2019 Canadian SLP Thread

3 hours ago, peachyspeachie said:

I just firmly accepted to Toronto. That'll open up another spot for someone waiting on Western and Mac :)

Ps. Has anyone else firmly accepted an offer?? I got way too excited haha 

Can you tell me why you chose U of T and not the other two? I'm trying to decide between the three (and being from the west coast I'm not too familiar with the areas and schools and such). Thanks in advance!! 

1 hour ago, SLPHopeful100 said:

Has anyone else heard anything from UBC??? 

I haven't ? hopefully we get some kind of news tomorrow.

11 minutes ago, lingskwa said:

So nerve wracking..... Everyone else has answers except for UBC!

I know!!! It must be coming soon though, considering some of the other schools' decisions are due in just a few weeks! Have you applied anywhere else?

1 hour ago, CanadianLinguist_ said:

Can you tell me why you chose U of T and not the other two? I'm trying to decide between the three (and being from the west coast I'm not too familiar with the areas and schools and such). Thanks in advance!! 

UofT is a dream pick because the program is located in the heart of Toronto, so there is a ton to do and also lots of important networking connections. UofT has a reputation of being very prestigious institution and it is the most recognizable by name in the East coast out of the three Ontario schools (as far as I know!), but I AM a UofT undergrad so maybe that's just my perception based on people I've encountered in Ontario! UofT would have definitely been my top choice because Toronto is a beautiful place to be and because I've met and learned from some pretty influential industry leaders here! Good luck with deciding! Haha and when you do decide please let us know to give us waitlisters hope!

5 hours ago, peachyspeachie said:

I'll PM you!

I'd also appreciate a PM! I was just hoping to get accepted at ANY school nevermind seriously have to pick!! I've been working at this for 2.5 years and it's overwhelming to have it pay off. 

also for people planning on applying U of A next year, you don't have to have an Indigenous history course already completed, it's also acceptable to explain how and when, like in spring between applying and June if you haven't taken one yet! 

1 hour ago, SLPseagull said:

I'd also appreciate a PM! I was just hoping to get accepted at ANY school nevermind seriously have to pick!! I've been working at this for 2.5 years and it's overwhelming to have it pay off. 

also for people planning on applying U of A next year, you don't have to have an Indigenous history course already completed, it's also acceptable to explain how and when, like in spring between applying and June if you haven't taken one yet! 

It really is a wonderful accomplishment- we worked so hard to get here. Big congrats on being accepted to multiple schools! I will PM you. :)

On 4/1/2019 at 11:40 PM, dftba95 said:

Got my acceptance this afternoon as well for Dal! Congrats!! Do you know anything about potential funding? I didn’t apply for the thesis option so I don’t know if there’s any funding allocated for non-thesis students. 

To those of you waiting, I hope you all hear back soon. I’m sending good vibes your way ❤️

Congrats!!!  I was accepted to the thesis track but I have not done any research on funding yet. I would imagine there are scholarships for graduate students who aren't in the thesis track though! 

Does anybody know, perhaps from speaking with people who applied in previous years, how fast schools tend to go through the waitlist? It's promising that since many of us have applied to several schools and we can only accept one, being on the waitlist can actually lead to acceptance. I'm wondering if for ON schools, whether we can find out if we have been taken off the waitlist BEFORE April 16th or more likely after. 

To all the Dal acceptees, does anyone know if you can bypass the foundation courses if you already have taken the equivalent (as a prerequisite for another school)? 

13 minutes ago, SL(ME) said:

To all the Dal acceptees, does anyone know if you can bypass the foundation courses if you already have taken the equivalent (as a prerequisite for another school)? 

I shadowed an S-LP who graduated from DAL about 6 years ago, and she said that she was exempt from Phonetics for having taken the course during undergrad. That was a while ago obviously, so I don't know if that's still the case, but there's definitely a history of it!

Hey, I’m wondering if anyone who’s been accepted to the UofA has received their Official Admission Letter? 

In the letter I received it said there wasn’t an exact day that it would appear in the portal but I just wanted to check with you all!

36 minutes ago, YeSLP said:

Hey, I’m wondering if anyone who’s been accepted to the UofA has received their Official Admission Letter? 

In the letter I received it said there wasn’t an exact day that it would appear in the portal but I just wanted to check with you all!

I haven't received an official letter yet either! Since UofA's date to accept/reject an offer by is later than the other schools maybe they're not too worried about getting them done right away? Either way, it would definitely be nice to have, just for the peace of mind! 

1 hour ago, YeSLP said:

Hey, congrats on getting accepted!! I also got accepted to the U of A and have not received the official admission letter yet!!! I know its always nice to check with other people and know they are in the same boat ?

3 hours ago, maroo7 said:

I haven't received an official letter yet either! Since UofA's date to accept/reject an offer by is later than the other schools maybe they're not too worried about getting them done right away? Either way, it would definitely be nice to have, just for the peace of mind! 

what is the deadline to accept/ reject?

4 hours ago, LilWug said:

I shadowed an S-LP who graduated from DAL about 6 years ago, and she said that she was exempt from Phonetics for having taken the course during undergrad. That was a while ago obviously, so I don't know if that's still the case, but there's definitely a history of it!

thanks! I really hope that is still the case, I don't know if I could redo that course