DrPH Applicants Fall 2019

pakiprincess

14 minutes ago, Jay1 said:

I didn't find you to be pessimistic or insensitive and totally got the (nervous) "Haha" in your previous post.

I wanted to touch on this theme of optimism and hope and it being such a prized thing in public health. I'm in my 10th year post-MPH (I've been meaning to apply every year since like 2012). I've been working in a SBCC (social and behaviour change communication) job I adore (and also have dreaded leaving, adding to my procrastinating about applying since 2012.). All this to say, maybe it's just me,  I find the real world public health space a lot more cynical and pessimistic than the one that exists in Schools of Public Health (caveat I'm not American and work outside of America- maybe things are different if you have strong health systems). I find it often feels very 1 step forward, (being extremely generous) half a step back and that the MPH as a practical degree doesn't prepare you for the harsher realities (especially in social and behavioural areas) of what working in public health really is like especially as you grow in responsibility and get into the leadership and holistic management-y parts of it. I think optimism and hope are good and essential to finding fulfillment in your work, but I don't think they're to me the most important thing I'm looking for in a program or the markers of success- especially a practical program. I got a lot of hope and optimism and inspiration in my MPH. In a public health leadership degree like a DrPH, I'm looking for faculty with a realistic approach to the realities of public health practice and qualities like resilience, human-centered research methods, useful and practicable implementation sciences approaches etc, because the struggle in the actual public health practice world is real and leadership within it is not easy and the problems are complex and don't always color within the lines that SPHs set. And if what you're bringing to the ring to face those challenges  as a leader is optimism and hope, it's easy to get crushed. I've rarely met people involved in public health practice who don't have a healthy dash of cynicism and side eye to spare, they just counter it with resilience and creative problem-solving and a can-do/must do attitude, and hopefully hope and optimism.

Then again, take me with a pinch of salt. I'm still only waitlisted and already focused on Application Cycle 2020. It is entirely possible I was missing a dash of optimism and hope.

I TOTALLY agree with this entire post! Within my MPH program we were taught the same thing, extreme optimism -- we will change the world, BUT no one taught me about the red tape, politics, and how incredibly disheartening our field can be! Especially if you are working with marginalized communities and you want to see them have access to the same things other communities have, just to hear a big fat "thank you for your input, but no." To even further drive home your point, DrPH degrees with a focus in leadership is rather new; therefore, we have people within in Leadership positions across the world that do not have a background in Public Health and do not fully understand the need for it to create evidence based prevention techniques, resiliency and social justice. We can never lose hope, but a dash of cynicism helps deal with the hurdles we have to jump every single day. 

Also, thank you for understand my nervous "haha" because that's exactly what it was -- a nervous chuckle. 

Edited by sarcasmandcoffee7
Typo

4 hours ago, Baylis said:

Would you mind sharing your stats? I'm hoping to apply for the Hopkins Implementation science program at some point. I have a co-workers whose application looks very similar to mine, that did not get in this year. So I'd love to see what kind of candidate is a good match for them. 

Hi Baylis, I applied to Implementation Science last year and was rejected. This year I applied to HPM (leadership) and was accepted... it has very few track requirements and I intend to take implementation and informatics courses for my electives. It seems it might be a less competitive track? 

23 minutes ago, brittany18 said:

Hi Baylis, I applied to Implementation Science last year and was rejected. This year I applied to HPM (leadership) and was accepted... it has very few track requirements and I intend to take implementation and informatics courses for my electives. It seems it might be a less competitive track? 

Interesting. Hmmmm. When I was talking with the HPM admissions folks, they told me HCML was one of the more competitive subtracks. If I recall correctly, now that I'm thinking about it, they said IS can be pretty competitive too.

40 minutes ago, Late_Bloomer said:

I'm still waiting to hear from UIC but I'm thinking about plan B just in case.  I'm new at this so can anyone offer any advice for reapplying? Who to talk to, re-writing personal statement, etc.

I understand the stress you are feeling, and thinking about Plan B is always a good idea! I would say to find potential mentors you want to work for and under. Your mentor relationship can make or break your program for you. Not only look at schools, but also start looking at professors who are researching subjects you are passionate about. Then reaching out to them to see if they are taking potential students, and interview them. Are they a good fit for you? Does your research interest align? Do they have the same passions as you? Can you REALLY learn something from them outside of the classroom. Then, you can mention them within your Personal Statement. This will give your PS an actual face to the paper, not just another application. Also, get as much experience as you can. Are there organizations or coalitions within your community you can sit on, go to conferences and learn as much as you can to hone your skills, etc. You've got this! 

3 hours ago, TopofthemuffinTOYOU said:

To the poster above RE: Implementation Science, I know my application was being kicked between HPM-Quality/Safety and Implementation Science, and I ended up getting accepted to the HPM-Quality/Safety track (I called admissions today to ask where I ended up). I don't know if that's because IS was more competitive, or because I was a better fit for HPM-Q/S.

Is anyone else admitted to Hopkins DrPH for HPM - Quality/Safety?

I was admitted to JHU HPM Quality/Safety. I’m really excited because that is where I focus a lot of my work now and I also teach quality improvement to clinicians at an academic medical center. @TopofthemuffinTOYOU I’ve seen you post about your research and it seems very interesting. I’m looking forward to meeting and learning with you in the coming years! 

Rachel 

Long time lurker, first time poster signing in to say that I was also rejected from Hopkins DrPH in implementation science :-(. Honestly, I was a little surprised because I felt like this program would be a perfect fit. Anyway, one additional data point to support the hypothesis that implementation science is hard to get into. Many congratulations to those of you who did get in and good luck to those on the wait list!

5 hours ago, Late_Bloomer said:

I'm still waiting to hear from UIC but I'm thinking about plan B just in case.  I'm new at this so can anyone offer any advice for reapplying? Who to talk to, re-writing personal statement, etc.

This is anecdotal on what's changed for me since last year, so I can't promise what specifically made the difference, but hopefully this is helpful for those waitlisted/future lurkers who are planning their applications...

• I happened to have started a new job (this wasn't intentional) so I was able to easily expand my skill set in the new position.
  • I revised my personal statement to reflect my new responsibilities, and tried to clarify what I wanted to get out of the degree, how it could affect my current work, and my ultimate career goals. I tried to emphasize how I can contribute to the school, i.e. what I bring to the table.
  • I also connected with several professors at the school, to understand how they may be able to help support me in my prospective dissertation.
  • I also reached out to current and past students to understand more about their experience and how the schools pitch themselves.
  • I definitely encourage you to get at least one new recommendation letter, you can also try for a letter of support from those professors.
  • I'd also make sure the language in your resume matches the language the program uses in how they describe desirable candidates. 

22 hours ago, Jay1 said:

I just told them that I'd seen the waitlist notification on the portal but never received the promised email explaining how it worked, and then I asked about how the waitlist works i.e. if it is ranked and if so, was it possible to find out my standing, what the typical chances were of transitioning from waitlist to an offer of admission, and when I could expect to get a final decision on my application. 

At this point, I imagine the lot of us in the waitlist or even admitted camps are badgering away. There's probably no harm in asking. Maybe you could call them and leave less of a trace (?  ) that way...  I think working in admissions, they must be used to this time of year and all the questions. I'm still waiting for my email response so maybe I should pay the international rates and just call them as well.

Oh you're an international applicant as well! Yeah I've been putting off calling them because I figured if I am going to get rejected I don't want to inquire about it myself. But thank you for reassuring me that I'm not alone! I hope we all get some answers sooner rather than later!

On 3/14/2019 at 2:28 PM, fingerscrossed19 said:

Oh you're an international applicant as well! Yeah I've been putting off calling them because I figured if I am going to get rejected I don't want to inquire about it myself. But thank you for reassuring me that I'm not alone! I hope we all get some answers sooner rather than later!

Yup I'm international as well! Hopefully we hear back soon.

21 hours ago, sheisgreat said:

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone here applied to the DrPh program directly after their MPH program, without much work experience? 

Yes, I did. I applied with ~2 years of work experience, completed my MPH in 2016.

On 3/13/2019 at 3:30 PM, brittany18 said:

This is anecdotal on what's changed for me since last year, so I can't promise what specifically made the difference, but hopefully this is helpful for those waitlisted/future lurkers who are planning their applications...

• I happened to have started a new job (this wasn't intentional) so I was able to easily expand my skill set in the new position.
  • I revised my personal statement to reflect my new responsibilities, and tried to clarify what I wanted to get out of the degree, how it could affect my current work, and my ultimate career goals. I tried to emphasize how I can contribute to the school, i.e. what I bring to the table.
  • I also connected with several professors at the school, to understand how they may be able to help support me in my prospective dissertation.
  • I also reached out to current and past students to understand more about their experience and how the schools pitch themselves.
  • I definitely encourage you to get at least one new recommendation letter, you can also try for a letter of support from those professors.
  • I'd also make sure the language in your resume matches the language the program uses in how they describe desirable candidates. 

Good advice Brittany. I was also rejected my first year. I came from a Social Work background and don't think I really understood what PH was or how I would use the DrPH to meet my goals. Some of my advice may be specific to those without an MPH/ PH background:

- really clarify my vision and how the DrPH was a necessary part of getting there.

- built relationships with faculty and students is a must. Name recognition can really help.

- engage in events with the school: webinars, on-campus events, whatever you are able. 

- If your GREs can be improved, do that 

- Take any feedback you received seriously and show you have addressed it.

- gaining admission may be a 2 or 3 year process so don't get discouraged.

- research experience if you can get it

- get a new job that is closer to what you want to do with the DrPH

Don't give up!

I just received acceptance into my last program!! Thank you guys for being an outlet these past several months!! Many congratulations to everyone who has been accepted, and to those who were not, please do not give up!! 

I am still waiting to find out from Columbia Mailman’s DrPH program. It says in their portal to email by 3/15 if we have not received a decision. I emailed on Friday and haven’t received any word... 

Edited by Rose petals

On 3/13/2019 at 12:19 PM, Late_Bloomer said:

I was rejected last year from all my schools. Here is what I learned from seeking feedback from anyone that would offer. Top Tier Schools do not want a list of accomplishments, they want a game plan. Your statement of purpose should tell them how or why you got to where you are now...and where you want to go. The big part however, is telling them why you need the Doctorate program you seek to act as an incubator or catalyst....you are a change agent right? Show them your change work. My undergraduate grades were horrible, but I turned it around and graduated cum laude from my MBA program. Grades are just an outcome measure so I made sure to show I have a great work history of proof that I can implement, lead, influence, understand policy, use statistics and data to solve problems, and create positive change. I pivoted from being a Quality Improvement engineer to running operations for an accountable care organization. I specifically told JHSPH that I want to copy our ACO pediatric model for helping at-risk kids and transpose it and build an ACO focused on Veterans. I linked all the things I have done, the mentors and leaders that wrote me recommendations, and I attached several power points of my work and abstracts (as well as awards for patient quality and safety). I submitted a full package that supported my statement of purpose...through my actual work.

Also, I networked my butt off. I called JHSPH and asked for alunmni and students I can speak with. I looked up the faculty and read through their published work and connected things that I also was focused on. I did a lot of homework on the program and the culture. All that feedback helped me better craft my application package and really understand what the program could do for me, if I went all in and poured myself into the work. I also made sure that my leadership knew I would be integrating what I studied into my daily work. They were excited for that and I asked them to write that in the recommendation letter as well.

Edited by BigTuna

7 hours ago, Dr Muhammed Koya said:

I got an email yesterday offering an interview 

Wow that’s so late considering that decisions were going to be communicated by the 15th. Congrats on getting an interview invite. Which track did you apply to... I applied to Sociomedical Sciences. Are interviews required for admission?

Edited by Rose petals

3 hours ago, TopofthemuffinTOYOU said:

Woohoo! CONGRATS! Where will you attend?

I "THINK" I'm going to be attending Colorado School of Public Health at University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus! The mentor match is amazing, and I absolutely love the assistantship I received. I never thought I would change my mind from my top choice, but here I am, changing my mind.