2019 Canadian SLP Thread

I was accepted at Western but not even offered a waitlist position at U of T. I also not receive waitlist for a McMaster interview. It must have been very competitive this year! Congrats to those accepted and good luck to those on the waitlist!

Edited by slpleaseee

First time applicant here.. and as of 2 minutes ago just received my third rejection. Not all that surprised (I considered not even applying this year for fear that this might happen) but still devastated if I'm being completely honest. Hardest part is now having to face everybody that heard me go on and on about applications and schools and say I wasn't even waitlisted. I'm finishing up this last year as strong as possible and looking forward to a much improved application next year. Just want to say congrats to anyone here with good news and thanks to all of you that offer kind words and support to the rest of us. xoxo

Edited by DreamingofSpeech

Are there people still waiting on U ofT? I have yet to hear ANYTHING from them (not even an acknowledgement of application?!)??

Just now, rleeyh said:

Are there people still waiting on U ofT? I have yet to hear ANYTHING from them (not even an acknowledgement of application?!)??

I haven't heard anything either. I'm pretty anxious as only one person on the forum has received an acceptance and everyone else is getting rejection emails.

Just now, YaySLP! said:

I haven't heard anything either. I'm pretty anxious as only one person on the forum has received an acceptance and everyone else is getting rejection emails.

Agh...best of luck to you! This is possibly the most nerve wracking day of my life. 

1 minute ago, rleeyh said:

Just now, YaySLP! said:

I haven't heard anything either... getting very nervous! Do you think they're contacting the applicants alphabetically? My last name starts with a W.

8 minutes ago, DreamingofSpeech said:

First time applicant here.. and as of 2 minutes ago just received my third rejection. Not all that surprised (I considered not even applying this year for fear that this might happen) but still devastated if I'm being completely honest. Hardest part is now having to face everybody that heard me go on and on about applications and schools and say I wasn't even waitlisted. I'm finishing up this last year as strong as possible and looking forward to a much improved application next year. Just want to say congrats to anyone here with good news and thanks to all of you that offer kind words and support to the rest of us. xoxo

Goodluck next year! It pays off to improve your application. I was in the same boat last year with 4 rejections and this year I'm waitlisted at 2/4. So it definitely pays off :)

Just now, SingingSpeechie said:

I haven't heard anything either... getting very nervous! Do you think they're contacting the applicants alphabetically? My last name starts with a W.

Not sure. If they are I will definitely be at the end as well. It's a bit strange that they would update some people who were accepted then pause to send out rejection emails?

Just now, SingingSpeechie said:

I feel like that is a very real possibility. Sending y'all good vibes, we can get through this crazy day!

1 hour ago, _SLP_2019 said:

Hello!

I was accepted to Alberta and Ottawa, waitlisted at Western. I am still waiting to hear back from Dal.

I'd be curious to talk to current grad students at Alberta and Ottawa!

Congrats to everyone who got in/got waitlisted and good luck to everyone still waiting on news!

Hi! I was also accepted to Alberta and Ottawa, congrats! (Still waiting on UBC)

I was just wondering what direction you’re leaning toward? I love the idea of doing the program in French and I love the city of Ottawa, however it seems like UofA’s program is more developed and has a lot of great opportunities.

Just wondering what your thoughts were!

13 minutes ago, DreamingofSpeech said:

Rejection is definitely hard (whether or not it was anticipated; I went through that last year!). 

Best of luck next year on applications! Taking a year to work on my CV/application DEFINITELY helped me & gave me a chance to grow :). Never give up if it's truly your dream~ 

3 hours ago, doubleyou said:

Just got the official email: I've been waitlisted at McMaster! Would be great to know if anyone is turning down their Mac acceptance (or won't be taking their place on the waitlist). Thanks, and good luck everyone!

I will be turning down my Mac acceptance and accepting my offer to attend U of A! Best of luck to you and those who are still waiting to hear back!! :) 

34 minutes ago, rleeyh said:

I just received an email from U of T notifying me that I'm on the waitlist. Nothing on ORPAS though! Best of luck to you, I know how hard it is to sit and wait.

43 minutes ago, Salsouqi said:

I hear you. Feeling very discouraged, but trying to stay hopeful as I am waitlisted at Western and U of A. Are you wait listed anywhere?

I'm not wait listed anywhere. I applied to McGill and U of T, rejected from both. I don't even know where to go from here because a lot of U of T's prereqs are now invalid in the 2020 application cycle, so I'll have to retake some courses to satisfy the bureaucracy of applications. I'll have to do the GRE so I can apply to more schools, and have to take the required Indigenous Canadian History course for U of A, and the AUDI courses for UBC... Does anyone else feel like they're in a constant uphill battle against poor 1rst and 2nd year undergrad grades?

5 minutes ago, SSSLLLPPP said:

I'm not wait listed anywhere. I applied to McGill and U of T, rejected from both. I don't even know where to go from here because a lot of U of T's prereqs are now invalid in the 2020 application cycle, so I'll have to retake some courses to satisfy the bureaucracy of applications. I'll have to do the GRE so I can apply to more schools, and have to take the required Indigenous Canadian History course for U of A, and the AUDI courses for UBC... Does anyone else feel like they're in a constant uphill battle against poor 1rst and 2nd year undergrad grades?

I felt like that throughout my entire last 2 years of undergraduate preparation. It's very discouraging. The nice thing about U of A's Indigenous Canada is that it is a self-paced certificate course, I completed it in less than a month and it was only about $40 to register. I told myself that if I didn't get in this year I'd keep trying again and again until I got in, because I know 100% that this is what I want to do and I'm sure you feel the same way. Keep going, it will pay off in the end ❤️

13 minutes ago, SSSLLLPPP said:

YES. I extended graduation to save some money on taking all the extra courses, and it's especially frustrating because I've had to take several courses for just ONE of the programs. I also have courses expiring so I guess I'll have to start again with more prerequisites (and intro prerequisites to some of those prerequisites). Also, the average they used from my third year is what killed by Sub-GPA to I'm trying to get rid of that year completely...

Edited by DreamingofSpeech

Congrats to everyone who has received an acceptance letter or a waitlist position so far! I have been accepted to U of T, Western, and Mac. I haven't yet decided where to accept yet, but there will be two spots opening for anyone who is on the waitlist! We should all be very proud of ourselves, despite the outcome. Speaking from experience, I know how competitive this field is to get into (I was rejected from all schools that I applied to in previous years, so I know how upsetting rejection letters are). I was also rejected from McGill this year and still haven't heard anything back from Dal. Who even knows what schools look for in an applicant!!

There are a million and one things to do from now until next year's application cycle that you can do to put yourself ahead of the game. Stay strong future SLPs :)