2019 Canadian SLP Thread

1 minute ago, Salsouqi said:

Me! Havent heard anything at all.

glad i'm not alone! They seem to be all over the place with the way they are sending things! I kind of expected to hear back today though!

Just now, SLPme said:

Hey! Have you decided which school you will be choosing?

Most likely U of T. So hopefully someone gets off the western wait list & moves up the McMaster wait list!

2 hours ago, slpmb! said:

I found out this morning that I got accepted into Western and U of T! :) Does anyone know the tuition costs for these schools? Are they all pretty comparable across the board? 

I tried looking for their tuitions but it is nowhere on their websites!! 

Super congratulations on your acceptance!!! Please let us know when you decide what school you'll be choosing ❤️

Just now, rleeyh said:

Most likely U of T. So hopefully someone gets off the western wait list & moves up the McMaster wait list!

Thank you for replying and bless you for that choice haha ❤️ I'm on the waitlist for Western, and it is my only hope! 

3 minutes ago, acampbell said:

glad i'm not alone! They seem to be all over the place with the way they are sending things! I kind of expected to hear back today though!

I read earlier in the post that it took a while before everyone heard back, but yes it is entirely possible to hear back today- hopefully. this waiting game is not fun at all. Goodluck!

Just now, 2019SLPApp said:

Hey guys, best of luck to everyone waiting and everyone on the waitlists. I got my acceptance to UofT through email (no change on ORPAS yet). I will be attending McGill so spots will be opening up for Mac, Western, and UofT. Good luck!

Thank you for letting us know and for your well wishes! Happy to see spots opening up fingers crosed******

56 minutes ago, SLPme said:

1 Is there anything I should do to tell Western that I am interested in being on the waitlist? Is there any way to accept the waitlist?

2) ALSO they said they would begin calling waitlist people in late April if any spaces become available. Anyone have an idea/previous experience with what exactlyy they mean by late April? Is it at all possible that they could contact us this week or next week?

Hey there! I know in my western acceptance letter we have until Tuesday, April 16th to accept our offer. So hopefully you find out soon after that! They also called this morning to congratulate and asked if I was accepting (which I will be), I'm guessing they wanted numbers for those on the waitlist! Wishing you all the best xo 

3 hours ago, slpmb! said:

I found out this morning that I got accepted into Western and U of T! :) Does anyone know the tuition costs for these schools? Are they all pretty comparable across the board? 

Hey there! I know at Western open house they said tuition is $5000 a semester, for a total of 6 semesters. I am not sure the cost of Toronto, but hopefully this helps a bit! 

Just now, slpleaseee said:

Hey there! I know in my western acceptance letter we have until Tuesday, April 16th to accept our offer. So hopefully you find out soon after that! They also called this morning to congratulate and asked if I was accepting (which I will be), I'm guessing they wanted numbers for those on the waitlist! Wishing you all the best xo 

Thank you thank you so much for this inside knowledge haha ! BIG congratulations on your offer btw ☺️ 

2 minutes ago, peachyspeachie said:

I just firmly accepted to Toronto. That'll open up another spot for someone waiting on Western and Mac :)

Ps. Has anyone else firmly accepted an offer?? I got way too excited haha 

This forum won't let me love posts anymore, haha I understand your excitement I would do the same!! Thank youu for opening up a spot for Western ?

3 minutes ago, SLPme said:

This forum won't let me love posts anymore, haha I understand your excitement I would do the same!! Thank youu for opening up a spot for Western ?

You're very welcome! I was waitlisted at most schools last year, so I know the importance of making a decision to open up spots for those waiting. Best of luck!! 

Hi all, 

I remember reading posts about many people being worried about their cGPA in the final admissions process. I must admit I was too. But I want to give hope to those who are in self doubt. I was accepted into 2/3 schools and waitlisted at the other school with a cGPA 3.00. This is obviously very low but I showed improvements in my subgpa which was a 3.76. That being said, don't give up if you dont have a high cGPA. Try to make your subgpa as high as possible to demonstrate that you are an intelligent student that can improve. Everyone has those times in undergrad which they don't do their best, and mine were because I came to a point that I didn't care and that affected my gpa greatly. To make up for this I did a 5th year, so that's always an option for people looking to improve their subgpa. 

Also- to those who are worried because they had to repeat a course: I took stats in second year and did terrible, and then later when i realized I wanted to pursue SLP I retook a different stats course (it was a socsci stats instead of the science stats which was much harder). I also repeated one anatomy credit because I got a B the first time (need a B+ to apply to UofT). 

I really just wanted to tell my story to give others hope!! This is for the people who doubt themselves because they've come across bumps along the road. Don't give up, this experience has taught me that you don't need to be a PERFECT student to gain admission. You just need to be a hard working one.

Edited by peachyspeachie

15 minutes ago, peachyspeachie said:

Hi all, 

I remember reading posts about many people being worried about their cGPA in the final admissions process. I must admit I was too. But I want to give hope to those who are in self doubt. I was accepted into 2/3 schools and waitlisted at the other school with a cGPA 3.00. This is obviously very low but I showed improvements in my subgpa which was a 3.76. That being said, don't give up if you dont have a high cGPA. Try to make your subgpa as high as possible to demonstrate that you are an intelligent student that can improve. Everyone has those times in undergrad which they don't do their best, and mine were because I came to a point that I didn't care and that affected my gpa greatly. To make up for this I did a 5th year, so that's always an option for people looking to improve their subgpa. 

Also- to those who are worried because they had to repeat a course: I took stats in second year and did terrible, and then later when i realized I wanted to pursue SLP I retook a different stats course (it was a socsci stats instead of the science stats which was much harder). I also repeated one anatomy credit because I didn't get a B the first time (need a B+ to apply to UofT). 

I really just wanted to tell my story to give others hope!! This is for the people who doubt themselves because they've come across bumps along the road. Don't give up, this experience has taught me that you don't need to be a PERFECT student to gain admission. You just need to be a hard working one.

That's so crazy, I repeated stats and anatomy too! I agree re:not being a perfect student. I was really beating myself up about having to repeat courses but learning not to dwell on the past really helped me a lot :) 

1 minute ago, slpbc said:

That's so crazy, I repeated stats and anatomy too! I agree re:not being a perfect student. I was really beating myself up about having to repeat courses but learning not to dwell on the past really helped me a lot :) 

That's crazy!!! We are twinsies haha. I didn't know someone else was on the same boat. Same, I had so much anxiety regarding my past mistakes, but you're absolutely right.. we shouldn't dwell on the past.