2019 Canadian SLP Thread

Guest speakingvoice

Hi, I got into both UofT and Western and will be declining Western to go to UofT. Congrats everyone and best of luck if you're on the waitlist, you can do this! If anyone who's also going to Toronto wants to connect before then, please message me! :) I'm from Montreal and will be potentially needing one/some roommate(s). 

Edited by speakingvoice

Anyone else not hear anything from UofA yet? I know they said they would let everyone know by the end of the week but I’m still super anxious! 

15 hours ago, SL(ME) said:

To all the Dal acceptees, does anyone know if you can bypass the foundation courses if you already have taken the equivalent (as a prerequisite for another school)? 

It's allowed (in theory)! Not super common that people actually do it but you should definitely contact the school, at least one person has done it in recent years. 

Just now, lc_SLP said:

Hi, has anyone else not heard anything from Dal? My online application page says 'decision made' but I haven't received anything yet.

I heard nothing from Dal so far as well! And on my application page it says nothing.

1 minute ago, lc_SLP said:

Hi, has anyone else not heard anything from Dal? My online application page says 'decision made' but I haven't received anything yet.

Same here! I just checked and my online also says decision made. I was starting to worry they messed up my email address or something!! 

Hi everyone, 

Just discovered this forum. I switched from wanting to do OT to being an SLP after starting my job as an OTA and realizing how much I enjoyed the SLP side of things. 

I applied only to U of A and Dalhousie and was heartbroken when I received a rejection from U of A because it's where my home is. I thought I would at least be waitlisted but I am still completing two pre-reqs (one in an evening class and the other in spring because I work full time) and they told me that puts me at an automatic disadvantage. 

On the upside, on the same day as my rejection, I was waitlisted to Dalhousie. My friend who is in her first year of U of A SLP told me that the Dal waitlist moves a lot because everyone applies there due to no pre reqs and then turns them down if they get in at home. She also told me she was waitlisted at Dal and heard back as late as June 5th that she got accepted. I'm trying to keep my hopes up but I am also looking to applying to SLP programs abroad as back ups since I have a friend who was waitlisted at  Dal but ultimately went to London for her SLP degree and is now writing her certification exams. 

Does anyone know how large Dal's waitlist as well as how many students they accept or any general acceptance/waitlist stats? 

Edit: for those still waiting to hear back from Dal, I heard back tow days ago on April 2nd through e-mail so maybe make sure to check your junk mail? 

Edited by SLPhopeful2019

33 minutes ago, SLPhopeful2019 said:

Hi everyone, 

Just discovered this forum. I switched from wanting to do OT to being an SLP after starting my job as an OTA and realizing how much I enjoyed the SLP side of things. 

I applied only to U of A and Dalhousie and was heartbroken when I received a rejection from U of A because it's where my home is. I thought I would at least be waitlisted but I am still completing two pre-reqs (one in an evening class and the other in spring because I work full time) and they told me that puts me at an automatic disadvantage. 

On the upside, on the same day as my rejection, I was waitlisted to Dalhousie. My friend who is in her first year of U of A SLP told me that the Dal waitlist moves a lot because everyone applies there due to no pre reqs and then turns them down if they get in at home. She also told me she was waitlisted at Dal and heard back as late as June 5th that she got accepted. I'm trying to keep my hopes up but I am also looking to applying to SLP programs abroad as back ups since I have a friend who was waitlisted at  Dal but ultimately went to London for her SLP degree and is now writing her certification exams. 

Does anyone know how large Dal's waitlist as well as how many students they accept or any general acceptance/waitlist stats? 

Edit: for those still waiting to hear back from Dal, I heard back tow days ago on April 2nd through e-mail so maybe make sure to check your junk mail? 

Congrats on being put on the Dal waitlist! I was waitlisted in the audiology program before being accepted in May.

I don’t know how many people are on the waitlist. But Individuals are seperated Into two sections: maritime and non-maritime. If someone from the maritime decides not to attend they will find someone one on the waitlist from the maritime’s to replace them. There tends to be more movement on the non-maritime list.

One SLP student last year got accepted a week before the start of school. (But that does not happen often) All the others I know  about got in before August. 

Accepted students usually have 1-2 weeks to accept their offer. When a spot opens up it can take time before one is contacted off the waitlist. 

Every year is different. This year, there may be a lot of movement on the waitlist or only a couple of spots opening. It’s very hard to predict. Best to hope for the best but make plans to do something else in the fall.

Wishing all of you luck!

12 hours ago, SpeechM said:

Anyone else not hear anything from UofA yet? I know they said they would let everyone know by the end of the week but I’m still super anxious! 

I haven’t yet heard anything more either.... super anxious too!! I would think soon..... 

59 minutes ago, SLPhopeful2019 said:

Hi everyone, 

Congrats on the waitlist for Dal!  Did Alberta directly tell you that having pre reqs still being completed is an disadvantage then?  I got accepted into Alberta and am currently still finishing 2 pre reqs as well.  I hope Dal works out for you! 

Hi All,

I will be accepting my offer to UofT which will open up spots for Western and Mac! :)

I know there have been a few people on this thread that have asked about how to improve their applications and I would strongly suggest research experience. UofT and Western are research intensive schools so I think that is something they would like to see. I personally believe my research experience is what may have boosted my application as it was related to language and speech!

44 minutes ago, ChanceSpeechie said:

Congrats on the waitlist for Dal!  Did Alberta directly tell you that having pre reqs still being completed is an disadvantage then?  I got accepted into Alberta and am currently still finishing 2 pre reqs as well.  I hope Dal works out for you! 

Hi! Congrats on getting in! Yes they did they did tell me that specifically along with the other criteria they look at when deciding on applicants. They also emphasized having more than one incomplete pre req wouldn’t bode well when I went to an information session for prospective applicants. My incomplete pre reqs are also linguistics/phonetics courses so that may have been a factor. I’m sure it was a mix of other factors as well, I just thought I’d at least have been on the waitlist. 

Good luck to everyone else waiting, fingers crossed!

56 minutes ago, ChanceSpeechie said:

I haven’t yet heard anything more either.... super anxious too!! I would think soon..... 

I noticed in your next post you said you got into Alberta! Congratulations :D Did they just contact you recently today then? 

1 hour ago, audi101 said:

Congrats on being put on the Dal waitlist! I was waitlisted in the audiology program before being accepted in May.

I don’t know how many people are on the waitlist. But Individuals are seperated Into two sections: maritime and non-maritime. If someone from the maritime decides not to attend they will find someone one on the waitlist from the maritime’s to replace them. There tends to be more movement on the non-maritime list.

One SLP student last year got accepted a week before the start of school. (But that does not happen often) All the others I know  about got in before August. 

Accepted students usually have 1-2 weeks to accept their offer. When a spot opens up it can take time before one is contacted off the waitlist. 

Every year is different. This year, there may be a lot of movement on the waitlist or only a couple of spots opening. It’s very hard to predict. Best to hope for the best but make plans to do something else in the fall.

Wishing all of you luck!

Thank you for the information! 

50 minutes ago, SpeechM said:

I noticed in your next post you said you got into Alberta! Congratulations :D Did they just contact you recently today then? 

Thanks :)  I heard back on March 28th! Is Alberta where you are planning on accepting then? :) I really want to accept their offer so anxiously waiting!! 

Edited by ChanceSpeechie

Do those of you who have heard back from Dal still have this listed on the website? 

Application Status: Decision Made
Decision: Written Notification to Follow