2019 Canadian SLP Thread

Hi all! I am deciding between McGill and U of T. I was wondering if anyone was in a similar position and if so, which one did you choose?

Thanks so much!

Edited by speech27

1 hour ago, SLP2B_95 said:

Hi everyone! I was wondering if there was already a Facebook group for the University of Alberta SLP students class of 2021?? I would be happy to make one if there isn't already one out there.

Thanks!

I don't think there is yet! :) 

I'm not sure if someone's already made a group for Dalhousie students, if so please let me know and I'll delete mine. If not, please feel free to join! Search Dalhousie SLP 2022 on facebook :)

12 hours ago, speecheeze said:

Does anyone who got rejected in previous years and got in this year have any advice for how to improve your chances (specifically for UBC)? 

What worked for me to get onto a couple of wait lists (Western and U of A) for this year since last year was working on increasing my GPA, and also my volunteer hours in an SLP related field. I didn't apply to UBC though, so I can't speak for that :) . goodluck!

5 hours ago, dftba95 said:

I'm not sure if someone's already made a group for Dalhousie students, if so please let me know and I'll delete mine. If not, please feel free to join! Search Dalhousie SLP 2022 on facebook :)

Hey did you end up deleting this? because I cant seem to find it on FB. EDIT: i found it lol.. sorry

Edited by mnm1996

On 4/14/2019 at 10:01 PM, speecheeze said:

Does anyone who got rejected in previous years and got in this year have any advice for how to improve your chances (specifically for UBC)? 

I was not accepted to UBC last year. In my year off I took two online courses and picked up a job as an SLPA. If you cannot find work as an SLPA, reach out to as many clinics as possible and ask if you can volunteer or shadow. I also work as a Behaviour Interventionist with children diagnosed with ASD and so if you haven’t looked into paid positions , I highly recommend looking for work as a BI. If you haven’t picked up research experience, I also highly recommend that. UBC is a huge research school. I also changed two of my references which I think boosted my application. When you apply next year, maybe mention in your LOI what you did during your year off and how it further prepared you for the program! I think all schools like to see that their applicants didn’t give up and worked hard in multiple areas to be able to apply again. Hope this helps!! :) and I was in your position last year so I understand how awful it feels. Don’t give up and go easy on yourself!! My year in between applying was super beneficial for me and I’m in a way better mind set and position this year. Best of luck and don’t give up! 

Edited by SLPˈhjumənz

I was informed of my waitlisted position at Dal on April 2nd like the majority of folks on here. I responded and received a confirmation that they were updating my filed to confirm my spot on the waitlist. However, my online application status still reads "incomplete items outstanding" and "written decision to follow" even though below it shows that I've completed all the requirements on time. Anyone else have this issue? Just makes me worried when there are inconsistencies in the online system. 

I just remembered this forum existed! Probably this offer is ill-timed since most will have already made their decisions, but just in case: I am a recent grad from the McGill SLP program, if anyone has any questions from the POV of making a decision between schools, feel free to send me a message/reply to this.

2 hours ago, mbslp123 said:

Hi there! To anyone who has accepted U of T, do you have a JOINid? Slash where do you find that? It's giving me a strange error message.

I have the same question! I haven't been given any student login information to get into UofT's system

9 hours ago, overcaffeinatedslp said:

I was informed of my waitlisted position at Dal on April 2nd like the majority of folks on here. I responded and received a confirmation that they were updating my filed to confirm my spot on the waitlist. However, my online application status still reads "incomplete items outstanding" and "written decision to follow" even though below it shows that I've completed all the requirements on time. Anyone else have this issue? Just makes me worried when there are inconsistencies in the online system. 

Hi, I had the same issue and so I e-mailed their office asking about this inconsistency and they responded assuring me I was not missing any items and even if I were, they would notify me by e-mail should I be accepted off the waitlist. I just replied to the initial e-mail informing me I was waitlisted! 

2 hours ago, anonymous64 said:

Hi, to those who got into UBC, how much research experience did you guys have? And how involved were you in research projects (E.g. did you publish a paper, etc.)? 

Thanks

I did have almost 2 years of research experience in labs focused on language. I also was a co-author on a paper for a prof of mine.  

6 hours ago, anonymous64 said:

Hi, to those who got into UBC, how much research experience did you guys have? And how involved were you in research projects (E.g. did you publish a paper, etc.)? 

Thanks

Hi! I was a research assistant for two years and my lab director was also my thesis supervisor, so I basically operated out of the lab doing my own (supervised) research. No published papers but I did present my research at a few local conferences. 

I also knew UBC cared a lot about research while I was applying, so I made it  the focus of my letter of intent! I think even if you don’t have a ton of research experience, highlighting in your LOI that you’re interested in pursuing specific research interests would be super beneficial! :) 

I know UofT starts going through their waitlist today, does anyone know if this is the same for Western? In the email they told us “late April”, so I’m wondering if that could be today or most likely starting next week.

I’m starting to get so incredibly anxious...

Edited by 19SPEECHIE