2019 Canadian SLP Thread

Hey guys! I had a question for those applying to U of A this year. My application cycle isn't until next year, and I was planning on taking the Indigenous Canada MOOC over the spring/summer. Does anyone know the cost for this course? I couldn't find it on the website, but knowing me, it's there somewhere and I'm just completely missing it, lol.

16 hours ago, SLP2B_95 said:

Hey! Goodluck my friend! Here’s hoping we both get accepted :) UAlberta is my first choice. 

Yes, good luck to you too! I emailed last year, and they mentioned that for 2018 they only had four indigenous applicants, so I think the odds are pretty good :) 

Edited by SpruceTree

3 hours ago, whalezie said:

Hey guys! I had a question for those applying to U of A this year. My application cycle isn't until next year, and I was planning on taking the Indigenous Canada MOOC over the spring/summer. Does anyone know the cost for this course? I couldn't find it on the website, but knowing me, it's there somewhere and I'm just completely missing it, lol.

I don't know where it is listed on the website, but I took it last summer and it was $62 for the certificate. Hope that helps!

22 minutes ago, SpruceTree said:

I don't know where it is listed on the website, but I took it last summer and it was $62 for the certificate. Hope that helps!

Awesome, thanks!! There was no equivalent course at my university according to U of A's website so I was afraid the MOOC would be expensive. Turns out it is actually cheaper, phew! 

20 hours ago, speechie_3423 said:

Does anyone know when UBC usually starts sending out offers?

In previous years they sent them out in the 3rd - 4th week of March so I'm assuming it'll be around a similar time this year as well!

Does anyone know any admission stats from last year? At Western open house they told me they have an 11% acceptance rate but I'm not how many typically apply, just trying to stay hopeful!

Edited by slpleaseee

2 hours ago, slpleaseee said:

Does anyone know any admission stats from last year? At Western open house they told me they have an 11% acceptance rate but I'm not how many typically apply, just trying to stay hopeful!

I found some information about the 2018 applicant pool on the ORPAS website. For McMaster, there were 483 applicants and 32 positions (6.6% acceptance rate). For Western, there were 426 applicants and 50 positions (11.7% acceptance rate). For Toronto, there were 289 applicants and 60 positions (20.8% acceptance rate).

Good luck!

Edited by Slpeechie

On 2/13/2019 at 10:31 PM, SLPwannabe! said:

Hey everyone! Best of luck to each and every one of you! 

This is my 3rd year applying but my 1st year applying to schools other than ualberta. This year I'm applying to ualberta as well as Western, McMaster, McGill, and Dalhousie. 

I'm curious about Dalhousie - do they mail a letter of acceptance/rejection or is it via email? And when do offers typically go out for them? I couldnt find this info on their website.

Thank you in advance!

Hi!! I'm in first year at Dal this year but in the audio program. Everything for me was done by email but I have heard a few classmates talk about getting phone calls. The first email I got last year was on March 7th saying that they were recommending admission to the program but then it gets sent off to the Faculty of Graduate Studies for approval. The second email confirming my acceptance came about a week later. 

Hope this helps :) 

9 hours ago, Slpeechie said:

I found some information about the 2018 applicant pool on the ORPAS website. For McMaster, there were 483 applicants and 32 positions (6.6% acceptance rate). For Western, there were 426 applicants and 50 positions (11.7% acceptance rate). For Toronto, there were 289 applicants and 60 positions (20.8% acceptance rate).

Good luck!

Does anyone know why there are so few applicants to Toronto compared to Western? (Not that I'm complaining haha) I could see why McMaster has the most because their application process seems to be less work (at least until the interviews), but Toronto and Western seem pretty comparable.

15 hours ago, /spiʧ nɚd/ said:

Does anyone know why there are so few applicants to Toronto compared to Western? (Not that I'm complaining haha) I could see why McMaster has the most because their application process seems to be less work (at least until the interviews), but Toronto and Western seem pretty comparable.

I personally didn't apply to Toronto because I couldn't complete all their pre-reqs at my school, so maybe that was the case for quite a few people? 

On another note: to everyone who applied to Alberta, what's your status on the applicant portal? Mine says "pre-screening" and I'm a little worried because there were some issues with some of my documents and I'm worried they didn't upload properly. ?

2 minutes ago, maroo7 said:

I personally didn't apply to Toronto because I couldn't complete all their pre-reqs at my school, so maybe that was the case for quite a few people? 

On another note: to everyone who applied to Alberta, what's your status on the applicant portal? Mine says "pre-screening" and I'm a little worried because there were some issues with some of my documents and I'm worried they didn't upload properly. ?

My applicant portal says pre-screening for Alberta as well. Yesterday I called asking when they will be sending out acceptance offers, and they said they haven't even started to look at applications yet. So that's probably why it still says pre-screening. They also said they will send out offers in April (which is much later than last year because people started getting offers at the end of February).

2 hours ago, Slpeechie said:

My applicant portal says pre-screening for Alberta as well. Yesterday I called asking when they will be sending out acceptance offers, and they said they haven't even started to look at applications yet. So that's probably why it still says pre-screening. They also said they will send out offers in April (which is much later than last year because people started getting offers at the end of February).

? not exactly good news, but thank you for calling to ask! 

On 2/16/2019 at 5:38 PM, Slpeechie said:

Does anyone know when the U of A typically starts sending out acceptances? I couldn't find it on their website and it would be nice to know an expected timeframe. 

Thanks!

Last year I think I was in the first batch to hear back and that was on Feb. 25. 

4 hours ago, Slpeechie said:

There are a lot of interviews going on in the department right now (for the Chair of the SLP department) and we got a new Associate Chair for Rehab Med just a few weeks ago, so that might be why.

1 hour ago, r.jay said:

Hi there,

Has anyone received any offers for the MMI at McMaster that is coming up soon? Also, there isn't many details about the format of the MMI, but was wondering if anyone had any information about it?

Thanks!

I'm not too sure about the format of the MMI, I believe there are 8 stations (this number could be wrong) and you spend 10 mins at each station with two minutes between each rotation. I also think someone told me that the interview at each is different in terms of oral answers, written answers, skill testing etc. Pretty sure we find on March 1st, so this Friday if we have been selected for an interview!

Hope this helps a little, good luck!!

On 2/22/2019 at 5:33 PM, 19SPEECHIE said:

Does anyone know when we get emails from Western about our student numbers/activating an account (similar to the one we got from Mac?)

I just received my login info for Western 3 minutes ago (2:10pm on Feb 27)!