2019 Canadian SLP Thread

For anyone who has applied in previous years and was waitlisted:

If haven’t heard anything from Western yet about being accepted off the waitlist, what are my chances of receiving that call?

I’m starting to get discouraged, especially because it seems like so many people on this forum are rejected their offers to Western. I know they technically can call you throughout the summer, since people might pull their offer at the last minute, etc., but how do you deal with the waiting!? 

Thank you!

Hello!

I got my call from Western on Thursday and I am soooo excited! This was my second year applying. I was waitlisted at Western last year as well but ultimately did not receive an offer so to get one this year is such a dream come true! 

I was wondering if anyone else was still unable to see their offer on ORPAS? I know Janet said it would take a couple days but I just want to make sure. 

Also - is there a Western facebook group yet? I would love to connect with everyone! 

49 minutes ago, SLPapplicant6 said:

Hello!

I got my call from Western on Thursday and I am soooo excited! This was my second year applying. I was waitlisted at Western last year as well but ultimately did not receive an offer so to get one this year is such a dream come true! 

I was wondering if anyone else was still unable to see their offer on ORPAS? I know Janet said it would take a couple days but I just want to make sure. 

Also - is there a Western facebook group yet? I would love to connect with everyone! 

Congrats! Would you mind PMing me your stats? :)

5 hours ago, SLPapplicant6 said:

Hello!

Congrats on getting accepted on Thursday! I also got accepted on Thursday and my offer hasn't appeared on ORPAS today either, so hopefully they show up for us tomorrow and then things will be more official! 

I would also love to know if there is a facebook group for Western!!

9 hours ago, SLPapplicant6 said:

Hello!

Could you also PM me your stats? :) thanks! 

On 4/17/2019 at 12:24 AM, anonymous64 said:

Hi, to those who got into UBC, how much research experience did you guys have? And how involved were you in research projects (E.g. did you publish a paper, etc.)? 

Thanks

I honestly did not have much research experience at all. The extent of my research experience was this small scale research project that I had to do for a upper level class. I talked about that in my LOI as well as the areas of SLP that I’d be interested in potentially researching and I think my other volunteer experience made up for it. I volunteered at an acoustics conference and one of my professors that wrote my reference letter was aware of that, so I think she may have mentioned that as well (and I had that on my resume also). 

49 minutes ago, sherblunking said:

For those accepted off of U of T's waitlist (I was accepted yesterday), how long did it take to show up on ORPAS? Did you get an email from U of T?

I haven't received an email but when they called yesterday they said that an offer should appear on ORPAS tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, SLPreach said:

I haven't received an email but when they called yesterday they said that an offer should appear on ORPAS tomorrow. 

Did they also say we'll be receiving an email with an official offer? I was taken off yesterday and it feels unreal!!!! So much to the point where I think I may have been hallucinating and now I'm nervous that I didn't get in so I want email confirmation haha  

9 minutes ago, slpfinally said:

Did they also say we'll be receiving an email with an official offer? I was taken off yesterday and it feels unreal!!!! So much to the point where I think I may have been hallucinating and now I'm nervous that I didn't get in so I want email confirmation haha  

I just emailed them and they said that they would send out an offer by email but that we should still check ORPAS!

On 4/25/2019 at 11:02 AM, whalezie said:

For those of you who took statistics courses for McGill, Western, U of T, and U of A, around what grade did you receive? 

A- :) 

On 4/25/2019 at 11:02 AM, whalezie said:

For those of you who took statistics courses for McGill, Western, U of T, and U of A, around what grade did you receive? 

I received a 90 (B+) which probably hindered my applications. 

18 hours ago, Slpeechie said:

I received a 90 (B+) which probably hindered my applications.

Holy cow, a 90 equates to a B+ for you? Wouldn't that be converted to each school's grading scale? 

3 hours ago, 19SPEECHIE said:

I just got my call from Western this morning offering me a spot for admission! 

To those of you still waitlisted, there is still hope!!! 

YAY congrats! 

12 hours ago, SLP123PLEASE said:

For those who got a call from Western, what time did they contact you? and was it just by telephone or also email. Congrats to all those who got in :) 

My call came around 11am. I missed the call so Janet left a voicemail. Since she left the voicemail she also emailed me just to let me know (in case I was unable to check my messages). :)

3 hours ago, 19SPEECHIE said:

My call came around 11am. I missed the call so Janet left a voicemail. Since she left the voicemail she also emailed me just to let me know (in case I was unable to check my messages). :)

Thank you for the reply! Do you mind sending me your Stats? I'm also on the waitlist and just want to see how my chances are.