Interviews/Acceptances/Rejections Fall 2019

sociopolitic

Hello! Like a few others, I was reluctant to post here because I was worried it would jinx me or something lol. Anyway, I can claim one of the Ohio State acceptances! It is the first school I've heard back from and I'm super relieved by the good news. What schools are you guys most anxious to hear back from? My top schools are Cornell and Northwestern (and Wisconsin-Madison, but you know...it's Wisconsin-Madison lol). 

On 1/12/2019 at 1:08 AM, Sercan_ said:

Any international applicant who have heard from the UC Irvine?

I am an international applicant, too! After seeing UCI admitted posts, I received a general Thank You For Application email from Graduate Admissions, saying that they have forwarded my application to sociology department on Jan. 18. So I guess international applications will be reviewed later? I am not sure tho, as I am hoping to hear from UCI too!

6 hours ago, ALieNNatioN said:

I am an international applicant, too! After seeing UCI admitted posts, I received a general Thank You For Application email from Graduate Admissions, saying that they have forwarded my application to sociology department on Jan. 18. So I guess international applications will be reviewed later? I am not sure tho, as I am hoping to hear from UCI too!

The same.

5 hours ago, Grek said:

So the applications to those schools that have sent out offers can be considered rejected if there is no updated information now?

Big hands to those receiving offers!

I don't think that's necessarily the case. It seems both of us who've been contacted by UW Madison got our bachelor degree from a foreign country. So I'm guessing maybe it's earlier for us simply because of administrative reasons about hard-copy transcripts or something like that...

On 1/17/2019 at 12:33 PM, Esenabla said:

congrats to the two who posted their invites to visit day at notre dame!

do either of you (or anybody here) know if they're done sending out invites? if so, should not receiving one (my case, as of now) be interpreted as a rejection? this may be an overly-optimistic thought, but i live pretty far away from the university, so i thought that distance could possibly be a factor as to who is offered the invite and who isn't

I think everyone who’s under consideration has been invited and international students will be doing online interviews. If you’re in the USA distance makes no difference. 

1 hour ago, Lara5 said:

has anyone applied to the mphil in sociology at Cambridge university? if so, have you received a response?

Hey! I'm an MPhil there now and I applied. They have a "committee meeting" tomorrow which will likely be a time where they make a lot of application decisions. I would check tomorrow evening/friday to see if there is a change in your app via the portal. The app stages are submitted- under consideration by department- graduate committee- board of graduate studies. If you get to the graduate studies phase, you're as good as in if you didn't lie on your application (it is largely a ticking boxes step). In my experience, the sociology department usually doesn't indicate if you've been passed from the department to the graduate committee, so you would likely go straight from under consideration by the department to the board of graduate studies. 

Who did you put as your supervisor/what are your research interests? 

Rejected from Madison! Kind of expected it as I pretty much expect to be rejected from everywhere I applied, reached too high. But it’s nice to finally get a decision from somewhere at least. I wonder if I will hear from Berkeley this week.

Edited by markhame

Hey all! New here (tried to stay away in worries of jinxing myself) but now that I have an offer in hand I'm happy to chime in! 

I'm one of the lucky Ohio State acceptances and I have an interview at Rice (over Valentines Day! How romantic!) Just got a rejection from Madison as well, @markhame! It was definitely one of the nicer rejections I've received! 

Still waiting on 11 other schools. I was very freaked going into applications and may have over submitted... Ah well! 

Welcome!!! I only have one acceptance in hand (Irvine) and waiting to hear back from 7 schools. Trying not to be too terrified, given that I WILL be attending somewhere in the fall. Even so, I have so much anxiety.

8 hours ago, socchi92 said:

Welcome!!! I only have one acceptance in hand (Irvine) and waiting to hear back from 7 schools. Trying not to be too terrified, given that I WILL be attending somewhere in the fall. Even so, I have so much anxiety.

i feel the exact same-- i already know i got into OSU and i'd be happy to go there but i still feel filled with anxiety for all the other schools i'm waiting on haha