2019 Canadian SLP Thread

4 hours ago, acampbell said:

Did anyone receive any letters other than acceptances from Dal? (waitlisted or rejected??)  

Hi!  I can tell you how it went when I got waitlisted at Dal.  March 10 people started receiving offers spread out over the several days while no one else got any updates. Then people started saying they were waitlisted starting like March 17, again a bit sporadically rather than a big batch of emails going out at once. I got an email offering the waitlist on March 21, and THEN I think people started getting rejected a few days after that. But I'm pretty sure some more people, not a ton but some, got good news after rejections started going out, acceptances or at least waitlist offers. Obviously the timeline is different this year, but the take for me was you just don't know until you know. You can adjust your expectations, but someone's  gotta be the person they finally decide to offer the last available seat to.

My guess is top candidates are easy, the obvious rejections are easy, but the people in the middle take longer and that's why acceptances trickle out over days. Like what says more about the candidate's potential and suitability,  research experience or varied volunteer placements? 300 SLP-related volunteer hours, or 100 SLP-related hours but over a years' experience working with developmentally delayed children or adults with TBI? What about living with a family member who has a communication disorder? How much "better" does a non-applicant need to be to win a seat over the Maritime applicant? ...

12 hours ago, slpleaseletmeintoslp said:

Hey everyone,

I hope I'm not interrupting the peace by asking this question but IS ANYONE ELSE FREAKING OUT? 

Best of luck to all of you deserving people. I know I won't be the only one frantically checking my status at midnight tonight. 

Oh man. I thought it was going to be posted tomorrow!!

My ORPAS isn't showing anything yet.

Just now, SL(ME) said:

So ORPAS posts their decisions at 12am Ontario time? asking because I'm in Alberta ....

Western did! Silence from U of T still.

I figured it was either gonna be midnight or during working hours, like 9 am ET.

I got accepted to Western! My portal doesn't say anything for U of T yet, and from what I've heard they don't necessarily release offers of admission right at midnight. Goodluck everyone!! :) 

26 minutes ago, esslepea said:

Western did! Silence from U of T still.

I figured it was either gonna be midnight or during working hours, like 9 am ET.

Thanks! I just got an email from Western too, but nothing on the ORPAS site (from both UofT and Western)

Edited by SL(ME)

4 minutes ago, CANSLP4ME said:

Does anyone know the current class size of the SLP program at Western? For some reason I cannot seem to locate it on their website

I’m at Western for speech right now, and we’re a class of 52.

I was accepted to Western, it honestly hasn't even hit me yet! I was completely convinced I wasn't getting in, for those waitlisted there is still hope! If anyone else knows they'll be accepting Western, feel free to message me and we can connect! Thinking of everyone still waiting to hear and congrats to those accepted xo 

3 hours ago, LilWug said:

I tried to look into funding options a few days ago, and it seems like they're pretty limited for non-thesis students (I'm in the same situation as you). Apparently there are also merit-based scholarships awarded after the first year of the program, but I am not sure how much those are for (not to mention that banking on having one of the top five GPAs in the program sounds stressful as heck) 

Thanks for sharing! I emailed the grad admin when I got my letter asking about funding opportunities so I’ll let you know if she says anything you haven’t already mentioned. 

I think my first semester I’m just going to try and survive, forget “top 5” ._. I wonder how many cohorts there are in the program though? Seems like there’s quite a few on gradcafe so Dal’s SLP program may be bigger than most grad programs (pure speculation). 

4 hours ago, slpleaseee said:

I was accepted to Western, it honestly hasn't even hit me yet! I was completely convinced I wasn't getting in, for those waitlisted there is still hope! If anyone else knows they'll be accepting Western, feel free to message me and we can connect! Thinking of everyone still waiting to hear and congrats to those accepted xo 

I also got into Western and I feel the same way!!!!! It is honestly such a strange surreal feeling, but I'm also wishing the best of luck to those waitlisted and those waiting on an answer. ❤️