. 

Their way of accepting is almost the worst.

They emailed to those who were accepted and waitlisted a week ago and did not offer any updates to those who have not received any notifications.

Just let you hang in there.

I even feel that a direct rejection is much better.

1 minute ago, usmeme said:

Guys, also a poster claiming that he/she received an interview request from Penn.

Troll again?

It seems realistic enough. Last year's results have 2 interview notices, both in early Feb, so I can see it being possible that it's real. Plus, I feel like trolls usually try to hit us where it hurts (and by that I mean Stanford and Harvard admissions)

On 1/24/2019 at 9:48 AM, sandmoon said:

Also, there is a UCSD rejection on the results page. Anyone heard from UCSD?

I have a friend who's a current student in the UCSD program--their graduate coordinator is on vacation until next week, so I highly doubt there's much going on right now! 

1 hour ago, usmeme said:

Their way of accepting is almost the worst.

They emailed to those who were accepted and waitlisted a week ago and did not offer any updates to those who have not received any notifications.

Just let you hang in there.

I even feel that a direct rejection is much better.

Madison does this too. super annoying. I'd rather wait a few more days if they agree to release decisions to everyone on the same day.

12 hours ago, usmeme said:

Yeah- I didn’t get mine until this week. The professor I talked to in my interview told me that the IR and comparative acceptances went out last week (30 slots) and the American acceptances were going to go out this week (4 slots). So that explains why most of the letters went out in one big batch and the smaller batch came a week later. I’m wondering if some of the other schools do the same thing- that might explain some of the confusion I’m seeing on the boards this morning.

1 hour ago, amyvt98 said:

Yeah- I didn’t get mine until this week. The professor I talked to in my interview told me that the IR and comparative acceptances went out last week (30 slots) and the American acceptances were going to go out this week (4 slots). So that explains why most of the letters went out in one big batch and the smaller batch came a week later. I’m wondering if some of the other schools do the same thing- that might explain some of the confusion I’m seeing on the boards this morning.

That seems craZy and almost unbelievable that they admit 30 comparative and IR but only 4 American, seeing as they have many Americanists on faculty. 

Edit: Actually looking at the distribution of current grad students that's roughly believable but wow that's so surprising. 

Edited by eggsalad14

3 hours ago, eggsalad14 said:

That seems craZy and almost unbelievable that they admit 30 comparative and IR but only 4 American, seeing as they have many Americanists on faculty. 

Edit: Actually looking at the distribution of current grad students that's roughly believable but wow that's so surprising. 

That’s just what I was told by a member of the faculty. They let in 2 behavior and 2 institution students each year. 

Edited by amyvt98
Clarifying

59 minutes ago, Onwarrdz said:

Anyone have confirmation on the Northwestern rejection? Seems early based on when they sent them out in previous years. 

I think there's a good chance it's just a troll. Two of them say via email, one says via website - that seems weird to me. Who knows.. I have not yet received an email and my application portal still just says submitted.