2019 Canadian SLP Thread

16 hours ago, slpfinally said:

For anybody who got into McGill, has your status on uApply changed? 

Yep :) and your official offer pops up on there as well. Mine changed yesterday around 4, I also was called pretty early on the first day they were calling people so they could just have some random list they're going off of in order. You'll get an email saying the status has changed.

3 hours ago, SheLPme said:

Has anyone gotten waitlisted at Mcgill yet?

Not yet, my application status still says "In Review" :) 

38 minutes ago, Origami_Princess said:

Does anyone know if Western has a minimal grade requirement or cut off for the prerequisites? 

Minimum Academic Requirements: 4-year undergraduate degree with a minimum “B” average (3.0 on ORPAS scale) in 10 most recent full undergraduate courses (or 20 half courses)”

Anyone have info on what's happening with McGill? I've had no reply (my status still says in review) and no one on here has mentioned either getting waitlisted or rejected so far. I'm resigned to the fact that it's probably a no for me, but it seems strange that it's taking so long to let anyone know. Thanks! Very grateful for this forum!!

Hi everyone!

I know this is difficult to asses because most universities look at factors other than GPA for admissions, but by any chance, does anyone happen to know what the GPA range was for students admitted to Western or UofT in the past? 

Thanks so much, and good luck to everyone still waiting on results (13 more days for Ontario schools ?)!!

29 minutes ago, Amy Sid said:

Hi everyone!

I know this is difficult to asses because most universities look at factors other than GPA for admissions, but by any chance, does anyone happen to know what the GPA range was for students admitted to Western or UofT in the past? 

Thanks so much, and good luck to everyone still waiting on results (13 more days for Ontario schools ?)!!

Hey there!

I know in the past Western has accepted people from an incoming GPA range of 3.39-4.0. I'd also be interested to find out what Toronto accepts! It's coming up so quick, good luck! :) 

Just now, slpfinally said:

Did you just get your email or did you get it early this morning? I'm curious whether they are sending them throughout the day or all at once. 

The email came at 6:52am (PST) :) 

1 hour ago, slpleaseee said:

Hey there!

I know in the past Western has accepted people from an incoming GPA range of 3.39-4.0. I'd also be interested to find out what Toronto accepts! It's coming up so quick, good luck! :) 

Hey, 

Thanks for your response! I'm assuming that range is the ORPAS calculated sub-GPA for only the final two years, but either way this makes me feel a little more hopeful about my application, it's just a waiting game at this point. I feel like the whole selection process is shrouded in so much secrecy, and you never really know what they're looking for in their applicants. Good luck to you as well, and if you're in school, I hope the rest of your semester goes smoothly ?

5 hours ago, Amy Sid said:

Hi everyone!

I asked Western SLP admission, and they said that typically the average GPA of those accepted is 3.3 – 3.5 and higher. I don't know about Uoft though.

3 minutes ago, Origami_Princess said:

I asked Western SLP admission, and they said that typically the average GPA of those accepted is 3.3 – 3.5 and higher. I don't know about Uoft though.

Hey, thank you so much for your response - it really helps! Yeah as informative as UofT's website can be, they really don't give you much to work with when it comes to the actual selection process or realistic cut-offs. Regardless, I wish you the best of luck, hopefully we'll get some good news soon! ?

37 minutes ago, Amy Sid said:

Hey, thank you so much for your response - it really helps! Yeah as informative as UofT's website can be, they really don't give you much to work with when it comes to the actual selection process or realistic cut-offs. Regardless, I wish you the best of luck, hopefully we'll get some good news soon! ?

Hey! I'm not too much help with this but I know someone in the UofT program who had a 3.72 GPA and someone else who had a 4.0 haha! I've heard a lot of mixed answers about what they value the most: marks or experience. I went to an information session last year and the professors were EXTREMELY secretive about their selection process and wouldn't even answer a ball-park GPA range that they look for. I've heard that the majority of students are between a 3.7 and a 4.0 though so I think grades are really important to them.

Best of luck!!! It's getting so real!

Edited by slpleaseletmeintoslp

22 minutes ago, slpleaseletmeintoslp said:

Hey! I'm not too much help with this but I know someone in the UofT program who had a 3.72 GPA and someone else who had a 4.0 haha! I've heard a lot of mixed answers about what they value the most: marks or experience. I went to an information session last year and the professors were EXTREMELY secretive about their selection process and wouldn't even answer a ball-park GPA range that they look for. I've heard that the majority of students are between a 3.7 and a 4.0 though so I think grades are really important to them.

Best of luck!!! It's getting so real!

Hey!

Thanks for your response! There really is so much variability and as you mentioned, it's hard to tell what factors will end up making a successful applicant. I did notice something on the UofT website that I didn't see earlier:

"Although the minimal requirement for applying to our program requires an average mid-B in the final year of undergraduate level studies, successful applicants typically have an A- average or higher in their last two years of study (i.e., 10 full credits)." 

So in terms of GPA, your range seems to be correct. From reading through the website, they assess based on academics, as well as potential of the applicant for clinical practice. I linked the website where I got this information below, in case you or anyone else is interested. Yes I agree, it's so close now and all we can do now is wait and see what happens! Good luck to you as well ?

This is the website where I got the information from, if you're interested: https://slp.utoronto.ca/admissions/how-to-apply/