2019 Canadian SLP Thread

On 4/30/2019 at 10:26 AM, EagerSpeechie2019 said:

Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist at U of A? I think I've only seen one person so far. Thanks!

Hey! I was accepted off the wait list at U of A on the April 24th at 6 pm. I'm pretty sure I was one of the first calls. I don't know if that helps you gauge how long they've been making calls for. I'm sorry you're having to go through this dreadful wait. I applied last year and got rejected, so definitely keep on working for it! All the best. 

5 hours ago, Salsouqi said:

Hey! I was accepted off the wait list at U of A on the April 24th at 6 pm. I'm pretty sure I was one of the first calls. I don't know if that helps you gauge how long they've been making calls for. I'm sorry you're having to go through this dreadful wait. I applied last year and got rejected, so definitely keep on working for it! All the best. 

Thanks for the reply! I’m still waiting. Not feeling good at this point. Its my first time applying so we’ll see. 

1 hour ago, EagerSpeechie2019 said:

Thanks for the reply! I’m still waiting. Not feeling good at this point. Its my first time applying so we’ll see. 

You made it so far for your first time applying, it's super rare to get in in the first try. Also they can give you an offer up until September, because people still have to wait for the official waitlist offer and then decline it... which all takes time, keep pushing through I know this wait sucks. 

Has anyone that has been accepted to Western received any e-mails about registering for courses or orientation dates? Is the tuition deposit and sending the transcripts the only thing we need to do right now? I'm just worried I might be missing something since I haven't heard anything from Western after accepting my offer 

22 hours ago, Slpeep101 said:

Has anyone that has been accepted to Western received any e-mails about registering for courses or orientation dates? Is the tuition deposit and sending the transcripts the only thing we need to do right now? I'm just worried I might be missing something since I haven't heard anything from Western after accepting my offer 

How did you pay your tuition deposit? My student centre says I owe nothing but I know we have to pay $500 to hold our spot. As for the transcripts we have to send more copies? I didn’t see this request. I also haven’t heard anything from them regarding registration etc. So it’s been making me nervous haha 

5 hours ago, Slptobe2021 said:

How did you pay your tuition deposit? My student centre says I owe nothing but I know we have to pay $500 to hold our spot. As for the transcripts we have to send more copies? I didn’t see this request. I also haven’t heard anything from them regarding registration etc. So it’s been making me nervous haha 

I didn't pay it yet but they gave details about how to pay the deposit on the letter of acceptance thats on our student centre. For transcripts, if they don't have your official transcript with all the prerequisite courses yet, then we need to send it again before June 30th 

41 minutes ago, Slpeep101 said:

I didn't pay it yet but they gave details about how to pay the deposit on the letter of acceptance thats on our student centre. For transcripts, if they don't have your official transcript with all the prerequisite courses yet, then we need to send it again before June 30th 

Okay! I think I’ll probably pay it tonight then. Thanks for your help, and I hope we hear more from them soon but I’m glad I’m not the only one that hasn’t heard anything

Edited by Slptobe2021

I am still on the waitlist for Western so I am assuming that it is unlikely at this point that I will be accepted.  Does anyone know if I am able to contact someone at the school to go over my application or get tips on how to improve for next year? I need to know soon because I need to know what courses to take in the fall.

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering how it works in terms of formal rejections? When do schools typically send those out? I'm a first time applicant and waitlisted at U of A and just wondering how the whole process works.

Thanks! 

9 hours ago, Loly694 said:

I am still on the waitlist for Western so I am assuming that it is unlikely at this point that I will be accepted.  Does anyone know if I am able to contact someone at the school to go over my application or get tips on how to improve for next year? I need to know soon because I need to know what courses to take in the fall.

I reached out about a week ago and Janet said they are still making phone calls. But I am in the same boat with you and am assuming I also will not be getting in. If you email Janet and ask her about your application, she usually gives good feedback in where your application needed improvement (I did this last year when I applied). Just as an aside, if you do end up contacting her asking about the waitlist can you let me know what she says? and if you have any other questions you can message me and I'll try and answer them since this is my second time around and I ended up speaking to some of the schools and they gave me some feedback. 

20 hours ago, SLP123PLEASE said:

I reached out about a week ago and Janet said they are still making phone calls. But I am in the same boat with you and am assuming I also will not be getting in. If you email Janet and ask her about your application, she usually gives good feedback in where your application needed improvement (I did this last year when I applied). Just as an aside, if you do end up contacting her asking about the waitlist can you let me know what she says? and if you have any other questions you can message me and I'll try and answer them since this is my second time around and I ended up speaking to some of the schools and they gave me some feedback. 

Hi, thank you for the advice.  I emailed Janet and she emailed me back very general feedback (obviously without having looked at my specific application). Essentially just that if I wasn't accepted off the waitlit then my grades are probably not high enough and/or my letter of intent needs to be stronger. 

Hey guys! Just a bit of info for those still on the waitlist for Western:

Janet emailed those who accepted their offers today saying that we will be getting more info about the program/what we need to do beginning-mid June, after the movement on the waitlist has stopped!

Basically, there is still hope!! Those on the waitlist are still being contacted, so don't give up all hope! I BELIEVE IN YOU! :)

22 minutes ago, 19SPEECHIE said:

Hey guys! Just a bit of info for those still on the waitlist for Western:

Janet emailed those who accepted their offers today saying that we will be getting more info about the program/what we need to do beginning-mid June, after the movement on the waitlist has stopped!

Basically, there is still hope!! Those on the waitlist are still being contacted, so don't give up all hope! I BELIEVE IN YOU! :)

Thank you for that info! Gives us all hope!!

On 5/4/2019 at 3:22 PM, Speechlp said:

Just got off the waiting list for McMaster! Was wondering if there’s a Facebook page ?:)

Congratulations! 

I was wondering if you could let me know what your spot was on the waitlist? I’m still waiting to find out if I get in. 

Hi Everyone,

For those of you who have applied twice could you provide any insight on how you strengthened your application? This was my first round of applying and would love any tips on how to boost my application.

Thanks! 

Guest SLPlz
2 hours ago, SLPhopeful2019 said:

Just got my acceptance into Dal SLP (well, my recommendation to FGS) off the waitlist!! 

Congrats! I've been lurking on the forum but haven't posted yet. I was also waitlisted at Dal (first time applying). Did you find out today, or earlier in the week? I'm half hopeful I'll get off the waitlist, but have a plan in place and will re-apply next year if I don't... fingers crossed. Would you by chance be willing to PM your stats?

5 hours ago, SLPlz said:

Congrats! I've been lurking on the forum but haven't posted yet. I was also waitlisted at Dal (first time applying). Did you find out today, or earlier in the week? I'm half hopeful I'll get off the waitlist, but have a plan in place and will re-apply next year if I don't... fingers crossed. Would you by chance be willing to PM your stats?

Hi! I found out this morning! I will pm you! 

Does anyone know which programs in Canada require the GRE and which don't? I can't really find consistent info on which schools require it.

Also, can people who were accepted to Western PM me with their stats? 

Edited by cneuz

11 hours ago, doubleyou said:

Congrats! I just got accepted as well (received the email on Monday) ?

I wonder if they’re sending out more than one acceptance at a time?? I guess that would definitely get the list moving faster. 

Edited by Eñee