2019 Canadian SLP Thread

8 hours ago, 19SPEECHIE said:

This is kind of a random question, but when the final decisions come out in April, if you were to be placed on the wait list, how long could you be on it? 

I’m asking because I got into CDA programs as a back-up for SLP, and I have to confirm those offers/find housing by May 1st. 

Last year I only applied to one school and was put on the waitlist in April. I was offered admission to the program at the end of August (after I had already given up hope and booked a 2 month trip on the other side of the world ?). Although I feel like this was a rare case and that most people would find out way sooner. This year if I'm offered a spot on the waitlist, I won't lose hope or make plans until the programs actually start.

46 minutes ago, Slpeechie said:

Last year I only applied to one school and was put on the waitlist in April. I was offered admission to the program at the end of August (after I had already given up hope and booked a 2 month trip on the other side of the world ?). Although I feel like this was a rare case and that most people would find out way sooner. This year if I'm offered a spot on the waitlist, I won't lose hope or make plans until the programs actually start.

Oh my god! 

Do you mind sharing what school you were waitlisted at? The only school I’m waiting on is Western (only applied to 2 this year). Do either you or does anyone have insight to the waitlist for Western!?

I applied to SLP at McMaster, however I have not been sent an e-mail about an interview offer, waitlist, or rejection. My mosaic status for SLP still says pending but I'm not sure what that means. Does anyone know how i can check my status? Or is it best to call and ask the office tomorrow? For anyone who was waitlisted, I am curious if sGPA was below 3.77?

7 hours ago, ninjaturtle said:

I applied to SLP at McMaster, however I have not been sent an e-mail about an interview offer, waitlist, or rejection. My mosaic status for SLP still says pending but I'm not sure what that means. Does anyone know how i can check my status? Or is it best to call and ask the office tomorrow? For anyone who was waitlisted, I am curious if sGPA was below 3.77?

The cut off for Mac interview this year was a 3.77. I received an interview after being on the waitlist and my subgpa is a 3.76.

4 hours ago, SLPapplicant123 said:

A little hope for those of you who didn't get an interview at McMaster - I didn't last year either but got accepted directly to another school. Programs weigh things differently so try not to put yourself down too much!

Where are you now SLPapplicant123? 

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently an 2nd year undergraduate student and I recently changed my direction towards SLP. I have completed some linguistics and psychology courses. Furthermore, I have worked in an daycare setting, tutoring young children and currently working with an SLP. My question to you all is, how much does your CGPA matter? My first year at university was horrible, I was unsure of what I want to pursue and had taken business and math courses that have really screwed up my GPA. Do grad schools look at this, would any of you advise to retake such classes? I'm nervous my GPA won't be as high when applying. Would they notice the large discrepancy between my SubGPA and CGPA?  Any advice would be helpful guys!

Good luck to everyone applying this year, you have all worked so hard for this. :)

Hello! 

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything regarding acceptance/rejection from Dal this year? I got confirmation that all my documents had been received at the end of January, but was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about actual acceptance or rejection. Or if anyone knows when people typically hear from Dal. 

Edited by BAM14

15 hours ago, BAM14 said:

Hello! 

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything regarding acceptance/rejection from Dal this year? I got confirmation that all my documents had been received at the end of January, but was just wondering if anyone has heard anything about actual acceptance or rejection. Or if anyone knows when people typically hear from Dal. 

Looks like last year the first acceptances were sent out Mar 7th! Hopefully in the coming week?

Hi guys! 

Just wondering if anyone who got into DAL last year would be willing to share their stats? I've a lot of different information regarding how they weigh the components of applications! 

Thanks!!

2 hours ago, sm2572 said:

Hi guys! 

Just wondering if anyone who got into DAL last year would be willing to share their stats? I've a lot of different information regarding how they weigh the components of applications! 

Thanks!!

Have you heard anything back from Dal yet??

On 3/4/2019 at 10:24 PM, BAM14 said:

Hello! 

Last year I received a letter in the mail saying I was waitlisted for Dal on March 13th. So I'm hoping we will hear any day now!

1 hour ago, slp.dreamer said:

Last year I received a letter in the mail saying I was waitlisted for Dal on March 13th. So I'm hoping we will hear any day now!

Thanks for letting me know @slp.dreamer! It would be so nice to know this week! Did you get an email too? I find it confusing how some people get letters mailed while others get emails. 

Hey everyone! I’ve been reading this thread for a while and I finally decided to contribute. This is my first year applying to speech! I applied at UofA and McGill. Do you think McGill will start contacting people this week? ?