2019 Canadian SLP Thread

Just now, slpleaseletmeintoslp said:

Am I the only one who has heard NOTHING from UofT? I’m getting concerned.

I’m in the same boat...I think they’re slowly making their way through applicant notifications

1 minute ago, slpmb! said:

I found out this morning that I got accepted into Western and U of T! :) Does anyone know the tuition costs for these schools? Are they all pretty comparable across the board? 

Hey, did you receive an email from UofT, or just the notification from ORPAS? Congrats btw :)

Just now, theitsybitsySLP said:

Hey, did you receive an email from UofT, or just the notification from ORPAS? Congrats btw :)

Thanks! :)  so far I just have an offer notice on the ORPAS choices/ offer page. I didn't receive any sort of notification from the schools, I just kept checking the ORPAS website lol 

1 hour ago, DreamingofSpeech said:

First time applicant here.. and as of 2 minutes ago just received my third rejection. Not all that surprised (I considered not even applying this year for fear that this might happen) but still devastated if I'm being completely honest. Hardest part is now having to face everybody that heard me go on and on about applications and schools and say I wasn't even waitlisted. I'm finishing up this last year as strong as possible and looking forward to a much improved application next year. Just want to say congrats to anyone here with good news and thanks to all of you that offer kind words and support to the rest of us. xoxo

Its my second year applying, so far no acceptances anywhere, and I was worried about the same thing last year but its so so normal to be applying more than once to a program as competitive as this one! Even learning to navigate the application process is a win and will put you ahead for next year, keep going you got this!! 

2 minutes ago, SL(ME) said:

Its my second year applying, so far no acceptances anywhere, and I was worried about the same thing last year but its so so normal to be applying more than once to a program as competitive as this one! Even learning to navigate the application process is a win and will put you ahead for next year, keep going you got this!! 

When applying again, did you take more courses to boost your GPA further? Were you able to get any funding to pay for the extra courses after graduating, or did you have the money? Unfortunately because the grades that brought down my sub-GPA are in the "middle" of my last 20 courses, I would need to take 9 additional courses to kick those 3 courses out of my last 20. But I can't find any funding for taking courses after you've graduated! So I'm wondering what are some of the ways that you guys who have applied more than once have been able to arrange your life to be able to take additional courses to boost your GPA?

12 minutes ago, westernhopeful2 said:

For those on the wait list at Western, does anyone know what the difference is between wait list offer and wait list accepted?

I also applied to Western for education, when admissions came out for this program we were offered the choice to decline or accept the waitlist offer. Once the waitlist offer was accepted the status of the application changed to waitlist accepted. I'm assuming that for these SLP applications they just skipped the step where you can decline or accept your waitlist offer.

1 hour ago, SLPme said:

When applying again, did you take more courses to boost your GPA further? Were you able to get any funding to pay for the extra courses after graduating, or did you have the money? Unfortunately because the grades that brought down my sub-GPA are in the "middle" of my last 20 courses, I would need to take 9 additional courses to kick those 3 courses out of my last 20. But I can't find any funding for taking courses after you've graduated! So I'm wondering what are some of the ways that you guys who have applied more than once have been able to arrange your life to be able to take additional courses to boost your GPA?

I know it seems un-doable, but I actually took 10 courses between last year's admission cycle and the end of this fall semester and boosted my sub GPA from 3.45 to 3.71. I took five courses at Athabasca University in Alberta, and I took 4 courses throughout summer and fall semester through U of A. It definitely helped my application as this year I am wait listed at U of A and Western when last year I got rejected everywhere. I'm not going to lie, I pretty much had to put my life on hold and only work part time and spend most of my days studying to achieve all A's in the 11 courses I was taking. But it definitely paid off :)I hope this helps!

Edited by Salsouqi

4 minutes ago, slp.slp said:

I also applied to Western for education, when admissions came out for this program we were offered the choice to decline or accept the waitlist offer. Once the waitlist offer was accepted the status of the application changed to waitlist accepted. I'm assuming that for these SLP applications they just skipped the step where you can decline or accept your waitlist offer.

Ohh ok great thanks!

47 minutes ago, SLPme said:

are you currently in your last year? because I ended up doing better in my last semester and that boosted me up a little bit. I also took two extra courses (one a prerequisite and another an option).  I wish I had taken more because my GPA is still not great but its super hard to motivate once you've graduated and I paid for the courses myself. Generally it's hard to find undergrad funding past third year, you could consider delaying graduation so you can stay at your own school though. You could also look into volunteering or work opportunities that are really relevant to the field. 

Personally my GPA was "tainted" in the winter semester of my third year so I still haven't been able to erase that mark, but I just tried to make myself as well rounded as possible. Hope that helps, wishing you all the best of luck! 

2 hours ago, Speechpathstudent said:

Hi! I was also accepted to Alberta and Ottawa, congrats! (Still waiting on UBC)

I was just wondering what direction you’re leaning toward? I love the idea of doing the program in French and I love the city of Ottawa, however it seems like UofA’s program is more developed and has a lot of great opportunities.

Just wondering what your thoughts were!

Congrats!!! I think I am leaning towards Ottawa since its bilingual, but it's also closer to home since I grew up in Montreal. I wanna hear from current/former grads from Alberta to get a better idea though!

Just received an acceptance email for U of T! It's not showing up on ORPAS yet so keep an eye on your email! I'll be dropping off the Western waitlist so hopefully that makes the list shorter for some. Congrats everyone and good luck to those still waiting!

2 hours ago, Salsouqi said:

Hey guys, 

I've created a Canadian SLP Declining Offers Thread 2019 for those of us still on the wait list. The participation of those who have been accepted and will be declining offers is much appreciated! 

1 Is there anything I should do to tell Western that I am interested in being on the waitlist? Is there any way to accept the waitlist?

2) ALSO they said they would begin calling waitlist people in late April if any spaces become available. Anyone have an idea/previous experience with what exactlyy they mean by late April? Is it at all possible that they could contact us this week or next week?

Edited by SLPme

Just now, SLPme said:

Is there anything I should do to tell Western that I am interested in being on the waitlist? Is there any way to accept the waitlist?

I don't think so. If I understood correctly, the email stated we are already on the wait list. and if a spot becomes available for you they'll call you to see if you want to take it.