Fall 2019 Clinical Psych Interview Invites

29 minutes ago, ninjasub2 said:

advice on how to handle group interviews with director of program?

All I can say is be as respectful as possible. If the group interview turns out to be more of a free-flowing, back-and-forth conversation between applicants, don't be that person who totally dominates the conversation and won't let others speak. On the flipside, be appropriately assertive to ensure you actually say something! I was in a group interview where they had us just discuss topics, and one applicant didn't say anything the entire time. You'll shoot yourself in the foot by doing either of these things. Mostly I think they want to see that you have good answers, but also how easy it is to work with you for the next 5-6 years.

Edited by ilobebrains
added more

5 hours ago, LondonBoy said:

This is my question also. I am going to reach out to them today to find out. I remember reading on the website that application will be evaluated according to the order received (and mine was received right on the deadline day). 

That’s good to know! Mine was handed in pretty close to the deadline. If you hear anything please let me know ?

25 minutes ago, ninjasub2 said:

how do interviews with grad students typically go? are they generally relaxed?

I felt like the grad students had more questions than faculty. But nothing that would be impossible to answer (What do you do for self-care, how do you deal with criticism, etc.)

2 hours ago, ninjasub2 said:

2 hours ago, today.is.not.the.day said:

I felt like the grad students had more questions than faculty. But nothing that would be impossible to answer (What do you do for self-care, how do you deal with criticism, etc.)

Mine went the complete opposite, they didn't ask me anything lol. They expected for me to ask them lots of questions, which I did ;) 

11 minutes ago, checkingmyemail said:

Mine went the complete opposite, they didn't ask me anything lol. They expected for me to ask them lots of questions, which I did ;)

Yes, that's quite the opposite. They all had a list of questions I had to answer and then I had like five minutes to ask them questions.

3 hours ago, ninjasub2 said:

Depends! I had an interview today that was incredibly relaxed - both the professor and graduate student asked some very basic questions of me and I asked a lot of them in return. Now another interview I had last week with a professor and alumni, while not necessarily ultra stressful, I found to be much harder. The questions were quick, tricky at times, and went in unexpected directions based on what they honed in on. Like the phrasing of a particular answer ("Why'd you explain it that way?") or one certain aspect of my current work. 

8 hours ago, 41l1!I2 said:

Um, can the person who just got the acceptance to Columbia's clinical psych program (TC?) please post their lab? The interview literally just ended tonight. Wtf. Faculty are meeting next week. Can do it anonymously if you're uncomfortable

Was this on the results section? I was trying to find it haha

4 minutes ago, TheEternalGrad said:

Things are heating up again in the results section...

For a bunch of future mental health professionals, people can sure be nasty when it's under the guise of anonymity. 

Who else tried to Google who TM is? ?

6 minutes ago, dancedementia said:

For a bunch of future mental health professionals, people can sure be nasty when it's under the guise of anonymity. 

Who else tried to Google who TM is? ?

I really think that the Duke and Yale people are just trolls. Especially given the stats the alleged Yale person listed... Easy for me to say since I didn't apply to those programs but I think they should be ignored. Though I do live for internet drama tbh lol

55 minutes ago, buckeyepsych said:

I really think that the Duke and Yale people are just trolls. Especially given the stats the alleged Yale person listed... Easy for me to say since I didn't apply to those programs but I think they should be ignored. Though I do live for internet drama tbh lol

Yeah, the most recent posts where they're just spewing vitriol and narcissism seems super trollish to me. 

That said, I too am a huge drama sponge and can't help getting caught up in refreshing and reading it haha.