What hobbies do you have that you hope to continue in grad school?

placeinspace

As I struggle with anxiety over waiting to hear back, I'm trying to throw myself into other stuff. I'm a runner so I got a new coach and am beginning a new training plan to try and distract from the waiting. I'm also hoping to continue running races and training if I get into a program- it will really help me manage the stress.

Any hobbies you guys have that you're using in waiting and hope to continue in grad school?

Good idea for a thread! I enjoy lifting weights and pilates - I've let those things slip the last month in the rush to get my applications submitted, but I will get back on track during the holiday break. My hope is that I'll be able to get a dog after settling in at grad school, but I've heard mixed opinions on that one (re: time commitment, expenses). If only my partner wasn't allergic to cats! 

Edited by dougie

I find yoga to be really relaxing both physically and mentally! Also cooking, and doing creative writing. Cooking and yoga are especially good hobbies for me as a busy student; since I have to exercise and eat to be healthy anyway, might as well make it fun and relaxing!

2 hours ago, dougie said:

My hope is that I'll be able to get a dog after settling in at grad school, but I've heard mixed opinions on that one (re: time commitment, expenses). If only my partner wasn't allergic to cats! 

Yeah, I am a passionate dog owner and feel adopting a dog was the best choice I've ever made, but I acknowledge the commitment is pretty steep (it's once of my biggest concerns about going back to school!).

Most probably working out! Something I'd like to keep! 

But I want to be able to read more books (fantasy/ supernatural - something I like)! and some autobiography!

Volunteer at an animal shelter

Definitely learn how to photoshop and programming! 

I’m getting my masters now and audiobooks, crocheting and blogging really save my sanity. Once I hopefully get into a PhD program I’m prob gonna adopt an older dog. I’d be a first time sole owner and I’ve heard a lot of positive experiences with getting dogs from PhD students in my field 

On 12/19/2018 at 5:05 PM, isagirlsname said:

I want to start a Dungeons and Dragons campaign during my time in grad school. Since it's both a social gathering and a creative outlet I think this would be a beneficial hobby.

D&D and other tabletop RPGs are one of my favorite ways to de-stress and fit in time with friends outside the lab!

I've also been involved in community/school theater since I was in high school. I probably wouldn't have time for acting, but I hope I still have a chance to support local theater wherever I end up.

I've been doggedly sticking with reading for pleasure throughout my first semester of grad school. Most people in my cohort think I'm nuts since we have so much other reading, but novels are and always have been my grounding force and a welcome escape from everyday life. I mostly just read while eating but still was able to get through a few books.

Of course, now that I'm on break and have ample time for pleasure reading I've been binge-watching and playing computer games instead. I watched both seasons of The Handmaid's Tale in a week, which was probably not a great decision since it invaded my thoughts and gave me paranoid dreams. I'm still recovering from it! ?

Edited by bibliophile222

For everyone feeling guilty about not studying all the time; read tinker, dabble, doodle, try (by Srini Pillay) for some scientific proof that it is GOOD and probably even productive to do other things (quite often). 

I love traveling, photography, cinema, music, and computer games from time to time. I also binge on netflix regularly :) Hope to pick up a new instrument next academic year.

I've recently picked up embroidery as a hobby and I'm loving it! I found that in undergrad all of the work I produced was typed papers and when those are submitted digitally there's really nothing concrete to show for the time I spent working on it. this was a way to have a physically productive and creative hobby. I also enjoy podcasts, long walks, reading, and yoga. Hopefully I'll have time for at least some of these during grad school!

My husband and i love hiking and going camping. We’re really hoping for me to get into a school near a city that will allow for this. Other than these hobbies, I also enjoy reading and watching series. I’ve added The Handmaid’s Tale to my list. Any other recommendations for good series?

4 hours ago, ASDadvocate said:

My husband and i love hiking and going camping. We’re really hoping for me to get into a school near a city that will allow for this. Other than these hobbies, I also enjoy reading and watching series. I’ve added The Handmaid’s Tale to my list. Any other recommendations for good series?

Mad Men is my everything. ?

On 12/30/2018 at 6:49 PM, ASDadvocate said:

I’ve added The Handmaid’s Tale to my list. Any other recommendations for good series?

“This is Us.” Hulu has it I believe. Prepare to cry your eyes out. Currently, I don’t know what to do with myself, since the season resumes in a couple of weeks, but hands down my favorite at the moment.

Also if you’re into psych-thrillers, I recently watched “Birdbox” (On Netflix). It was lovely. And Tom (male protagonist) is also eye-candy lovely lol 

On 12/30/2018 at 5:49 PM, ASDadvocate said:

Any other recommendations for good series?

Breaking Bad is a standard answer here, but it's worth it! If you want something fun/light, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is sort of a tv equivalent of a beach read. And if you want a sitcom, The Good Place is pretty unbeatable! 

I really enjoy hiking, so hopefully there will be some good trails near where I end up if I get in anywhere.  I know Ithaca has some, so that would be cool.

Also, I really like football and other sports and it'd be fun to go to sporting events wherever I end up to take my mind off things.

I really enjoy cooking as well so I'll try to find time for that.

This is a great question. During my MA I played a lot of Lego (AFOL here), painted, played board/video games, and built/maintained a fort in the woods. 

During my PhD (if accepted) I'll be far away from people and will have more time, so I'm hoping to volunteer more, write more, and camp more! Maybe I'll socialize or get a second cat. 

Currently I'm just enjoying the free time afforded after the 'ole 8-5 lets out and I'm not working on application materials ☺️

I like playing video games (either esports or indie Steam games), which I really want to continue in grad school. If possible, I would like to take some art courses and learning drawing.