Roll Call 2019

I've noticed that many of us seem to have applied to the same schools, so our fates are intertwined. I was wondering what fields we're all in, since usually decisions are based on traditional categories (even when they're not exactly accurate). I figure this would be nice to know that way if you see that another Victorianist has been accepted somewhere you know if that's one less person to compete with or if they have probably taken your spot (though of course some places will take multiple students with the same specialization). Similarly, if a Medievalist is accepted at your top school, you can stress a bit less that they weren't REALLY competing with you directly.

So, what are y'all? How do you think schools will categorize you when making decisions?

I'm a Feminist and Gender theorist, primarily in 20th-century poetry! Depending on whether departments are theory driven, genre driven, or period driven, I'll probably be lumped in with Feminist Theory, Poetics, or 20th-C. At Northwestern, I specifically requested the Poetics track, whereas for most other programs I emphasized Feminist/Gender theory.

Hi all! Depending on the program, I'm either in a "literature and the environment" or colonial/postcolonial literature subfield. I'm into poco/eco, particularly in relation to 20th century Anglo/francophone literatures of West Africa, the Caribbean, and the US South. I'm coming from a Comp Lit M.A., but decided to apply to mostly English PhD programs. 

Hi, everyone! I'm an  Americanist with a particular emphasis on constructions of racial identity in the American novel as well as literary history and its engagement with popular culture between the wars (1918-1939; Harlem Renaissance and Lost Generation writers tend to be primary figures I focus on). 

As I'm sure we all have, I've gone through some quite a few phases. As an undergrad, I was mostly interested in European modernism, queer theory, and critical theory (a la Ranciere, Jameson, Sianne Ngai).

I've since switched to modernist and contemporary novels from the Caribbean and the diaspora (primarily francophone for the moment, think: Glissant, Chamoiseau, Condé). I still love theory but I'm now broadly studying alternative temporalities across a range of fields (poco, Black Studies, queer theory, phenomenology).

I've applied to Comp Lit programs as well as English programs that seemed hospitable to what is in essence a comparative project... We'll see who will have me!

Edited by FiguresIII

I'm probably going to be classified as a cultural studies candidate (which is worrisome for some of the English depts I'm applying to) but I'm focusing on Asian-American and African-American textual/visual culture, specifically Afro-Indian discourse. Not sure which pool(s) I'll be in!

Edited by swarthmawr

I am applying to PhD programs. My research interests are situated somewhere between the intersections of 20th/21st U.S. literature, continental philosophy, and critical legal studies. Those are probably some of the buzz-words that would be in my grad student profile *fingers crossed*

I'm interested in intersections of marginalization (mostly) in modern literature, with a focus on feminism and women's writing.  I think the novel that best sums up my interests is Ana Castillo's So Far from God, in which she discusses feminist issues and queerness, alongside Chicana identity and disability, amongst other topics.  I'm also fascinated by disability poetics, which is why I'm hoping I actually get into Ohio State this year (was wait listed last year)- they have a seminar on disability studies that I would be so happy to attend.

Edited by kendalldinniene