Fall 2019 Social Psychology Applicant Thread

petitebiscuit

Just now, psychisfun said:

I'm the poster! It's a skype interview invite from the POI

Mind sharing the initials of your POI and if you know if social psych is done inviting for interviews? ?

Is it too late after the applications are submitted to reach out to the POIs individually?  I didn't do it before and now I'm wondering if I shot myself in the foot.  Should I still do this?

My interest is in moral psych.  I applied what feels like everywhere LOL.

Cornell, UNC, U Pitt, Penn State, Yale, Syracuse, U Minn, WashU St. Louis, UIUC, Michigan State, Temple, Lehigh, Texas A&M, U Texas Austin.  Please God, someone take me ?.

20 minutes ago, GingerC said:

Is it too late after the applications are submitted to reach out to the POIs individually?  I didn't do it before and now I'm wondering if I shot myself in the foot.  Should I still do this?

I say wait to hear from them now that you've submitted your apps.

The main benefit I got from emailing them individually (before submitting) was finding out several of my top choices were not taking students -I'm looking at you, Northwestern!-, but now that they are going to be reviewing apps they will contact you soon.

Soooo all the other psych programs are posting results in droves.. only a matter of time for us, right? :D 

(Off topic) I just finished my last paper of my bachelor's degree program! Now, beside working full time, I have nothing to do except hold my breath for interviews and IRB approval for an experiment I'm supposed to present at SPSP in two months! Send help.

15 hours ago, smbtuckma said:

Just giving you guys a heads up, from a current grad - UCLA Social Psych should be finishing up their interview invites this week or early next! 

Oooh this is good info. Always helps having an insider. Thank you! I know not to wait in anticipation if i dont hear anything next week hahah

1 hour ago, Psyhopeful said:

If anyone applied to Colorado - Boulder, they seem to be reviewing. I got an email Thursday asking for a transcript from a certificate program I attended.

Here’s to both of us getting a phone call soon. Which program did you apply to there, the social program or the social neuroscience program? And who were your POIs? I applied to Ito, Van Boven, and Park.

On 12/12/2018 at 2:24 PM, GingerC said:

Cornell, UNC, U Pitt, Penn State, Yale, Syracuse, U Minn, Washington St. Louis, UIUC, Michigan State, Temple, Lehigh, Texas A&M, U Texas Austin.  Please God, someone take me ?.

Hi, friend. Wanna exchange POIs over PM?

On 12/12/2018 at 9:24 PM, GingerC said:

Cornell, UNC, U Pitt, Penn State, Yale, Syracuse, U Minn, Washington St. Louis, UIUC, Michigan State, Temple, Lehigh, Texas A&M, U Texas Austin.  Please God, someone take me ?.

I also applied to WUSTL, who were your POIs? I applied to Lambert and Wilkins. 

If anyone has applied to UVa - they may take some time because they're hiring a new faculty member and most likely will try to get students who may also be interested in working with this person [they're pretty big on working with multiple people in the area]; but not clear yet who it will be.

8 hours ago, Psygeek said:

If anyone has applied to UVa - they may take some time because they're hiring a new faculty member and most likely will try to get students who may also be interested in working with this person [they're pretty big on working with multiple people in the area]; but not clear yet who it will be.

That’s good news. After I applied, my main POI responded to my initial email to say they were moving on from my research interest, so I figured I was out.

22 hours ago, HAC said:

Here’s to both of us getting a phone call soon. Which program did you apply to there, the social program or the social neuroscience program? And who were your POIs? I applied to Ito, Van Boven, and Park.

I applied to social, but the best fit for me is not taking students this year, so my hopes aren’t high.